New 2012 Honda NC700X 700cc Parallel Twin!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Two Plugs, Sep 27, 2011.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    from the words you guys use, it looks like two plugs has done his job and convinced you guys there is a new africa twin.
  2. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Dust Buster. That is one nice looking transalp....is it yours? Do you have any more pics? How about Info on parts and upgrades on that thing? :evil
  3. Dust Buster

Dust Buster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All or mostly Touratech parts i think. No not my bike, found it with a simple google pic search, i have an Ktm 990S -08,
  4. sbn

sbn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok thanks. I found it on the internet. Its from the xrv.org.uk forum website.

Nice bike you have the ktm 990S I sold my 990 from 06 this summer because I want a smaller bike like the transalp.
  5. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is my feeling exactly, can you say Super Motard for example?

Even if you are planning for 80/20 or even 90/10 street/dirt usage, the bikes that begin as dirtbikes are more comfortable, stronger, and "generally" lighter to start with. The only bad thing about some is they need the steering geometry revised for higher speed street riding to make them more stable at speed.
  6. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't understand why Honda isn't making an attempt to sell this bike in the States. It looks very competitive to what others are offering and more attractive to me than much of the existing Honda line up.

For example, I find this more attractive than a Versys and it's got the right sized wire wheels to start with.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    comprehending why Honda has done anything lineup wise in the last few years is a fruitless endeavor. :baldy

many years ago, i thought Honda was the best brand to own...
    when mr honda died so did the fire.
  8. Stormforce8

Stormforce8 Farkle Tart

Oddometer:
    :nod
  9. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    :huh
  10. Banjax

Banjax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just had a re-read of the MCN and Honda press release cockwaffle.
    They seem to be mentioning "pleasant throbbing" a bit too much.:evil
    Are they going for the Gay market with these bikes?.
  11. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pleasant Throbbing?, a nice rasp?

Is that the UK mob again?

They seem to have a very different priority list than me, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Cheers
    Graham
  12. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Ever picked up BIKE magazine from the UK....Brilliantly done.....

but.....heavy emphasis on road bikes and racing....not alot on off-road type machinery. Doesn't seem to be a priority over there.

Stormforce has his work cut out for him changing the minds of all those people.
  13. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd have to agree.

I feel they also lost their vision or maybe it just became seriously blurred.

These days I don't see anything in their American market lineup that I am interested in. Maybe if they made a CRF650X that was street legal ......... :evil
  14. Two Plugs

Two Plugs Born to be blunt Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of chats (not only at ADVrider, but also on other forums around the Globe) about the way Honda is riding right now regarding design & developpement of new (heavy) motorcycles.

I think that the main- reason for the 'custommer complains' towards Honda are based on the fact that their R&D departement is developing heavy motorcycles which don't appeal to the public as much as Honda's have done in the past... Read the comments f.e. from the VFR community on the new 1200... And the Transalp community over the new 700 (Which I think is also a very, very good bike - but it doesn't appeal to the loyal Transalp/Africa Twin public). That is the key problem here. Not the fact if the bike is good or poor, but the emotion which comes with it...

Besides that... I love the finishing touch of the VFR. The bike ís put together very, very well and like I stated in my roadtest report, on that level the VFR1200 sets new standards. But that's it. There is no emotion at 'the Wings of Honda' anymore.

15. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    they have become a niche motorcycle company, and their niche is Fat people.
    Fat, lazy, obese - the motorcycle and the prospective customer

16. deputygene

deputygene Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it means anything, but I sent in one of the petitions for Honda to bring the Transalp to the US. I included my phone number and actually got a call back. The Honda guy seemed interested in my opinion, what I wanted and hinted to keep watching the Honda website. I will buy a 2012 Transalp if they bring it here.
  17. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you really buy one? Have you ever even sat on one?
    I had 2 of them here in my garage a few months ago. They did not impress me at all. They are a nice looking bike but, not great looking and nothing like the africa twin. They also have way more plastic than the old model which was a complete disaster here in the states back in the day.

There is no way the transalp will be brought here to compete with the wee strom. You have to remember that the USA is not a very profitable place to sell motorcycles. It's a great place to get rid of volume and if the buyers in Europe are happy paying the price they do for them, why sell them here for pennies of profit. The problem is when the volume does not sell, then the bike is a loss maker.

I'll say it again, reintroduce the Africa twin, give it the same bodywork as the old model, better motor and suspension and it will be a serious contender for the new strom and blow the tiger and the GS 800 out of the water.

Can someone please stop pressing the snooze button at the Honda plant and wake them up to whats going on in the market.
  18. deputygene

deputygene Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden a new one, that's for sure. But, I have sat on, and even rode, an 89 TA. I liked it, liked the seating position, the smooth power, and the ride. That one was for sale, but I didn't have the money right then and it was gone when I had the money up.
    I would love to see the Africa Twin re-introduced, however they are out of production and the TransAlp is not. They are popular in Europe, known for their reliability. I like the plastics on the older TA better, but the new TA's looks good too. I think it would be just the ticket for my wife and I. Yeah, I think the price point would be competitive with the WEE, and I would buy one.
    Here is a link to a review of a 700 TA. Also compares to older 600 TA.
    http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/21769-got-ride-new-transalp-700-a-3.html
    [​IMG]
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i've always liked this modded one.

Attached Files:

20. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not think that Transalp 700 would do well anywhere. Actually it did not do well so far on this side of the pond. I mean - did not do well in sales.
    I know I am going to get some owners angry at me for this, but I rode it and it is so...so....I do not know...pizza delivery bike feel. Boring. Nothing stands out. Slow in comparison with quite a few bikes, squishy handling in comparison with other quite a few, not really pretty and pain in the a...e to service (dear God, I lost count of screws to get closer to engine). WAY to heavy to even resemble adventure bike. It's just kinda UJM without kick. Many people like it, many don't. But isn't riding at least in a bit about excitement and pushing it? Isn't it reason several makes broke through in market share? Isn't it easier to buy 1993 Honda Civic and ride it without single hitch for one million kms if it would be just about moving a to b?
    And when I say soul or feel - do not tell me that "soul means unreliable etc". I won't agree. I have my old VTR1000F and that motor is full of soul and sound to go with it, yet it is reliable and friendly machine to ride. Even Goldwing have that. Even Deauville have that - it's oddball looks at least! Africa was so popular because it was so different approach to adventure bike. And surprisingly easy taking spills. But new Alp...in my native language we have saying "not fish, nor meat". This is so much about new alp. I am amazed at people lusting over it without even trying what it is.

Rant off.

TwoPlugs, are they surely going to show new bikes on EICMA? Reason - I am going (for something else) there with whole bunch of friends and may be need to take good camera with me?