I've got serious issues, I want a Harley

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotoADHD, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Gernick

Gernick Long timer

Oddometer:

I looked at a 48 today. It's ass jewelry. But me likey. I need to take one for a spin later this year.
  2. nwdub

nwdub Banned

Oddometer:
    i ride exclusively sport bikes, my daily is a zx-10

I rode a dudes cruiser the other day and fell in love.

I want a harley but cant afford it. maybe a vulcan 2000
  3. fxdlrider

fxdlrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a v-30 Magna in high school. When I turned 19 I bought a '94 FXDL. All my buddies were riding crotch rockets, and other misc. bikes. For the most part I kept up with them and beat the crap out of my bike. Attempted wheelies, burnies, etc. Never did anything but change oil and a voltage regulator. It's still the one I ride. Go for it. I don't think you will regret it. I don't know what it is about a Harley, but I will never be without one.

[​IMG]
  4. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get the Fat Bob. I've never ridden one, but I understand it's one of the better handling HD's. I've rented a Wide Glide and LOVED the visceral feeling of the bike. I've also rented a Fat Boy (not Fat Bob) and found it sort of the equivalent of the Yamaha Road Star I had at the time.

I recently had my 1st bike accident and am just about healed up. I have to put my bike back together (2007 Suzuki SV1KS), but would LOVE a HD Dyna. The Fat Bob would probably be my choice.

DO IT!!!
  5. IBrakeForBBQ

IBrakeForBBQ n00b

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a Vulcan 900 (V-Twin cruiser). Loved the ergonomics, but the bike was loud and was an uncivilized experience on the highway (your teeth would rattle out of your head past 70 mph).

My next bike was a Versys 650 (Parallel Twin). Light weight, smooth motor, fun in traffic, and quiet. Very easy to ride in all situations, but to me, it wasn't comfortable over long trips.

My most recent bike is a marriage of the two, a 2011 Triumph America (Parallel Twin cruiser). Comfortable, light weight (the web site says 550 lbs, the manual says 498 lbs), quiet, smooth motor, nimble in traffic, good on the highway. It's light enough to be fun in traffic and easy to ride in all situations, and powerful enough to be quite tame on the highway at 80 mph (though you'll need a non-triumph aftermarket windshield as the Triumph options are quite unimpressive).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone's needs are different. For me I wanted comfort, reliability, and a good all-purpose bike. Heavy cruisers are great for long tours but no fun in the city, and smaller V-Twins struggle on the highway. The America seems to find a perfect fit right in the middle for $8K. They also make a 1600/1700 Thunderbird and Thunderbird Storm, and a 2300cc beast of a machine, the Rocket 3.

The other nice thing about the Triumph, everyone loves a Triumph. Sport bike riders, dual sport riders, Harley riders, everywhere I go people stop and check out the bike. I get stopped at red lights all the time from riders and non-riders alike. It's a bike that can fit in with just about any crowd.

I can't offer much in regards to the Harley as I've never ridden one. I'm sure a larger displacement V-Twin (which you'll get with most of the Harley's) will do just fine on the highway offering a more pleasant experience than I had on the Vulcan, and you can get serviced in any city in America. I'm definitely not suggesting someone shouldn't buy one. Just adding another idea to the mix.

You might even like the Triumph Scrambler. Same motor, standard riding position, closer to the bikes you're already used to, but more cruiser-like.

[​IMG]

And they can look pretty slick customized.

[​IMG]
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Very nice...
  7. PMC

PMC riding rider

Oddometer:
    Bought my first HD last year at 41 and this was the first bike I've owned that the wife was pumped about. She has ridden both with me and her own bike in the past but really wasn't ever comfortable on any of the bikes we'd/she'd owned. We did about an hour test ride on an ultra limited and she was sold.

I'm not a ride around the city cruiser guy and I don't wear pirate gear, my riding gear of choice (for both of us) is still Aerostich with full face helmets. My main purpose for the bike is weekend trips and one or two week long trips a year and so far it's been fantastic. I have never been so comfortable doing 4-500 mile days on a bike. Between the riding position and having a stereo, cruise control and being able to control the air flow around me it's the bike for me.

The bike I sold to finance this one was a Ducati 1198... quite the change.

I still have a KTM 640 Adventure which I don't see getting rid of anytime soon but I am selling my Vstrom as it's lost it's nich in my garage to the Limited.

Thought about a Goldwing but didn't even make it for a test ride. Also thought about the Bimmer 1600 but at the time there was a long wait time and the passenger perch just looked a bit high to me.

Good luck and enjoy the hell out of whatever you decide on.
  8. Matchanu

Matchanu Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I really, really wanted to like this bike. I was in love with the looks, thought it would be a great all around bike. Took it for a test ride as was very disapointed with the performance.

It's not a slug, but it just lacks guts, charactor, something. For a lot of Scram owners this isn't an issue so I don't pretend to speak for them or be the "knower of all things motorcycle". It's a lovely bike in many ways.

Now, if HD ever made a version of this bike I would be sold.
  9. IBrakeForBBQ

IBrakeForBBQ n00b

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden one myself. I went to buy one a few weeks back but couldn't test drive it and didn't want to risk having a bike that was uncomfortable for all day rides so I went with something I could test drive and ended up with the America.

As far as performance, a 900 is the biggest motor I have ever ridden. I can leave cars behind at the light, but not like a sport bike. It does the speed limit comfortably for me at any speed, and that's all I really wanted. If I ever got on a bigger bike, I may suddenly become less happy with mine, which is why I deliberately don't test drive anything that's bigger than my own bike. :)
  10. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Retro Triumphs are cool. My wife has a Bonneville and I really enjoy riding it. No replacement for a Harley though. Completely different, but not in a bad way.
  11. hadye

hadye The Pharaoh

Oddometer:
    So why don't you go with a VROD , sporty liquid cooled & a Harley [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  12. socalmoe

socalmoe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks great, i saw the vivid black with the Screaming Eagle upgrades and I think I fell in love with HD all over again.
  13. CdnGS

CdnGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PMC

Going thru the exact same process. Down to the HD Limited (first choice on looks and features) with the K16GTL as #2. Waitng to test ride both. Also considered the wing but after looking and sitting on one in the showroom I lost total Interest. Decision this spring and then adios amigo to the GS. Been a good bike but I'm pushing the big 5-0 and am looking for LD comfort for myself and the bride.

Any regrets on the Limited?
  14. sargev55

sargev55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

you have to do the basic upgrades to open up the motor, its a bit different after that. it will have soul and character after that. the classic style triumphs and harleys are stupidly restricted from the factory.
  15. sargev55

Oddometer:

i would love a thruxton or scrambler in addition to my roadster. probably more the scrambler, i would take it off road :D
  16. sargev55

Oddometer:

nothing wrong with the triumph america.
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not a real powerful bike. I would go with the STORM. :1drink
  18. Doktor O.

Doktor O. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ridden the Fat Bob. I personally LOVED it and if I had the cash to drop on one I would go to the dealer right now. I'm currently in the market for a Sportster 1200R. I had one when I just got out of high school and I loved it. (I'll be 23 this June) I want a bike that will be good for around town and short trips because my current bike, while it's my favorite bike I have ever owned, is sometimes in need of maintenance and I CAN"T deal with not being able to ride when it's took apart in the garage. Even if it's only a few days :lol3... I'm actually selling my truck and going all motorcycle (like my fiance :deal:evil)... We will have a car to share but I'm going to take the jump cause I hate the cages.

But it seems like you guys are justifying buying one cause you are older... Hell I just like them! :lol3... They are stone cold reliable and don't chew up tires like my 990 ADV :deal... I can get behind that idea:D. When I decided I wanted to go all bike I wanted something reliable... sooo I thought a four cylinder sport bike would be good... yeah, but it EATS tires like my 990 does so that's out. Plus I don't like the plastic everywhere and they are uncomfortable... then I thought about a LC4 supermoto... but I don't want to loose my license... so that's out... I kept thinking back to that Sporty and I kept saying "damn, I miss that bike" so I started thinking of reasons why it would be a great second bike.

-nimble for around town (not too nimble like that supermoto that would get me in trouble :deal)
    -SUPER reliable... Hit the button... go...
    -no valve adjustments :freaky
    -no chain adjustments
    -they are damn stylish
    -put the right pipes on it and they sound GREAT! (NOT TOO LOUD THOUGH:stfu)
    -only one carb to mess with if I get a carbed model.
    -super good gas mileage
    -parts are easy to find for cheap
    -Harley has the best customer service out of any business I have ever dealt with.

Really the only draw back I have found is there is not 6th gear and you cant gear it a bit higher cause it's belt drive... but hey that's why I have the 990 for my primary bike...

I say go for it and don't listen to the haters :deal
  19. Taxguy

Taxguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I understand the itch for a Harley. I am 50 and have had numerous bikes including Beemers, 950ADV, Vmaxes, and many dual sport and dirt bikes. But I am finding myself looking at the Road Glide Ultra. I can't explain it but it looks like I will end up with one.
  20. royal

royal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After owning (In order) a Suzuki Vstrom 650, Honda St1300, BMW LT, BMW RT1200, and a Kawasaki Concours, I just picked up a 2012 Electra Glide Classic.

I'm 51 and tired of being uncomfortable and I'm all done with riding aggressively. Not that any of my previous bikes were bad, but I always felt that they just weren't right for me. I, purposely, avoided Harleys because I just didn't want to be like everyone else on the road. However, I've always loved the way the big tourers looked. To me, they have nailed how a motorcycle should look.

Like a previous poster has already said, when I ride my new Harley, I can't help but laugh and smile. I've found the joy in riding again that I was missing. To Hell with what others think. I'm no pirate and I don't have the luxury of a lot of leisure time. What little time I can find, I want to enjoy. So far, the new bike is exactly what the doctor ordered. And isn't that what motorcycling should bring us ? Miles of smiles ? If it doesn't then you are on the wrong bike or in the wrong leisure activity.
    Tbone likes this.