Ural or GS hack?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by GypsyWriter, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    It all depends on how hard you push it and where you go. I started off on an R12GS hack and was perfectly happy with it...until traversing northern Ontario on a Sunday. My range per fill was 150-170, but in rural parts of the continent that's about how far apart the gas stations are. Sure, you can carry more fuel, but it's hard to find places to carry the extra 4 gallons you get with the GSA. Plus the enduro tranny is nice in hill country. So I bought a GSA and switched the hack from one bike to the other. Really happy with that decision!

On the other hand, there are a lot of bikes doing fairly long trips that have a 150 mile range. They plan ahead, tend not to pass gas stations, and do just fine.
  2. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    TGM

That Dallas ad was flagged. The giveaway was the background was not Texas and the license plate was not Texas.
    Have seen that same ad with same photos posted in other states CL at various prices.

A good-looking GS rig under $10 grand raises suspicions and questions.

Ride safe
    CCjon
  3. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a ready to go R1100GS rig for sale, very well equiped $13,000
    The bike is in good working order with 115,000 miles. I purchased it from the original owner who was an airplane mechanic who took great care of it and never had it off road. The bike is very clean ready to ride anywhere.
    I built this to be my own bike however it is for sale as I will be buying an R1250GS when they come out.
    It has the folloing.
    M72D sidecar,
    Color matched black paint
    Steering modifications.
    Automotive rear wheel on bike and matching interchangable wheel on the sidecar.
    Windshield
    Tonneau cover
    Carpet
    Carpet in the trunk.
    Power outlet BMW type
    Power outlet Cig lighter type.
    Winch
    Electric trim
    2 one gallon Roto Pax fuel canisters.
    Rear heavy duty rack
    Brembo disk brake on its own pedal
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    On my Ural Tourist I was more than willing to take a break when the stock tank needed topping off. On my GSA rig I am looking to take a break when it too needs topping off. The big difference is that my GSA holds over 8 gallons and now I'm going 270+ miles per tank!

Many of the Urals don't have windshields on the tubs or tugs which are a major source of wind resistance and gas mileage reduction.
  5. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got to agree with Boondox here.My 03 GSA has avery nice cruising range. Close to 9gal it does help.On the way to the MOA Nationals..I could of made it there on 2 tanks,but I filled more times than I really needed to do, I live 538 mi. away.I've seen both of Boondoxes rigs,the new one is really nice..Choose wisely my son..They aren't cheap to build..But worth it... Good Luck
  6. workerant

workerant Spaß im Dreck

Oddometer:
    I've got an R100GS hack but I've never ridden a Ural so I can't exactly do a taste test for you. My rig is a Sputnik car (The Tetanus Tub!) on a DMC frame. It's mostly used as a dogsled, but my dog is shy and just sleeps on the floor of the car.

I enjoy riding my outfit; I'm taking it to the Old's Cool campout this weekend in Tellico Plains, but it can be a handful. It requires a lot of upper body strength to steer (oh for a leading link front end) so I can't ride all day on the thing. Being a woman, upper body strength isn't exactly my long suit.

[​IMG]
  7. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    The front end on your R100 can be modified to lower the steering effort. There are many ways to do this on the R100, Leading link front end which is what we usualy do in house. Brock at side-effects www.sidecar.ca or Perry's sidecars in Texas also has a set up. The leading link is by far the most expensive.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  8. drrider1

drrider1 just running amuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hay: I got an idea why doncha trade the afrorementioned R100 gs for my ural:evilthen you"ll have the best of both worlds?:wink:
  9. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    Lol!! Nope, I think I'll be keeping that R100 as is, it's too pretty to hack up!!

I've been contemplating whether to go with the GS Rallye or a Sand GSA for the sidecar rig. I love the idea of the GSA tank size, but could also just get some Rotopax if I need more fuel. Plus, I've heard the GSA Enduro tranny is better suited for hauling a sidecar rig due to the taller gears (1st - 3rd), is that true? Would putting those gears in the GS gearbox make start-offs easier carrying the sidecar? :ear
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    LOWER 1st gear. Generally when talking about gearing, taller = faster, lower =slower
  11. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:
    They are each a compromise, each for a different purpose. I have not read the whole thread but I am sure that has been already said.
    For one that does it all the Ural is it. In my book "reverse" mainly has been a Life saver. 2WD is nice also. Using it though for what it designed for if you want it to last... not 70mph all day! Just cruise at a nice pace... mine is about 50-55mph. Lots of Photography and I can even talk to Spirit while we ride.
    Or, of course, you can have both. Makes Life a bit complicated when full time on the road...

[​IMG]

Ara and Spirit
  12. GypsyWriter

GypsyWriter Yup, I'm a girl.

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling that the day I get my sidecar, my riding style will change dramatically. Obviously it must to some extent, but I'll probably be a tad more comfortable going off-road and will schedule my trips accordingly. :clap I prefer back roads to the interstate but need the capability of highway speeds as that's what we live near.

Got my quotes from DMC for the Rallye rig on Friday, now to just sync our schedules and scramble together the funds. A bit harder to do from the near opposite side of the country (we're heading onto the Blue Ridge Parkway today :thumb) but I'm super excited!!!