Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I haven't had 4-strokes bikes long enough to know for sure, but I don't think that was a lean burn through. It doesn't look melted, it looks like something hit it.
  2. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:

I see a guy on a newer DR jumping on I-70 WB at the Norwich exit (164) some mornings anywhere from 5:30-6:30. That you?
  3. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

Steve's right...its not a burnt/melted piston...something punched through it. Not sure what or how yet. Havent torn it down any further to see if I can find what did it. The cam and rocker damage is most certainly an oil starvation issue though. Gonna have to tear the bottom end down pretty much completely and go through everything...1. to clean out any loose bits of metal and maybe find the cause of the holed piston and 2. to go through all the oil passages to see if theres any blockages.

edit: the more I think about it, the more I'm wondering if it got hot enough due to oil starvation for the piston to become super brittle and then the explosion of the air/fuel mixture getting spark blew through it. I had the bike shut down on me once before due to it getting hot due to improper oil level. perhaps theres only so many times you can get away with that before the piston gives up the ghost.
  4. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Welcome! Sounds like you're in my neck of the woods.
  5. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

craig, you're central, but not very east...I'm thinking Rich is in the Stuebenville/East Liverpool area

but I've been wrong before...
  6. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    All depends on what you mean by east-central I suppose....if you mean the entire breadth of the state as being central, then the eastern part would be over by the river. If you mean central being the center of the state (as a circular region), then I'm on the east side of that.

I refer to Ohio as the latter. If I were in Steubenville I would say I was in the far eastern portion of Ohio, as opposed to central.
  7. vanaman

vanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    your cam looks just like mine that i showed you at toms.
  8. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    yeah pretty much...but do you have the holed piston to go along with it?
  9. vanaman

vanaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nope :D
  10. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

then I win! :lol3
  11. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Man I wish you were coming tonight so you could explain that theory in more detail while drinking:lol3
  12. Just GO!

Just GO! I wish I were good at something.

Oddometer:

He probably was drinking.
  13. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I'm on a health kick, lately I've just been drinking my own urine to flush the toxins out of my system, or something.

It's made me super smart, I believe.

Wait, wut?

Anyway, if you google "Central Ohio" and look at the standard definitions of that region you'll see most people consider it to be the center of the state, with my county being the eastern-part of that.

[​IMG]
  14. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    Awesome. I hope you bring your laptop also so you make sure you cover all facets of Central OH :lol3

Are you sure you can't call off tonight because I'm really interested in this :lol3
  15. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I'm working on a 40 page pamphlet about the geographical naming conventions of the greater Ohio Valley, and it will be available in PDF form....but sadly I will not be giving a presentation this evening. I have to rearrange my sock drawer.

:D
  16. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    maybe you can combine the two...a presentation on the geographical naming conventions of central Ohio using the sock drawer as a diorama :lol3
  17. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Don't give him ideas! If he has a sock puppet show about central Ohio I'm blaming YOU! :lol3
  18. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
  19. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dragoon sez:

"where's east central OH? "

Ok...thought I had the location in my profile, but I didn't :cry I am a bit east of Frazeysburg...but definitely not Stuebenville east :eek1

I live near the big city of Stone Creek......but not in the big city, out in the hills..... :clap
  20. bruceride

bruceride City Boy

Oddometer:
    Stone Creek is awesome! My family is from there and my aunt and uncle still live there. My grandma's house used to be right across the street from the brick yard. I spent many Saturdays as a boy shooting tin cans in the pond behind the brickyard with a .22 :evil