Post ride tips on Baja

Discussion in 'Americas' started by tallpaul63, Dec 11, 2012.

1. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    I know the tarmac goes South of Puertecitos now. Can anyone tell me how far South the tarmac goes.
    Does the road meet into Route 1 ?
    How much of it is dirt ?

I am heading to La Paz next week and taking he ferry to Mazatlan, have ridden Route 1 before and Route 3 about 10 miles South of Puertecitos.I know the road has gone further now.
    I am riding a R1200GS, washboard, gravel, dirt OK, but it doesn't like deep sand when loaded.

Would I have any problem taken Route 3 all the way South to meet Route 1. ?

Thank you for any information. A lot of good facts on this thread.
  2. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Most Mexican insurance policy's do not have any medical payment on them, make sure you have a policy with an evacuation clause in there so if any thing happens they will get you back to the States, most of the normal policy's will have this but the real low cost ones don't.

$300,00.00 is the lowest you need to get now but they recommend $500,00.00 and it is not much more. ( I am going with the 300.00.00.) If you think you may be there for a while the difference between a two week policy and a 6 month policy is not a lot.

You must have the original registration to get a temp import visa for your bike a copy of the registration will not do.

If you are going down soon you must stop and see the whales, one of the only places in the world you may get to pet one of these massive mammals swimming with their new born calfs. It amazing ! I have been to four different lagoons and had the best experience out of San Ignacio. $50 from the town in a van ( you can ride your bike) 4 hours on the lagoon, and an all you can eat buffet when you get back to the dock.

The whales are the main reason I am going next week again.

Don't think, go ! You will have a great time if you take normal precautions.
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    The road is beautifully paved to about 2.5 miles north of Bahia San Luis Gonzaga. There is a Pemex station at the intersection to Alfonsina's, with a nice well stocked market inside, and the market to the west has the only selection of American IPA's that I saw in Baja. :freaky

That gives you about 30 miles of dirt road to get to Mex 1, passing through Coco's. There's definitely some sand sections--mostly near B. Gonzaga, lots of rocks, some washouts, but it's a major road--passenger cars and even commercial trucks travel on it. I have no idea your comfort level.
  4. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Thank you, sounds like my comfort level, is, go for it !
    The only time I have had trouble with my GS is in deep sand, At the time I had Torrences a Road 70/30 tire. I have just upgraded to Heidenau Scouts a 50/50 tire (which I won at the BMW International Rally in Sedilia ). With a good amount of traffic the sand should be reasonably packed.
    It is not only the tires on the bike but the tires on me too I am an old rider and at 71 have to consider everything.
    I hear that Coco is putting a two Tequila shot toll where the road passes his place !

Again thank you
  5. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me and Hard Working Dog both rode that road North of Coco's recently.

That was the weirdest gravel-------in places you'd sink in it like sand and your bike would waller all around under you.
    We were both on 250's---------you won't be happy on it with your BMW but you'll make it.

I actually got off the gravel and rode in the sand most of the time beside the road. It was much easier and I could do a good 50mph in it standing on the pegs.

Be careful on the nice pavement-----------you can go really fast on it if you want-----------but there are many huge deep quick dips in the road for water to run across the road during a hard rain that will put you over the handlebars.
    I've got probably 10" of travel on my WR and I bottomed it out about 3 times.
    Instead of putting a culvert under the road for the water to run under---they dip the road. They will sneak up on you.
    Somebody just hit a cow on that road recently--------tore the front end off the bike---killed the cow---and broke his wrists and ribs.

And that road going West from Coco's----------will rattle your teeth out unless you have really good suspension. My Wr sailed smoothly over it when I kept my speed up.

BigDog
  6. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Thank you both for the info, I reckon I'll try it, I know the dips well and have bottomed out on them going too fast. it is just the sand and gravel section that concerns me since that is the one thing my GS is good at is "sinking in", of course I load too much shit, trying to get the bathtub strapped to the top of my Varios.

That is why you do not ride at night in Mexico not the bandits but the cows who play Pick Up truck at night and will make you into hamburger while mooing "Sweet Revenge"!

Again thank you for the info, I will take it easy.

Ride safe.
  7. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    I just rode that section both down and back two weeks ago. At 65 years young, my fully loaded 950 ADV was a handfull. I think the worst section was from Hwy 1 to Coco's. Coco warned us that it was very rocky. I didn't find it scary or difficult, just had to keep the speed down and pick my way.

We found only one truly sandy section. Heading north from Coco's, it's an uphill turn to the right, immediately after a very short section of pavement (in the middle of nowhere :dunno). I clocked it at 9 miles north of Coco's, 12.5 miles south of Gonzaga. The sand on the uphill (left side of road heading north) is very deep so be sure to stay way to the right. The road has become steeply banked so that won't be a problem when headed north. I hit the sand on our way south and ended up off the road in the cactus. Fortunately, kept the bike upright but it got my feeble heart going :eek1.

I understand the cow incident Mark spoke of occured out on Hwy 1, near the Bahia de LA intersection. I don't think I could get enough speed up on the dirt section to tear the front off a GS :wink:.

I'll be back down again next week so perhaps we'll cross paths. Be safe :freaky.

Dave
  8. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:

Thank you for that very precise report I will be watching 9 miles East Cocos and staying right. Glad you didn't damage yourself or your bike in your run off. These heavy bikes don't like sand. I am leaving Santa Monica Wed or Thur (depending on the storm that is now on the way). I am staying in Quartize Arz and leaving south early Monday. Will overnight in San Felipe Monday night the 25th and then ride to Bahia De Los Angeles Tuesday. so if our routes pass anywhere let me know
    and I'll buy you a drink or a coffee. Keep you eyes open to the side of the road for a yellow GS I may be hugging a cactus.
  9. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    That would be fun at 80+ MPH... on the 12GSA...
    It's been awhile since my last visit...

Thanks for that....
  10. lost...

lost... Guarior

Oddometer:
    Never been to Mike's Rancho- anybody stay there lately? Wondering what rates are for rooms and also what the camping situation is? Considering taking the KLR on the hwy 3 route on the way to Loreto in April or May.
  11. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:

Mike's often gets tours stop and stay so it is not a bad idea to call them.
    From the states: 011-52-664-68-15514

There is camping down by the stream.
  12. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    Around $70 with meals, you eat what is served. Great place. Not too sure on the camping.
  13. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep---was there about 3 weeks ago.
    Had a ball there----found the dirt road going out the back side of it were extremely tough.

The short of it is:
    $70 per person-----not a room---per person.

Includes dinner and breakfast which is served at a specific time----be there or don't eat-------and eat whatever they fix---you don't order----food was great.

Generator (electricity) is on for about 3 hours in the early evening -------and about 9PM off it goes.

Hot showers--plenty of water no matter is the electricity is on or not.

Nice oil heater in your room doesn't require electricity.

Heading down in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the tough riding out the South side

[​IMG]
  14. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    Your schedule would have matched ours except yesterday's Tucson blizzard is headed to southern CO today. My riding partner is trailering his bike down from CO and wants to avoid the storm. Our departure has been moved to Monday so we won't be to San Felipe until Tues. Be looking for two blue KTM 950's.

Dave
  15. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    I'm in Quartzsite Arizona now meeting some ADV riders and it is so cold I am heading to San Felipe Sunday rather then Monday. Hope to see you somewhere on the way. I'll keep my eye open.
    Ride safe

Paul
  16. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Might see some of you guys on the road. Leaving Sierra Vista AZ in the morning. Planning to spend the night in Yuma, than roll south into Baja Saturday - probably down to Gonzaga, then continuing all the way south if all goes well. If you see two up on a black 1100GS with ME plates, that would be us. :D :wave