Honda CB160 Restoration Thread

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by Cowboy, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Scrambler Weirdo

Scrambler Weirdo Espresso Racer

Oddometer:
    Cool, will do and thanks. I am keeping the build thread going on here because so many people refer it for their bikes. I learned a LOT from what the other guys posted before I started my build. ADV rider is THE place for CB/Cl builds and info imho....
  2. Noobens

Noobens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Had a lightbulb over the head moment. Since there will be no battery or wiring or anything in this spot it is the perfect place to show off a monoshock!

[​IMG]

Got this R6 shock for $40 shipped. Love the red spring.

Just need to go down to the local junk pile and buy some steel tube and extend the swingarm, then fab up the mounts.

The only thing that's been stopping me from going forward is money. I still need to get fourth oversize pistons, gaskets, main bearings, and seals. That and the powdercoating fee. I was hoping to get it done by spring, but now it's looking like next spring or summer is more likely.
  3. Scrambler Weirdo

Oddometer:
    That is fuckin dope man......!

Query: Is the stock swingarm up to the additional torsional stress it will be under when the dual shocks are removed? Or will your extensions take care of that?
  4. Frankmc13

Frankmc13 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

Who do you all get new Honda 160 cables from? I need them all! My project bike came with out any.

Thanks, Frank
  5. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, I need all 3 replaced...
    I also need the step bar.
    That was missing, whenIgot the bike.
    I have the foot pegs, but nothing to bolt them to...
  6. Scrambler Weirdo

Oddometer:
    The cables you can probably get from Ebay or your local bike shop. The footpeg bar might be a little harder to track down, but most guys take that off to put on rearsets anyway so someone on here might have one available.
  7. Noobens

Noobens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We'll be building some pretty beefy mounts for the monoshock. I think all will be well. I'm not going to be racing it or anything, and I live in Kansas where the only turns are 90 degree intersections, and a few curves around the river haha.

Unfortunately, this also means I'm going to have to ditch the stock rear fender. Unfortunate, but I think it will be worth it.

I've got a ton of stuff from this bike that will be going up on ebay over the weekend like the rear fender/tail light, side covers, tool box, seat, etc.
  8. Scrambler Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Sounds good, if you aren't pounding the bike it should be fine. I had a closer look at my swingarm today and it is more solid than I originally thought. I'm dumping my fender too, I think once you get seat for it you will like the way it looks without the fender. I hate the look of mine personally.

So, today I made a rearset and connected the cl175 brake using an unknown lever and parts of the original brake pedal. Have to do the cosmetics on it yet, but all that is happening come spring. Mechanicals first.... Still need to connect the brake switch but everything works. Next up is the shifter...

Guys, I intend to throw my step bar away as soon as I get the other rearset made. I'll try to remember to leave a post on here so anyone that needs it can grab it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    DIBS ASAP, on the step bar, and any hardware to go with it...
    I have the pegs, but nothing more... still need the pins, washers, nuts, etc to put em on, and bolt it to the bike...
  10. Scrambler Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Dude, I have all that. It's beat up but all there (shit, just look at the pics totally forgot you can actually see it). I don't think it is is bent either. I am ditching it as soon as I find a straight shifter to cut up for the other rear set. I live in Canada, but shipping shouldn't be more than about $15.00 - $20.00 to the states depending on where you are at (I am guessing, used to have an Ebay business for years). You want it, it's yours as soon as it comes off.
  11. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool.
    Just PM me when you get to that point, and we'll work out shipping details, etc...

For the time being, we're just trying to get the thing running, and get the brakes, and mechanicals working.
    We have a while, as play money trickles in for the project..
  12. Scrambler Weirdo

Oddometer:

No problem. I hear brakes can be a bitch to find. Luckily my fronts were in good shape and you can still get parts easily for the CL175 my back rim is off (and my coil, and condenser...).
  13. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sticking with oem parts ignition wise?
    I was parusing the accel coil setup to try on mine, if my old soem setup should wind up bad, for some reason.
  14. Scrambler Weirdo

Oddometer:

That is the intent (for now) to keep costs down. An ignition upgrade in the future is something I'd like to do, but the CL175 ignition works great and is cheap and easy to replace with OE style aftermarket parts. And the CL175 ignition made a world of difference in running and throttle response.

The whole premise of what I am doing is keeping things cheap and fun. The bike cost $50.00, rear rim $20.00, Brakes, Battery plugs and condenser $80.00, assorted used parts from a local guy $40.00, Tube $10.00, 2 tires and one tube free (from scrap pile), Bar end mirrors $2.00 (Dollar store), Stacks $4.00 (same place), Fuel line $4.00, Lever $30.00. So I am into the whole thing in it's present state for about $250.00 so far.... Plus the time wrenching.
  15. Noobens

Noobens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still haven't decided what I'm going to mount my kickstand to when I get rid of the peg bars. Any ideas?
  16. Scrambler Weirdo

Oddometer:

I've been trying to figure out the same thing since I found out the center stand won't clear the brake rod and lever I installed for the rearsets. Shit......
  17. I_FLY_LOW

I_FLY_LOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, y'all got the fire lit under me the other day...
    I brought it over to a friend of mine's shop, to give him something to do.
    1966 Honda CL160:
    <EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/4blQjB8Vq1c?hl=en&fs=1 allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always">
    </EMBED>Sr. Got one of the two project bikes I brought home last year running.
    It needs a lot of tlc, and a title, but it's a start!
    After we got the brakes in somewhat of an adjusted state, I took it up the road for a few passes. Kind if what you'd expect for getting something of it's age running again, but it was fun!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Scrambler Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Holy shit thats identical to mine down to the tires!!! Nice bike man, you have a LOT to work with.

I rode mine as soon as I could too... you just have to.

Nice!!
  19. Scrambler Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Ok, the snow all melted yesterday so I was able to get a lot done. Mostly though I finished the other rearset, and made some bushings for the rear brake lever assembly. I just need to clean up the welds and maybe shorten the shift lever just a tiny bit to reduce the throw. Otherwise it works! There will definitely be some time spent with the grinder to clean the edges and so forth before paint. Like everything else, it was made from parts laying around with the exception of some small hardware. No hiem joints, no CNC cut parts, just metal rod, nuts, bolts, washers, and the hoops from the old shocks I took off. Sorry for the blurry pics, it snowed again and the bike is back in a tiny lean to with a tarp over it.

I_FLY_LOW: I have some bad news for you... The center stand interfered with the new rear brake rod so I couldn't use it like I had planned. So I am stuck with the side stand - which is attached to the footpeg rack. I gotta keep it now, sorry man. I have the actual pegs, clips and springs for the front if you still want those. I have them because I, erm, well I cut them off the bar.... The step bar itself would be pretty easy to make if you have a welder. Let me know man, sorry about that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Noobens

Noobens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Threw down the big bucks and got an original tank. Still trying to find time to do the monoshock fabrication...