The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. DinX

DinX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I now have around 14.500km from 1 december till today.
  2. Too_Tall

Too_Tall The Belgian

Oddometer:
    10.000km service done today, oil change + rear tire (went for a BW502, had excellent experience with these in the past)

Saw a brand new Worldcrosser in the workshop, asked about the parts being available serparately and they said "yes, but it's waaaaaaaay too much money!" :lol3
  3. tomatocity

tomatocity Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer:
    I recently had an experience with the BW502. There are at least three of them. H and V speed rated. Word has it that the V rated tire is better for the Tenere. One does not have a load rating letter (A through E). The second one has a load rating letter of E (after the word Radial). The E rated tire got 9,000 miles. The non load rated tire got 5,000 miles.

Might not work for you but Cycle gear has V rated tire for $136.14 (originally $203.xx). Still trying to find out which tire is the E rated tire. Left a voice mail a few minutes ago. Plus 10% discount this weekend only.
  4. DinX

DinX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got 14.500km at the moment on my first set of BattleWings now :evil

Excellent tires, but I'm going to try the K60s as my next ones.
  5. Too_Tall

Too_Tall The Belgian

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intel Tomatocity, i'll have a look in the morning! I'm in europe btw, shipping a tire would negate all savings i'm afraid!

Good to hear dinx! 😃
  6. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    I have bought two replacement BW502 Battlewings rears, one from Motorcycle Super Store and one from Chaparral. MC Super store lists 4 different ones and the E was stated as being OEM replacement for the Super Tenere. My recent shipment of a set of OEM BW502's from motorcycle super store was $121.59 for the rear and $97.84 for the front, delivered. That was on April 30. The rear is showing $127.99 today.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/396/12344/ITEM/Bridgestone-Battle-Wing-Rear-Tire.aspx
  7. Tuska

Tuska Adventurer

Oddometer:
    got my first ticket today on xtz:cry....138kph...2kph more and i wouldv been walking !
    So anyway was surprised when told speed on radar as exactly same as i saw on speedo when glanced down thinkin oooppps:eek1! 1km from home after 972km day. i thort the speedos read high on these?
    Any sugestion on radar detectors
  8. Tee Dee Mmm

Tee Dee Mmm Long timer

Oddometer:
    check it via GPS as my speedo is showing 100kmph actual is 92 kmph so a fair margin for error.
  9. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    So who is HighADVTours?

Nice little ride. If your stuck at home here is 20 odd minutes....

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/n2H9iCmZjbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cTFC88ScGDQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers
    Graham
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    GPS speeds aren't exact either. Usually closer than the oem speedos but they can fluctuate a bit too.
  11. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These throttle cables are driving me nuts! They are right in the way, I can't see my instrument cluster.

[​IMG]

I'm going to try rotating them down out of the way. Anyone do this? Have any lessons learned to share?

Thanks!
  12. Thagua

Thagua Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer:
    Hi CafeRacer ... I did that and the only thing you have to do is to get rid of the plastic little buttons on the 'cable holder' that prevent it to turn because they fit on holes drilled on the handlebar .... since I replaced my handlebar with a SW Motech Non Shock Endurance, I didn't want to drill any holes.
    [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Roberto
  13. DinX

DinX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just tie them to the handlebars with a tie-wrap. They're just long enough for that
  14. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable binding the throttle cables further down the bar - they work better with single-curve large radius bends and with plenty of slack to handle lock-to-lock steering angles.

My solution is to use a tie warp on the cables where they go through the guide to provide a "catch" that snags the guide and pulls the cables a little lower and below the line of view to the instrument panel. This works in a fashion, but the next time the steering goes to the full left lock, it unsnags so you have to re-snag it again to get the benefit.

[​IMG]

Another person came up with this rather clever solution.

[​IMG]

I'm going to look into the "rotate the housing" solution this winter.

- Mark
  15. Buckeye56

Buckeye56 Batoutahelius

Oddometer:
    Guys I went with Mark's second photo, the hose standoff and it works great for me. If you have any fuel line lying around with some zip ties give it a shot and see what you think.
  16. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Problem solved!

[​IMG]

Also, I tried the "fuse in the clutch wiring" mod. I was holding off until I got through the first 600 miles, but only made it to 500.

Wow. Just, wow. I don't care if it gains horsepower or loses mileage, it's just so much smoother. Love it. Someday I'll look into an ECM upgrade just to have the peace of mind that everything is tuned properly. But until then, I don't see this little fuse ever coming out.
  17. Too_Tall

Too_Tall The Belgian

Oddometer:
    Had a *perfect* day yesterday.

Left house at 0600. Rode 120km's all backroads to the German Eifel forest. Arrived there at 0730. Saw about 5 cars on the entire trip. Loaded a GPS track called "Huge Eifel Tour 350km's" in the GPS. Rode all day, on a brand new Bridgestone BW502, with the clutch mod on. Arrived at Vogelsang Military area around 1330, and it was absolutely PACKED with bikes, cars, motorhomes, trucks,....saw hundreds of bikers taking nice sweeper turns in 1st or 2nd gear. Loads of squids and pirates, sweating their asses off. I was laughing in my helmet for the rest of the way home :lol3 Got home with 600.8km's on the odo.

1. I don't care what anyone thinks, I prefer my BW502 tire over the Tourance EXP's. Little cheaper on the buy, and alot better on the road!

2. Clutch mod makes a big difference. Had it on for most of the time, and didn't see a big consumption increase.

3. What an awesome bike! :clap
  18. glennmack

glennmack Good Bloke

Oddometer:
    Here's my dilemma.

I'm nearing the end of my first year riding here in Australia - have been restricted to 660cc bikes but will be free of this in August. I dropped into a Yammie dealer with a mate today for him to look at helmets and saw a brand new 2011 Super Tenere with a price tag of $18990 (Aussie dollars, yep - things cost more here). They have only one at this price (blue) as it is plated 2011, not 2012. Couldn't believe it. Just to put it in perspective, the BMW 1200GS kitted up with ABS and spoked wheels here is about $28000 and my G650GS was $13500 new. So the ST seems too good to be true, AND it comes with the "Adventure Pack" for free which includes the Yamaha aluminium panniers, headlight protector and bash plate ($2000 value). Sooooooo, do I buy it now and let it sit for 3 months until I'm unrestricted - then sell the Beemer? Are they as good as y'all say they are? What do I need to be aware of? (No - I haven't read the 823 pages under this thread).

Thanks for your help

G
  19. Glenn C

Glenn C Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Glenn,

Seems like a good price to me. I bought mine in Nov 2010 (ex demonstrator with 1000km on the clock for $18k). I reckon you could do better on the price though. Wait until a few days before the end of June and you'll be able to name your price. The sales guys will be deparate to do a deal before the end of the financial year!

Is it new or a demo unit?

And yes, they are as good as they say, especially for long distance trips.

Cheers
    Glenn

20. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    They are very good and extremely easy to ride. Virtually all people who get on then notice how the low CofG make the bike feel lighter that is is. As far as I can tell, no one has had one break down to the extent where they cannot get home (aside from punctures and accidents). This cannot be said for the expensive BMWs.

The ABS can be used off road and the TCS is working all the time to keep you safe (when turned on).

It eats off road stuff despite its size. The screens are too small and induce buffeting on the forehead for most people. Depending upon your intended use, the sump guard could be a problem. If you intend to abuse the bike off road there is a risk of the sump guard breaking a hole in the sump. Both these things are easily remedied.

On the BMW it is difficult to alter the electrics without upsetting them. The Yam has a conventional electric system.

If you can afford it, get the bike and wait. 100s of Americans waited a long time and very few have been disappointed.