Socks for a multiweek trip

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by kyled1, Jun 16, 2012.

1. kyled1

kyled1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My son and I are riding the TAT in July and I can't decide which socks we should wear. I've read all of the threads on socks but there are so many opinions I still can't decide. We will be riding for about 5 weeks and it will be hot. We both have Alpinestars Scout boots. Which socks would you wear? I've heard good things about SOKz but not sure if they're the right sock for this trip.

Thanks.....Kyle
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    What do you wear now? Wear those.

Not really a good idea to test out new gear on a five-week trip.

Jamie
  3. wingnut11

wingnut11 generally strange

Oddometer:
    Whatever you're going to wear bring extra. Seriously bring more than you think you'll need. If you think you need 5 bring 10, you'll never regret having more clean dry socks.
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I go on long trips with 2 pair of wool socks.
    They dry fairly fast.
    When riding to AK, I had 3 pair. Nothing dries very fast in low, wet temps.
  5. Eyes Shut

Eyes Shut See no evil Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same for me. Two pairs, Smartwool.
  6. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    +1
  7. Missiongravity

Missiongravity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just loaded up on these in almost all the different colors. When I find socks I like I buy a few years supply worth. I would buy a pair or two to try and if you like them load up as Stoic is being shut down. They will no longer be producing and selling product.

But these socks are awesome:

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-merino-comp-hiking-socks-2-pair

And these shirts are also awesome, cool in the summer time and warm when layering in the winter time and I am a stinky dude. I can wear one of these for three days and it still won't stink!

http://www.backcountry.com/stoic-merino-crew-short-sleeve-mens

I have six of these shirts and am soon to embark on a multi month south of the border trip and these will be what I am taking!
  8. Missiongravity

Missiongravity Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also...PM and I will see if I can hook you up with a discount code that will save you some dough on those!
  9. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use these liner socks and these outer socks. They've automatically kept my feet dry and warm or dry and cool depending upon the conditions for several multi-week trips. They both wash and dry quickly. You only need to bring 2-3 sets. Truly the best sock system ever. You can't go wrong.
  10. pfarrell

pfarrell Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    hate to say it but the BMW branded socks are really smartly designed—i say this after trying several different pairs (lee parks, rev it, klim). wool blend, fast drying, small padded welt at top front, 2 pairs will go forever. they come in tall and short, also a cotton blend version for the summer season...but i've never found the full wool ones to get hot, in adventure boots...
  11. Witold

Witold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Analysis paralysis.

The reason why there are so many opinions and suggestions is because none of the choices are all that good or all that bad.

Just get whatever, or don't get anything at all. You probably have socks in your closest already.
  12. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Ankle high socks for riding?
  13. kyled1

kyled1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my son and I each 3 pair of Sokz. Rode 200 miles today with temps up to 100. So far I like them
  14. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    When it comes to socks, I like mid-length plain-Jane cotton socks. I dislike wool and any synthetic material I've ever tried (for socks, for everything else synthetic is great). I know this runs counter to packing clothes for an extended motorcycle trip, but that's what I prefer. I also take at least four or five pairs, more if I have the room. I can wear the same pair of underwear for weeks if I need to, just wear 'em inside out and repeat... But socks... Socks I change every day, sometimes more often if they're wet. You've gotta take care of your pups.
  15. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought 3 pair of REI brand socks made from recycled plastic. They are tall and quick drying so I only need 3 pair since I wash by hand and let dry overnight. My trips are typically 2-3 weeks long and I want clean socks every day.

I wear a similar dual sport boot and wanted a thin, but tall sock to fit them. I've had two full days riding and walking in them. Very comfortable. They are actually liner socks, but I don't use an outer sock with them.

http://www.rei.com/product/813877/rei-recycled-polyester-liner-socks

My priority was a tall wicking and fast drying sock. Any REI carries them.
  16. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wearing the same boots on a longer trip, even with changes of socks, the boots can get pretty skanky with sweat and occasional wetness.

Any shoe store has boot powder to kill the casue of the stench.
  17. JACIII

JACIII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bring an extra 20 bucks.

Wear socks you don't mind throwing away. Wear them once then trash them, when you run out of clean socks buy more. There's a Dollar General or a Walmart everywhere and they are cheap.

Works for underwear, too. Why haul around dirty drawers?

This doesn't apply if you wear the LDComfort type stuff.
  18. tcourdin

tcourdin Resident Spooner

Oddometer:
    I've done the TAT a couple times in triple digits and also was wearing Scout boots. Great boots but man my feet sweat! I just use plain cotton mid socks, I think I took a few pairs along and just switched them daily for fresh ones until I hit a motel to do laundry. I dont think it will matter what socks you wear with the Scout boots as there is no ventilation. They sure were nice and dry in the Colorado rain though!

Best investment on the trip was a can of Lysol to spray in the boots each night!
  19. Riley212

Riley212 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Smartwool PHd Light ski socks. Actually i have found that all of smartwool's socks are better than just about everything out there. My feet sweat less, they are softer and more durable than anything else. they dont get stinky as fast and i find i can re wear them a few days if i have to. they dont get crunchy like cotton/synthetic socks. if they get wet they are still warm and they dry fast.
  20. forrestlaw

forrestlaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Smartwool socks come in all many thicknesses so you should be able to find something comfortable for the temps you will be riding in. I wear nothing but smartwool on backpacking trips, but I will say I have a pair of Alpinestars coolmax socks that I really like as well for motorcycling.