Pre-purchase checklist

Discussion in 'Trials' started by sweenrace, Jan 14, 2013.

1. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys,

End of year bonus almost in-hand and I'm ready to buy my first trials bike! I've never owned a bike before so I dont have any idea what I should be looking for when purchasing. There are lots of good threads discussing the merits of this bike over that bike, but I'm now interested in a good pre-purchase check list.

I'm imagining a list of things that probably really obvious to you guys but a mystery to a newbie like. My car version of the list looks something like this
    - start the car and turn everything on at once
    - check the gap between panels
    - check all the tires are the same brand and size

Can anyone suggest such a list for a trials bike purchase? ...and remember I'm a complete newbie to bikes!

Thanks
    Ian
  2. sprinter 27

sprinter 27 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest checking the fork sliders carefully for nicks and scratches,then lift the rear end to see if there's play in the rear suspension linkage. Check for wheel true (runout).
    Engine should start within a few kicks with decent compression.oil should look new,and air filter should be clean if its been looked after.
  3. onto1wheel

onto1wheel n00b

Oddometer:
    Ian,
    this is what I thought of in a couple minutes, I'm sure more folks will chip in (and i'll update if I think of more)
    In no particular order:

In no particular order:
    Brake lever firmness/feel
    Spin the wheels and check for trueness and loose wheel bearings
    fork sliders nicked?
    Check spokes for tightness
    Check tire for brand (cheapo's?), condition, cracks
    Inspect footpegs for condition, and level
    Smell gas for freshness
    Check oil for level, condition
    Inspect air filter
    Steering head bearings: spin ok?
    Skid plate still ok?
    Play in rear suspension?
    Suspension ok? (there’s not as much dampening in trials suspension)
    Play in throttle?
    Grips ok?
    levers bent?
    Handlebars straight?

Ask owner:
    Type of gas and oil and what mixture?
    What maint done?
    What mods from stock?

starts right up and runs good?
    test ride

spend more time looking at little details
    Doug
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    That`s a good list. First impression is good to go by also, but don`t just be fooled. If your first thought is the bikes been hammered , but taken care of. Then the bike is hammered. If it looks new, check the air filter any way (remove is best) a bike can be cleaned up pretty. Checking the filter and intake might tell you how it really was taken care of. Clean outside and dirty in could mean trouble in the near future. Don`t be shocked if you have to look out of state to find a bike!
  5. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys,

this is great! Exactly what I was looking for.

How do I check for play in the suspension? Lift the rear of the bike and try to move the swinging arm?

Also, what are the implications of nicks on the fork sliders?

Ian
  6. motojunky

motojunky Professional Idiot

Oddometer:
    I'm curious as to what led you to want a trials bike as your first bike. I think it's a great choice that will allow you to master the controls in a very safe environment but it's not often that I hear about a first time rider starting out with a trials bike.

Have fun!
  7. Handy

Handy Sunburnt

Oddometer:
    If you know nothing about bikes you should get someone to go with you to check it out. You will want to test ride it and make sure it goes through all the gears, brakes work, etc. If you don't know how to ride this may be difficult at best for you to do. Maybe post up in your regional forum to see if someone in your area would be willing to go with you to check a bike out.
  8. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Now that's good advice.

You might also talk to Lewisport, and see if they have anything used available. They have a good reputation, and I'm sure they would make sure you understood any issues with the bike they were selling you.
  9. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @handy, @elqueso, Great advice guys. I've ridden bikes but I probably should grab a bike buddy and bring him with me.

The reason to start with a trials bike is pretty simple. I used to race cars but hurt my neck (skiing) so I need a hobby that involves a motor but is relatively safe! Growing up I had lots of biker friends and always wanted to master bike riding. Now I get the chance!
  10. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, and can anyone help with the following

How do I check for play in the suspension? Lift the rear of the bike and try to move the swinging arm?

Also, what are the implications of nicks on the fork sliders?
  11. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Slider nicks mean fork seal leaking if there is any oil in the forks :lol3 . If you can put the bike on a stand And then pull up on the swingarm works. If not grab the rear and top out the shock listen for a clunk .
  12. DerViking

DerViking Shred

Oddometer:
    Unlike most dirtbikes or motorcycles in general, you can easily lift the rear end of a trials bike with one hand, either by the muffler(if it falls off this is also useful information) or by the grip molded into the rear fender. If the wheel drops away with a clunk, it has too much play. Work the bike up and down with the tire just contacting the ground. Alternatively, put the skid plate on a milk crate and move the rear end up and down, back and forth by hand. If it's used, chances are it will have some play. If you move the bike 2" up before the shock takes up, you may have your hands on mine..... Remember these are low speed bikes, so slop that would be unacceptable on a high speed bike is annoying but tolerable in trials. The bikes are built with quite a bit of flex to them, helps alot when bumping through the inevitable river bottom section.

What is your price point? I recommend something in the 2005 and younger realm, lots more parts support, and much better bikes than the old ones. There are so few trials bikes that they keep their value better than many other makes or types.

Oh, another thing to check. It the end of the exhaust has been shoved into the exhaust, the bike has been looped or fallen backwards off of something at least once.

Radiators. Usually pretty well protected, but worth having a look at. If the fan howls when it's running, it is probably a Gas Gas, they all do that. :cry
  13. flyinfuzz

flyinfuzz 2 Quarts low

Oddometer:
    Also look at the back side of the muffler . Check if it has been rubbing the tire . Gas Gas pro muffler tabs tend to break after being flexed back and forth .
  14. sweenrace

sweenrace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all. This is super helpful! Now to find some bikes to check out :)
  15. sprinter27

sprinter27 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fwiw play in the rear suspension shows the linkage bearings are toast,some may not notice when riding but it would drive me nuts.its a pricey fix as the parts are expensive.nicked fork tubes are also a pricey fix, and leaking seals will make the bike near unrideable.its common crash damage when dropping the bike in rocky areas
  16. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW: New bearing Kits for the complete rear linkage assembly is about $100. Not as big a deal as say a transmission repair, top end, fork sliders, or even cost as much a trashed seat/air box assembly. $300 new! .Fairly straight forward to fix if have a press or vise. Alittle play is common and no big deal - just a grease job usually. Now if its been completely neglected and things like the shock bolts are allowed to loosen up, then over time, the frame can be damaged.
  17. DrKayak

DrKayak Retro Rider

Oddometer:
    If you are looking for a modern bike there are 2 types of used ones out there.

Like new. The seller never got into trails.
    Well used. The seller is a serious trials rider and wants a fresh bike.

The like new ones will not reallty need any "checklist". While a well used one will be very hard for a new rider to judge if the bike is worth having.

If you can spend $3,500 to $4,000 you can get a nice newer. ready to ride bike.

Yesterday I scored a "like new" 06 Rev3 for much less than $3,500. Took me a full year to find this deal. At the price I paid and the near new look of the bike, I did not check a single thing on the bike. I handed him the $$ with a smile. :evil

I may sell my 96 Techno in a few weeks ... It's like new. :deal