The XT350 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Burtonridr, Sep 26, 2007.

1. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use a xt600 shock, the PO fitted on to my bike, as I recall, it bolted just about right on. I believe it was a dj01 shock, thats from a 96- and up xt600e, but havent checked.
  2. Lenz1

Lenz1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The TT350 is now road registered / "approved".

Given the new rings and honed bore I've done a few intervals of hard acceleration and roll off /slow down then a little run over a mix of sealed and dirt road.

The front end is very stable, responsive and absolutely acceptable.

The rear suspension with the rebuilt original TT350 "De Carbon" rear shock is at maximum pre load and 5 clicks back from max damping. I think there is room for a little reduction in preload and damping which means the rear shock is definitely within operating tolerances.

The engine is the result of 20thou off the head, std head gasket, valves refaced, shim clearances set to mid tolerance range but the big change has been the porting of the cylinder head plus new angled inlet manifolds. The original manifolds and poorly bonded rubber carbie joiners are complete rubbish.

The end result is an engine that pulls without hesitation off a slow idle and produces major power past mid range revs. The gearing is 14:50 (std), the carbies are standard with all standard jetting and I'm 95kg. At 60% - 100% throttle the engine develops hard acceleration. Open the throttle at 100kph in 6th gear and it drives hard immediately - it was pulling VERY HARD at 125kph @14:50 in 6th gear and showing no sign of losing power / accelleration

At 14:52 as with the 2012 450 KTM EXC, this thing will be very interesting in the dirt ..... it lives !
  3. hondaacclx84

hondaacclx84 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, recently I painted my bike and when I finished putting it back together, I found that the tail light isn't working anymore. When I stripped her I just took out the 3 plugs from the tail light and disconnected the plug that release the rear main wires. Left everything else untouched. Even the Cdi stayed untouched.

I tried flushing with plug cleaner all the plugs for the rear light and still nothing. Even cleaned the main plug up front behind the headlight just in case. Is there anything I can try? Everything else is working well and I put everything back where it was supposed to be
  4. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Did some work on the XT in preperation for a week-long midwest trip coming up in a few weeks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. GaMtnRider

GaMtnRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How much do you want for your TT600 shock? :D
  6. hondaacclx84

hondaacclx84 n00b

Oddometer:
    I checked everything and there is current going to the two plugs inside the tail light but still no lights. What else could be the problem? Thanks in advanced
  7. hondaacclx84

hondaacclx84 n00b

Oddometer:
    My brother and I finally found the problem. The ground wire was broken but still attached to the terminal so we never thought of that but thanks anyways.

Another question, does anybody knows if a 130 rear tire would fit on the stock swing arm? I'm currently running a 17'' rear wheel. A 2.50 to be exact and would like a little bit more tire and no, I'm not the kind of guy that needs the widest tire but I think anything below 110 tire looks like a bicycle tire. :D
  8. johned206

johned206 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Posted this on the flea market. Hit a rock, fried the motor. Parting out everything else. All of it in very good condition. Near new carb with 6 hours on it, Cycle Racks rack, Clarke tank. Looking to get 1/2 of list prices. PM me with questions or requests. I'm on the Western Slope of Colorado. If you're close enough and buy enough we can avoid shipping.
  9. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    PM sent about the tank.

GaMtnRider, I'm not sure I want to sell that shock yet. I think I may have found a way to make it work, while also leveling the bike for my planned front end improvements. If it doesn't work out, I'll let you know.
  10. MauricioMoldes

MauricioMoldes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    my yamaha xt 350 , 1994, Portugal

134 000 kmh or about 83 267.7 miles

Extremely modified form engine, to frame, electric, etc

first try´s .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Captain Caution

Captain Caution Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Nicely done :clap
  13. johned206

johned206 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I sold the Clarke tank but everything else sits in my garage taking up space. If you need anything email or PM me. Example...the carb only has six hours on it. Cost me $454. I'll part with it for $200. I'll throw in near new carb joints for nothing. If your bike is running like crap get it going again with this carb. I want to move this stuff. tell me what you need.

John
  14. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I went 'n done it: sold my 95 XT350 for $1300. Ad on Craigslist this morning, sold it this afternoon. It's gone.

Now in the market for a good used something with six speed and 'lectric start. Husaberg? Sure would be nice.
  15. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you still want a dual sport and liked the XT350, The WR250R might be worth taking a look at. I still have my XT350, but it just sits now that I have the 250R.

If you are looking for more power, or nearly all off-road, Have fun choosing between Husaberg,KTM,and Husky. Hard (but fun) choice to make.
  16. George 99

George 99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at all three,,, poSTed at ST-Owners my next dual sport will be my world bike so a 650 or so would be high on the list. Still holding out for light weight but the Terra looks awful good. Sure wish Honda would put the new 450 Rally bike on the showroom.

I owned that XT for about 10 years and only put 9000 miles on. Do I really need a dirt bike? Hell yes! :clap
  17. SkidMarx

SkidMarx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like what you really need is a big "World Bike" and a cheap and light 2-smoker.:evil
  18. Jason gross

Jason gross n00b

Oddometer:
    Howdy all! I'm the dude that bought goerge's xt. I've been looking for a mid sized ds for a while now, something to keep my nighthawk and my tw company and I think this bike will fit the bill. I'm going to study up on this thread and learn some more about the bike before I do anything major to it. George cut me a good deal on this bike, actually he cut several hundred dollars off his price because I wasn't getting a really warm and fuzzy feeling about the top end noise (a noise that seems pretty common on these bikes from what I've been reading) so I'm going to check the valves and the cam chain tensioner and if they are ok I'm gonna change the oil and ride the wheels off it.
  19. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went from an XT350 to exactly that. :deal

I thought about buying new. Then decided that same money would buy exactly what I wanted. The trick was having the patience to find the right used bikes. But an interim $500 XL600R got me over the hump.
  20. gearheadE30

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's always hard to decide if I should put the money into the XT or just get something that is a bit nicer from the start. I've been going back and forth between modifying the XT suspension to make it competent and selling it and buying a DRZ or something with more aftermarket and that is better from the start. I like the XT, but I keep reading about the flimsy frame and stuff, and eventually I expect I'll have an issue with that if I bring the suspension up to snuff.