GPS map software for South America?

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by JohnTM, Jan 4, 2005.

1. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
  2. Javier K.

Javier K. Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    Thanks Javier! Saw the link, and I have both the smellybiker maps and the mapear loaded on my 2GB card for the NavII/2610. The Mapear will get me around Argentina, and the smellybiker should do for the rest of South America.

:freaky Hecho. Hasta ahora la moto llega el viernes que viene a Santiago, y yo el sabado.
  4. LucaRio

LucaRio Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. onique

onique n00b

Oddometer:
    I downloaded the map of BS AS but is in .MAP format, how do I convert it to garmin map format (.MPS). Thanks
  6. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I just spent a few days looking at GPS maps for South America. For those of you that are heading south, I wrote up what I found at GPS Maps of South America
  7. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Nice! You just saved me quite a bit of work.:thumb I'm taking off on my 2 year south america adventure in September and I'm sure these GPS maps will be a nice supplement to paper.
  8. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
  9. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Another one to add to the list. thanks. :thumb
  10. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Crash, you need to do more then build a list. Ya need to load them on your GPS :rofl
  11. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    :D Yup, done. I've got so many freakin GPS mapsets now that I'm sure to get lost.:thumb Thanks again for your research, if i see ya on the road, you have a couple of beers coming from me.
  12. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Just finished an update on GPS maps for South America on Colombia and Peru

Now I need to look into Central America maps!
  13. crashmaster

Oddometer:
    Very cool. How do you find these maps? I've been searching for CA maps and I cant find any except smellybiker.
  14. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Normal a bit of Googling does it, but for CA, I've not found much and what I've found is commercial. Most likely I'll get the bicimapas maps ($100) for Mexico and use smellybikers/paper maps for the others.

You can try http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com they have some stuff for the CA countries. I'll be trying some of the maps there soon to see if they are any better then smelly.
  15. leonard80

leonard80 n00b

Oddometer:
    there is a very good topo map for mexico called MAP E32 it has more detail than the bicimapas but it does not have auto-routing function (I dont have a problem since I dont use it anyway!) this map is designed for off-road here is the link: http://www.cartografiagps.com/index2.htm

regards
  16. alexcorral

alexcorral Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER TO MESS WITH THIS ABOVE LINK! Firefox or something else is best.

This is some of the best stuff I've ever seen for free. If you are in the next 30hrs or so of this post you can download all of South America in one fail swoop, this stuff is badass for free:clap:clap:clap

Here's the linky that will only work for a few more hours then you got to get into the q to get your own:
    http://planetosm.oxilion.nl/~lambertus/garmin/routable/12-02-2011/22b2956f9d43737dc9760a4f88b2bdef

Enjoy if your lucky!
    mamboman likes this.
  18. yakimushi

yakimushi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, big thanks! I managed to get all the files from the second link, will I still need to grab maps from the first?
  19. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In my request I got all the tiles for SA selected IIRC. You only need to go back to the first link, the open map source one if you want the maps other than South America that I requested. The map tiles that I requested in the link I posted took about 6 days for the server to process my request and give me that 48hr live link to the maps I wanted.

I will be down in SA for a while and won't need CA for a time but I will request them when heading back North and compare them to my GPStravelmaps and Bici maps for CA and Mexico that I thought where pretty good for what they cost.

That site is perhaps the greatest compliment to Garmin GPS in this world:deal

I'm very impressed and its free:clap:clap:clap

I will send in tracks if that is the help they need to make it even better.
  20. bouldergeek

bouldergeek Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer:
    So, I am in South America with no laptop, just an Android tablet, Android phone with handlebar mount and finally with working power, and a Garmin nuvi 2455 and a 285W.

I got Chile maps to work on the 285. Argentina options fail to be recognized on either. South America CN2013 fail as well. Using Sygic app on the phone right now, and it is mildly functional, but not great.

And, none of the gas stations I have found have paper maps. How can countries that demand paper cash for everything have so few ATMs and so few places selling paper maps? Blown mental gasket.

I guess this rant post should go into the nuvi thread. Too lazy to find it. What would you do without map source?

Edit: never mind, I borrowed a laptop and ...obtained... City Navigator SA 2013. Bought a 4GB SD card for the 2455 and loaded all SA maps but Brazil. 4Gb is $15 down here, when 32GB cards are now around $13 in the US.