Moto-Skiveez®, base layers for motorcyclists.

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Tuff Tunica, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    I figured it's time to post an official thread in the Vendor's section.

Moto-Skiveez are technical base layers for motorcycling. Our shorts are intended to be worn just like normal briefs to improve a rider's comfort. Three unique designs ensure maximum comfort for different riding styles.
    5-10x8x300.jpg

We now also offer "Compression Riding Socks" and a "Technical Riding Shirt." First layer comfort!!

MOTO_SKI_16_001_MS02_LONG_SLEEVE_SHIRT-018_FRONT_FINAL_WEB.jpg
    Here is a video link that might better explain our shorts;

And here is a link to a thread that has a few testimonials about our product.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=934071&highlight=moto-skiveez

Since I have a minimum pricing agreement in place with a few of my retailers, I can't offer a price discount, however what I have been offering to ADV members is a free "Tri Fold" hat with every order. This is a $19.95 value. The hats have been a huge hit. The brim folds into thirds and the fabric is light enough that this allows the hat to be placed into just about any pocket. PLUS it has our groovy Moto-Skiveez logo on it. You must add the hat to your cart and on checkout enter the coupon code ADV or RADIOMAN.

Link to our website; www.motoskiveez.com.

Thanks!

And who better to give a testimonial to them than Simon Thomas. If you are not familiar with Simon you can check out his blog here; http://2ridetheworld.com/

[​IMG]

2 Ride The World Moto-Skiveez REVIEW

Written by: Simon Thomas

My Delicates.

So, I’m sitting here and wracking my brains (what few I have left after rattling around the world on a motorcycle for 11-years) as to how I start a review of an item that looks after my ‘delicates’ and that I sit my ass on and in, all day.

Getting Comfy

There are a few key accessories we all consider when it comes time to personalise our ride or when we simply want to make our bikes fit us a little better. Hey, the more comfortable you are on your bike the happier you feel and the farther you ride, right?

The Usual Suspects.

Whether your pride n’ joy is a plastic fantastic Japanese crotch rocket, a Harleyesque cruiser or a dual sport beast, when you’re sitting around with your mates, it’s always the usual suspects that come to mind; suspension options, wheel rim choice, lowering kits, different foot pegs and even custom made seat options. But how about custom designed motorcycle-specific undergarments?

Scepticism and Respect.

I’ll confess that when Moto-Skiveez approached Lisa and I with the idea of real world testing motorcycle-specific underwear, well, we both raised an eyebrow. I had flashes of bad Calvin Klein underwear commercials with riders striking awkward poses next to their bikes. As we sat and listened to Shawn (inventor and driving force behind Moto-Skiveez), our understanding of this new concept and approach to one of motorcycling’s longest standing problems quickly changed. Within 5 minutes Shawn had not only peaked our curiosity, he had our full attention and was quickly gaining our respect.

The Long Suffering Problem.

Whatever type of bike you ride, we’ve all suffered at one point or another from monkey butt or simple ‘sore arse syndrome’ from hours of riding. What Shawn and Moto-Skiveez have done is tackle this issue from a new angle. As a rider and inventor Shawn’s approach is not only straight forward, the problem so well understood and the solution so well implemented, that after trying on a pair of ‘Moto -Skiveez’ you’ll find yourself thinking, “why hasn’t this been done before?”

The Moto-Skiveez solution to that sore backside you’ve been suffering from, might just mean that the $500 bucks you’ve saved for that custom seat can now be spent on a long overdue weekend break, party or flat screen TV. Hey, just saying!

The Skiveez Solution.

I received two pairs of ‘Adventure Skiveez’ 8-months ago, the black and red packaging looked professional and struck the right cord. Not a hint of ‘Marky-Mark and his washboard abs in sight.

Out of the box the materials felt more…well, high-tech than I’d anticipated and the custom padding felt well placed and thought through. Trying them on for the first time they felt like old friends from the get-go. The elasticated waistband ensured a comfortable waist fit. I’m 6 4” and I usually have a few issues getting shorts or underwear to fit my thighs, which aren’t small. The skiveez, just slipped on and asked, “OK, so where are we riding?”

8 months later and I’m impressed. Sure, I’ve tried lesser solutions in the past, but cycling shorts don’t really work when the raised stitches used to join the panels of the shorts rub your skin raw and create a long seam and pressure point on the inside of your thigh where inner legs meets seat. The Moto-Skiveez use a flat pressed seam across the product, so there are no raised profiles in the undergarment and therefor no potential pressure points. I’ve ridden for up to ten hours without the need for a single butt wiggle.

Back in Salt Lake City when we’d initially talked with Shawn, he had shown us his rider pressure point research. Along with the TMF research facility in Verona, Italy, they have identified the differing pressure areas created by specific styles of riding. An enduro rider has different pressure areas than say a sport bike rider on a track. With this in mind Moto-Skiveez has designed and produced 3 separate solutions allowing for the different needs of the Sport rider, Adventure rider and Cruiser rider.

As an adventure rider I’m appreciative of the research and now the final product. The adventure Skivvez are made up of 3 different foam types. Overall comfort is provided by 4mm perforated foam with ‘rider style’ specific protection being dealt with by 6mm memory foam. On the adventure model an additional 3mm comfort foam is sewn into the inner thigh area, to protect us whilst we repeatedly stand and sit in off-road riding scenarios. Even the horizontal and lateral placement of the foam has been considered to ensure maximum air flow along the ribbed foam lines to ensure air flow and correspondingly temperature management. Suddenly there’s much more to underwear than I ever thought possible!

Comfort.

After 8 months of riding a mixed bag of terrain from US highways, Mexican mountain twisty’s and central American sandy tracks, the Moto-Skiveez have out performed my already high expectations. They fit easily under both my rally suit riding trousers and my jeans alike. The firm but well constructed waist band has meant that after a tough off-road 4-hour ride, they’ve not left their position and disappeared somewhere south of my man-hood, requiring me to stop and adjust! I figure that any piece of great riding gear should do its job and not be a distraction. Anything that detracts my attention from my ride is unwelcome. The Skiveez, fit well and have simply preformed.

Silver Ion Infused Material….What?

An unpleasant aspect of long-term extreme adventure riding is skin rash and hygiene. Your underwear, more than any piece of clothing, fits tighter and in a more personal way than anything we put on each day. Regular boxer shorts and even the tighty-whities you love so much are not designed to repel dirt, bacteria and more especially sweat. The Moto-Skiveez are! I’m not going to pretend I know a thing about Silver Ion infused material, but Skiveez incorporate this technology into every undergarment. What I can tell you since using them, is that in the last 8 months I have not had any skin irritation issues in the waist, butt or upper thigh area and there have been some very long, tough and dirty rides. It’s like asking for the time, I don’t have to know how the clock works, it just has to work and give me what I need. The Skiveez have done just that.

Quick Draw Dry.

Hygiene is of course an issue we deal with on the road and being able to dry our gear quickly and effectively is much more of a consideration than washing. The Skiveez dry in super quick time and the few times I’ve had to wear them wet they’ve dried quickly as I’ve ridden and even when damp have never caused me any irritation or discomfort.

Overview:

A great idea is just that…an idea. A great product is a combination of a great idea, great design, attention to detail, research and finally quality production. The Moto-Skiveez are a great product. My initial scepticism has been replaced with a confidence in the product based on experience. Shawn’s technical undergarment now a much a piece of my essential riding gear as my Adventure riding suit and Enduro helmet and MX boots.

Shawn thanks for seeing the solution and for having the perseverance to see it through. See you somewhere down the road, track or jungle path.

PS. By the way, the fact that I kind’a feel like an X-man in my high tech Skiveez doesn’t hurt either!
  2. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    slime likes this.
  3. FJ Fun

FJ Fun Grouchy Old Squid

Oddometer:
    Clinton, Ar......The edge of Twisty Heaven
    I just got to try out my new Moto Skivees yesterday. it was fairly cool, so I have no opinion on hot weather comfort, but it definitely made the stock seat on my FJ 1200 more liveable. so far I am a happy customer.
    Joe
  4. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    Joe, Thanks much for the endorsement. Always pleased to hear feedback from customers. :clap :clap :clap
  5. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
  6. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a pair of Adventure Moto-Skiveez. I have been wearing bicycle shorts for 25 years. If these work as good as I expect, I will be ordering a 2nd pair.
  7. Darkside500

Darkside500 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How does the sizing run? tight or loose. I have a 30" waist, some padded shorts I wear a med, some a sm.
  8. Kingsized

Kingsized Kingsized Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any plans to make a 3XL?
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    very cool!
  10. BISHOP

BISHOP Roadracer goes Dirt

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a pair of Skiveez and a bonus cool tri fold hat. Always looking for more comfort and performance.
  11. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    For your size I would suggest a size S. Should fit just about perfect!
  12. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    If we see enough of a need, absolutely! Send to me a PM and we can discuss a little more about your situation if you would like. Our fabric is really quite stretchy and I've had some rather stout men fit into our XXL just FYI.
  13. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    Not sure how many of you might be a follower of the famed "Radioman." But he was one of the early testers of our product.

Here is a link to his thread where Moto-Skiveez receives a "Radioman approved" rating. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23693379#post23693379

Anyone familiar with Radioman's ride report and great contributions to ADVRider, please use coupon code "radioman" with your order for the free hat promotion.
  14. dondesmo

dondesmo Senior Squid

Oddometer:
    I just returned from a 2 day, 600 miles trip down the Oregon Coast. These work better then the bicycle shorts. I'm ordering a 2nd pair.
  15. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    Dondesmo, thanks much for your support of Moto-Skiveez :clap
  16. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    I want to thank "Radioman" for his input and assistance during the creation of Moto-Skiveez. He was one of the first testers of our early prototypes. If you are familiar with Mark, just enter "radioman" in the coupon code to get the free hat offer.

Also, note to self, don't take a "selfie" when staring into the sun.

[​IMG]
  17. Pheo

Pheo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy with mine so far, have not done a long ride in them yet but looking forward to a few soon
    I'm a big guy and was worried about the size, not sure if they fit as intended but they are doing the job they were purchased for and comfortably :)
  18. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI, we are currently experiencing some website issues. If you have attempted to order in the last 24 hours or so please excuse the inconvenience. Should have things up and running any time now.

Sorry for any inconvenience. :cry
  19. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing there are still website issues as I'm unable to add item to cart.
  20. Tuff Tunica

Oddometer:
    Sorry, we did a software update to our ecommerce module and things went sideways. Hoping to get it corrected soon. So sorry for any inconvenience. Hang tight.

WEBSITE GREMLINS HAVE BEEN SLAUGHTERED!!!!! :grim (Let's hope, if you find something weird let me know)

We should be up and good to go for orders. Thanks again for your patience.