Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Sac up (lip up for the ladies) and lets get these tags into some scenic backroads/trails. This is ADVrider damnit!

My minions will be along shortly to clean up.
  2. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    How? A cell tower or McDonalds is usually within an hour of anywhere and if you can upload a photo you can upload coordinates. If anything, it takes file photos out of the equation.
  3. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    As the road tag game exists, I can grab a tag & post it immediately if I have coverage, or as you say at the nearest McDonald's. Someone without a data plan or wifi device has to ride home to do it...even if they got there an hour earlier. That's a technological advantage. Granted, it's not a race but that changes the nature of the game.

In Geocaching you set out for a tag armed with coordinates or directions, when you find it there's nothing to post. You have the tag in your hands, it's gone so anyone being bruced will be bruced by showing up to a spot where the booty is gone. That's an honest brucing. Smart phone, Jitterbug, makes no diff. You ride to the next spot and hide it. When you get home, post the coordinates, no tech required.

That's how I see it, but maybe I'm imagining the game working different than someone else does.
  4. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would suck donkey balls. At least how it is now you can ride home with a smile on your face THINKING you got the tag. If I went to get a tag and it was missing now I ride home all sadz and stuff.
    :cry
  5. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
    Well, I'd hate to stomp on the other game given it is so well established with rules and all. If it's a good idea here I'll start a new thread called "M Gormans back woods tag".:lol3
    Rules are simple.

An item will be photographed with motorcycle in a location and if needed another photo will be taken of the geocatched item in it's hiding spot. The photo will be posted up in the new thread with GSP coordinates. Coordinates can either be from a GPS device at the location or from an online source like mapquest, google maps or google earth.
    A new rider will ride to the location retrieve the item and take a photo of his motorcycle with the item. At this point the new rider can either keep the geocatched item or replace it with a new item to be taken to a new spot and photographed with the bike. These photos and the new GPS location will all be posted and the cycle starts again.
    1. Location must be inside Ohio and on an established and legal right of way. It does not have to be a road but it does need to be a location that can be reached any time of day or time of year. (ie putting the tag in Perry SF during the closed season or on a gated road/trail is a no no:nono.)
    2. Item must be clearly marked or identifiable so that a duplicate item can not be produced. A signature or mark can be used for this.
    3. A tag is only valid if it is a new photo in the geocatched spot that shows the riders bike and item.
    4. A + of 50 feet is allowed for the GPS coordinate because of trees or southern line of site resulting in error. So make the photo of the hiding spot for the item very clear.
    5. The person placing the tag item is responsible to ensure the item is hidden well enough it's not stolen or blown away in a tornado and not so well hidden that no one can find it.:rolleyes
    6. If necessary the person placing the tag may use roll chart style instructions in addition to GPS coordinates to aid in establishing the location.
    7. In the event of an unforseen issue a final rulling from the current moderator of the central forum will be final.

Any comments or ideas that need to be in the rules?:ear
  6. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but there's a chance you could happen upon the guy that beat you to it on the trail, knock his bike over and steal the cache. If it happens in the woods, it's fair.
  7. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well played sir.
  8. S2P

S2P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sounds like that new 60Csx I got, is going to get even more use. I'm in, I think the container should be big enough to hold alcohol:freaky
  9. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    IN.. Just put new trackmasters on the 650 tonight so game on. Alan
  10. mic_detonator

mic_detonator ride

Oddometer:
    the plot thickens! :dllama

one question, is this going to replace the game or be a new thread?
  11. buildit

Oddometer:
    As I said I would vote for this to be a separate thread. Let it succeed or fail upon it's own merits.

Here's the thread suggesting Gormans Ohio Trail Tag
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647377
  12. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bunch of Pussies! Go out and get the the tag, or I'll have to to go out and get it on my SCOOTER, then you guys will be an even bigger bunch of PUSSIES!! I've ben giving you local guys a chance to go get it, but, hey, I'll man up and get it on the SCOOTER if you sissies won't. Put it on road, off road, don't matter, us old guys will get it.
  13. buildit

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to hear about your first log crossing on that scooter.:lol3
  14. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, Dude, when you gonna come out and check out your camping spot for next year? They used to get Harley flatheads over logs, guess I can get a lightweight scooter there ,too.
  15. mgorman

Oddometer:

Before you get all in a rush...

Don't name it after me!! This all started over me getting a new camera that my 7yo has yet to teach me how to use and chances are, I probably won't have time to play it!!

How about this...

As Swing mentioned, it removes the technogeekdom from the game so...

Leave it the same photo tag game and, make who ever finds it, move a unique item from said tag to the new tag, such as in the geocaching version.

Got my truck back so I guess I can drive to the docs in Akron tomorrow and not get a lecture from TGorman.
  16. mgorman

Oddometer:
    He'll be like George "Can't standzya" Kastanza and his scooter, he'll pick it up and carry it over.

[​IMG]
  17. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:

I dont care about the geo part of it, I just agreed that offroad/gravel would be a cool deal. I vote a separate thread be started if and when this comes about. Most likely I will still bitch about all the tags being 2 hrs away and not having any time off of work to go get them anyways.

I also vote that we name it MGormans Offroad Taggaroo thread.
    :freaky
  18. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    I think naming it after Mike is the best course of action. If you name it after me, it'll carry the stink of gay-jokes, and that's not good when you're trying to lure guys into the woods.

:deal
  19. mgorman

Oddometer:

I used to like you :nono
  20. Whitey1

Whitey1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3

"How come all of the tags are several miles from any roads?"

"That's so no one will hear your screams girlie-boy!"