Not2fast is down

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by not2fast, Jun 20, 2012.

1. BelizeRider

BelizeRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Terry-
    Sent a check out to you this weekend, along with positive thoughts for your continued recovery. Wish I could participate in the ride this Sunday - I'm sure it will be attended by many supportive friends as well as strangers who share a common hope for your well-being. Your friends on the forum will be thinking about you!
    Take Care,
    Jim

p.s. If there is someone who can set-up a paypal site on your behalf, that may make it easier for some to contribute. Many of us have provided funds to support riders on their challenging trips, I would say that your current journey falls into that category.
  2. not2fast

not2fast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I am home again after another hospital stay. 10 days this time for an infection. Thank you to everyone who supported my benrfit ride. I am blessed to have you all as friends.

Keep me in your thoughts,

Terry
  3. ZugBug

ZugBug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Terry,
    Good to see you back on line. Sorry I missed you on Sunday but I did get to meet a bunch of nice folks who think you're a pretty great guy. Take care and keep us posted on your progress.
    Paul
  4. 2handedSpey

2handedSpey bunned

Oddometer:
    May peace be in your heart.

Keep on keepin on, buddy!
  5. morena67

morena67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    -Wish you all the best, My love and respect for you.
  6. not2fast

Oddometer:
    My son and I got my 1970 Yamaha HT-1 enduro 90 running yesterday. It was fun therapy for me to show him how to make it happen. Hearing a 40 yr old two stroke run is music to the ears. I just wish I could have rode it too!!

Terry
  7. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    Terry,

When I read your original post, it just punched me in the gut (see my sig line and you'll understand). Thoughts and prayers headed your way. One day at a time, my friend. One day at a time.
  8. pjm204

pjm204 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I just read through all 8 pages and all I can say is that I am sorry this happened to someone who seems like a truly great person. As riders we all hope to never experience a life altering accident but you're showing us how someone handles it in an inspirational way.

I hope to have a long riding career ahead of me, I've only been riding 4 years but I'd be grateful to have another 40 more.

Just remember, we're all here for you when you need us. I'm local and would be happy to lend a hand if you ever need it.
  9. not2fast

Oddometer:
    You never realize how simple tasks like reaching for a book or drink require skill when in a wheelchair. Balance is everything for these moves. I have to laugh at myself when I can't get to something simple. My wife and son are great through all of this, they make me a whole person who can do things using the "new" normal.

Enjoy life and ride safe,
    Terry
  10. gfloyd2002

gfloyd2002 Title Free Since '12

Oddometer:
    Terry,

I check back in here every few days to see if you've posted - thanks for keeping us up to date. Sounds funny, because so few of us know you, but we really are invested in your recovery and are rooting hard for you!

I was bummed to hear you imply you are less than a whole person or that you can't do simple things. Don't see what is simple about it. Also seems to be that your ability to overcome with a chuckle makes you more of a well-rounded person than I can claim to be. We really show our mettle when the going gets tough, and you've sure shown it.

Cheers,
    Floyd
  11. not2fast

Oddometer:
    Each day brings its ups and downs. Finding ways to overcome the downs makes for many up moments. My missing leg makes my balance unstable but I'm learing to compensate. Getting in and out of bed makes for exciting moments with balance control. But I'm learning how to do it and the challenge is not as great.

Tasks require planning and placement of items needed for the task. I tried to move a stack of books and almost fell out of the chair! Moral- move one at a time!

And so it goes,
    Terry
  12. Mr. DTM

Mr. DTM The Donald Thomas Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think Mr. Boyer will mind, so here's a link to a video clip that let's you put a face to the name. The news story is from July '12.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=8740822<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  13. hosertp

hosertp Adnauseam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was a cool clip, thanks for sharing it. Hang in there Terry with best wishes and prayers sent!
    Paul
  14. not2fast

Oddometer:
    Its been a while since I updated everyone here. Since the last post my wife and I have moved to a ranch house to accomodate my special needs. We did the move on Nov 10th here in Lititz PA. The help for the move came from friends far and wide. The biggest volume of helpers that day was from RORR, the club that runs the best enduros, hare scrambles and dual sport events on the east coast!! (yes I am a life member of that great group)..

Also helping was church and Boy Scout groups. I had been a scout leader for nearly 8 years. My wife and I will be forever thankful for the help and support we have received from groups and individuals who continue to help us out including those here on Adv Rider who continue to inspire me with their thoughts and generosity.

Its been six months since my accident. I am doing well but there are days that really test me. It is a big challenge to suddenly become a paraplegic and amputee at age 60. I am hoping to expand my interests from motorcycles to other things but the change is not easy. I rode for 40 years and now realize even more how much joy that gave me and the friends I made during that time.

Again thanks for remembering me and I hope you liked the video of me and Ford the service dog.

Best to all,
    Terry aka Not2fast
  15. CoFloW

CoFloW Pray For Snow.

Oddometer:
    Terry, Horrible news to me and my Pa! Are prayers and thought's are with you man!
  16. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read your thread and I want to stop riding, except it is in the blood. My uncle was a paraplegic many years ago. He managed to have a lot of fun. We did a lot of conversions on things. He managed to crash his power wheelchair a lot of times. Once he rolled it end over end into a river, and he had to swim to save himself. Hearing him laugh as he told the story. Adapt and move on. I learned some things that were useful in life.

Keep on keeping on sir.

Rod
  17. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The experiences youve had create an approach that works for you- now that approach is completely different. The older we get the more ingrained our methods of dealing with life are. You know more (way more) about this than I do as you have more life experiences, but I guess I hope you can see your new life as a new approach. Its a different skillset and as terrible as this experience must be, you gain insight into a world most cannot comprehend.

I dont want to sugarcoat it- im sure it sucks. But, your son can gain much from your perspectives. I especially agree with the earlier suggestion of writing down your thoughts and what this experience has caused you to think about- that would be GOLD to your son one day.

I say all this because one thing people struggle with is their value after an accident like this. They think of all they may cost others and all the things they cannot do. While there is a cost and things you cannot do, the cost is paid by those who value you beyond what you have lost (use of legs in this case)- life today is more than ever in the mind. You will see a different dimension and you will learn a lot.

I wish you the best man- rolling my DR650 ATGATT tomorrow in your honor! :freaky
  18. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    I wish you the best Terry ill be riding tomorrow in your honor, tho after 40 yrs I have a feeling your going to find a way back on a bike..

p.s. lets see some pics of that ht-1 90. i had one a long long time ago if you sell it let me know..
  19. not2fast

Oddometer:
    Hi Tammy,
    Saw you at RORR events over the years. Thanks for your note. My son, all 6' 5" of him, loves to ride the HT-1. Its a gold one, all original, with a Skyway silencer that was put on by the dealer in 1970 when the bike was purchased. I will have to look for a pic or two to post.

I sold my old DL1000 and 99 DR650 after the accident. I could not bring myself to sell the 1970 Yamaha 90 Enduro HT-1 or my 1964 Vespa VNB 125. They are fun to look at even if I can't ride them. During the prep for the move my son also found some old photos of me on my 1977 Husky 250 wr and some shots of me taken at the Pine Grove Flying Dutchman hare scrambles in the early 1980s. I was riding a Husky 3090 WR at that time.

Yes its fun to look back. I was lucky to be able to enjoy all those great riding experiences.

Best to all,
    Terry
  20. soboy

soboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just saw this thread. So sorry this happened to you but you have an amazingly good attitude. Godspeed!