South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa Minimalist Adventure

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JDowns, Oct 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:
    Dad used to be a wild motorcycle rider, or maybe just a regular Colombian rider for that matter :D. But now, at 70 y.o. I can barely keep up with him hiking up the mountains or dodging pedestrians in the thick of downtown. He keeps amazing me with his disposition to help and make stuff happen.

This one is for you Dad :thumbup:thumbup

Now back to the RR
  2. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    Hey John D,

[​IMG]
  3. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    So with the cheap crossing, and the repair costs would you spend an extra $200 to get your bike across in good shape?
  4. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:
    Dad used to be a wild motorcycle rider, or maybe just a regular Colombian rider for that matter :D. But now, at 70 y.o. I can barely keep up with him hiking up the mountains or dodging pedestrians in the thick of downtown. He keeps amazing me with his disposition to help and make stuff happen.

This one is for you Dad :thumbup:thumbup

Now back to the RR
  5. Dracula

Dracula Fat Griso & The Ape Supporter

Oddometer:
    John's story truly helps me understand actual meaning of being a traveler not intent on arriving, seeking to find the real values in the travel itself. The Sherpa damage has turned into nothing else but an opportunity to meet the nicest people one could ever hope by taking the hardest path and accepting whatever comes that way. :deal
  6. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Boy you aren't kidding. That man is amazing. Takes stairs two at a time in the Metro station and has amazing stamina. Gives me hope. We borrowed a car to go visit your Mom and drop off laundry, and your Pop can drive that thing.

He made it all look easy today. And he speaks a fair amount of English so I am improving my Spanish vocabulary as well.

Plus he was cracking me up as I was struggling to get the pinch bolts off. Telling me they are like a woman. If they aren't used regularly they are tough to crack. Or the two best things in Colombia are the women and mountain roads. Both have lots of curvas peligrosas.

Muchas gracias amigo,
    Juan
  7. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi 805gregg,

No way. I wouldn't change a thing. This whole experience is right up my alley. I'm not saying I would recommend it for others. But I seem to like living on the edge. It keeps life interesting. Who knows where this ride report will go. I sure don't.

Nothing wrong with flying your bike over or taking the Stahlratte though. They are good options.

Saludos,
    Juan Salsa
  8. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think he needs a :babe dictionary.
  9. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi FatBob,

I forgot about the zombie angle. You are so right!! The Sherpa Zombie lives.

Best,
    Nebraska John
  10. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    I love those riding activities, competitions, and shooting! We have great campouts around here but yet to see such an awesome variety of competitive activities. So cool you got to experience and share it. :thumb
  11. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi ONandOFF,

Zombiefests are a hoot whether you're in Oklahoma or raising a bike from the dead in Colombia.

Glad to have you along for the ride amigo.

Siempre,

Juan Zombie
  12. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

Looks like since Tierra Del Fuego is so far away this season, you might as well just settle in Colombia for a while to properly ride it, and send us allot of pictures of most dangerous curves we can't wait to see :evil

Best,
    Vic
  13. JDowns

Oddometer:
    Hi Vic,

It is rainy season in Peru and Bolivian Andes. I think Colombia and Venezuela need some ride reporting since the weather is so nice up here.

South America is huge. I will only scratch the surface this year. But don't worry, I plan on parking the bike when I run out of money and fly back down next year after I earn more riding money. I'm just glad to have made it this far.

Saludos,
    Juan Vagabond
  14. Dracula

Oddometer:
    Hi John,

I for one am very interested in your trip plans as I not only enjoy following your adventures allot, but also they fuel my dream about one day when I will be able to go as far.
    I am sure there are many who want to keep you on he road, reporting, we're all living vicariously through your experiences.

In fact I am planning to sell my house here in the overrated NYC metro area and move somewhere else I could park my belongings and do as much moto travel to my heart content for as long as money last. I am thinking retirement is for sissies, if I can live now at 50 I'd rather work in computers when I am old and bored and am hoping once I start, to push that day as far away as possible. But I am taking little steps now.

All the best!
    Vic
  15. SS in Vzla.

SS in Vzla. Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer:
    :rofl
  16. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    be careful of the siren song of Medellin, John, she has a way of sucking you in. :thumb
  17. trespalacios

trespalacios Oh libertad

Oddometer:
    Here they are after stuffing the bike in the trunk. He roped it in and it didn't fall out in thick rush hour traffic. No need to worry if the front end sticking out to the left gets whacked. It's already toast:

[​IMG]

I still can't get over this :rofl
  18. AussieAlexS

AussieAlexS n00b

Oddometer:
    Here they are after stuffing the bike in the trunk. He roped it in and it didn't fall out in thick rush hour traffic. No need to worry if the front end sticking out to the left gets whacked. It's already toast:

[​IMG]

This is beautiful. Try doing that with a GS800! Go the Sherpa, many more miles to cover before this ride is over.
  19. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That's a big reason I travel to Latin America. :freaky
  20. midlifecry

midlifecry n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us along. Colombia is a special place. I was there about 30 years ago and am looking forward to seeing it again through your eyes. It is a beautiful county desde la costa a las montanias hasta los llanos. Que le vaya bien.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.