Photos from Michaux SF Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JaxObsessed, Oct 29, 2010.

1. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    I wish!! Only ATVs allowed except for the organized dualsport and enduro.
  2. turbojerk

turbojerk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was VERY tempted yesterday.... Just sayin... LoL!:rofl
  3. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Sounds like an opportunity to organize something. :wink:
  4. turbojerk

Oddometer:
    Care to list the locations of the pic's?
  5. Paebr332

Oddometer:
    I believe the first pic is at the Valley View overlook on Oak Road and the second and third pics are at the intersection of Oak Road and 233. The last two are at Buzzard's Rock on Hogshead Road. Not sure about the ones with the bus as I was not with them by the time of the "find," but it looks to be Sandy Sod where Ridge, Stillhouse Hollow and Lindsay Lot Road all meet. The Appalachian trail also crosses the intersection there and it looks like the AT behind the bus' rear bumper. Jeff will know for certain.

If the bus is at Sandy Sod the driver earned his keep. The roads to there are a breeze on a dual sport, but could be exciting in a bus.
  6. turbojerk

Oddometer:
    man I really need to hook up with a ride one of these day's... I just don't know my way around up there enough... I've decided that I'm going to hit Buzzard's Rock this week...
  7. Denny Mann

Denny Mann Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bus was at the corner of Ridge, Means Hollow, and Canada Hollow Roads.

On another subject, I had an interesting phone call this morning from the Pennsylvania DCNR. Because I am holding a MSF class with an adventure ride in October and a Google Alert went to the DCNR. Luck that I was not doing anything wrong because I had to answer a lot of questions. The lesson learned is when you post on any forum watch what you say. Forums are no place to boast about breaking the law or you may pay the price.
  8. turbojerk

Oddometer:
    Someday the mountain might get me, but the law never will….!

LoL!
  9. Paebr332

Oddometer:
    That is also not an easy drive for a bus. My hat is off to the driver.

Great meeting you Denny. Hope to see you again sometime in Michaux or Tuscarora.
  10. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    they don't have to catch you, they just ban ALL motorcycle on the stone roads, like they are getting ready to do in NJ.
  11. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:
    This is what a lot of people don't get.
    Post a video of an illegal act and get arrested for it and get everyone else banned because of one bad Apple
  12. turbojerk

Oddometer:
    I said "LoL"!!

Didn't pick up on the Dukes Of Hazzard theam there I suppose...:ear
  13. turbojerk

Oddometer:
    From my experience they will do what the wanna do anyway...
  14. birds

birds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm glad I found this thread.

I've hiked in this area and I've wanted to come back and ride there. I'm thinking about a little camping and riding here next weekend.

Any suggestions on camping in the area?
  15. Paebr332

Oddometer:
    You can camp at Caledonia State Park if you are looking for "organized" camping. There are also small designated camping areas at the Big Flat parking lot to the AT, at the Piney Mountain parking area at the north end of Piney Mountain Ridge Road, at Whispering Pines off District Road and at Birchtree Ridge off of Woodrow Road.

Primitive backpack camping is permitted anywhere in Michaux. You need a free permit if you stay more than one night at the same backpack campsite.
  16. TowPro

Oddometer:
    I understand. But this thread has a large following, some don't know to keep off the ATV ONLY trails, and then there are active participants here that are known by DCNR and have positive relationships with them.

Its good to put a reminder out here every once and a while :).

I think the term is "policing our ranks together" (through education).

Motorcycles are only allowed on roads open to the public.
    ATV's are only allowed on ATV trails.
    In PA, An ATV is a device with 4 or more wheels.
  17. turbojerk

Oddometer:
    Thats why I asked the question in the first place!

Just FYI, I've owned a 4-wheeler (or 3-wheeler) since I was 10 y.o.

BTW,... 3-wheelers aren't alowed any more???
  18. birds

birds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'm really looking forward to it. Not many chances for legitimate primitive camping for me.
  19. TowPro

Oddometer:
    My response was NOT directed at you. Just reminding others reading this thread that Motorcycles are not allowed on the PA State Forest ATV trails. (you need to turn on PM's :norton )

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter77.pdf
    7702. Definitions.
    The following words and phrases when used in this chapter shall have, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, the meanings given to them in this section:
    "All-terrain vehicle" or "ATV." A motorized off-highway vehicle which travels on three or more inflatable tires and which has:
    (1) a maximum width of 50 inches and a maximum dry weight of 1,000 pounds; or
    (2) a width which exceeds 50 inches or a dry weight which exceeds 1,000 pounds.
    ATV's described in paragraph (1) may be referred to as Class I ATV's, and ATV's described in paragraph (2) may be referred to as Class II ATV's. This term does not include snowmobiles, trail bikes, motorboats, golf carts, aircraft, dune buggies, automobiles, construction machines, trucks or home utility machines; military, fire, emergency and
  20. turbojerk

Oddometer:
    It’s all good,…I know… I was just stating my reason for the question… As tempted as I was (and probably others before me) to just turn down that trail head I knew in the back of my mind that for some reason unknown to me at the time it was a no-no! Not sure why exactly but I just figured from past experiences…. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    My first experience ATVing there was kind of a buzz kill… We all got treated like criminals in the parking lot while loading up even though we all had our temp stickers on our quads… That was WAY back in the late 90’s though… Hopefully that type of treatment has all changed for the better! Haven’t been back ATVing since….<o:p></o:p>