Inconceivable! Considering trading Superbike for a Breva 1100

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by redveloce, Jul 29, 2008.

1. redveloce

redveloce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As much as I love my Ducati, my body just doesn’t get along with the sporting riding position. :cry Since I value my ability to walk, I’ve been looking into alternatives. In my search I came across an excellent deal on a brand new left over ’07 MotoGuzzi Breva 1100. I’ve spent the past couple days perusing the web and this site, and have read all of the reviews I can find.

Now I would like to hear from owners. Does anyone here have a Breva 1100? How do you like it?

I’ve always like Guzzis, but have never owned or ridden one. A test ride is an obvious first step, which I’m planning on taking tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a short ride to determine if I like it or hate it. If I like it I plan on taking it out for a much longer ride (several hours) on Saturday before making a final decision.<o:p></o:p>
    Birchgroover likes this.
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    While never riding a Breva1100, I've spent some good seat time on a Norge 1200, and 1200 Sport, both based off the Breva platform. I've then compared these machines to my older V11 Sport. Surprisingly, they did not offer an increase in power over the older 1100, but their fit & finish is better, have an upgraded version of the already fine Marelli EFI, better handling, and the possibility of factory bolt on stuff. A better rear shaft system as well, better than anything found on a BMW to this day.
    All in all, I think a Breva is a great bike, but if I was to buy one, it would be the 1200 Sport. The standard Breva has most of the things I like in a motorcycle, except for me anyways, it does not have what I call "garage appeal", the draw to make me look back one more time before closing the garage door!
    Steve
    Birchgroover likes this.
  3. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Care to elaborate on the "better shaft system" ? :ear
  4. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    By better, from what I've read, it's much more robust than the BMW units. I have experience with BMW shafts, and they are not the best design. I've never heard of an MG unit failing, except for a few very early of the CARC units having sub par bearing, which has been retrofitted to all since.
    Steve
    Birchgroover likes this.
  5. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Birchgroover likes this.
  6. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Oh. Thought you were comparing CARC with previous Guzzi units.

Personally, I think Guzzi's best rear drive is the floating unit on the spine-frame bikes...
  7. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I rode a Griso 8V for a few days earlier this month. I recommend you wait till MG releases a standard with that motor :evil
  8. McB

McB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like a V-11 version of the new V-7 Classic. :evil
  9. redveloce

Oddometer:
  10. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Linky?
  11. Burro X

Burro X no static at all

Oddometer:
    I have an 06' B1100, got it from MPH in Jan 06. It has about 28K on it so far, I have several other street bikes ( GS, RSVR and Tuono ) so it gets miles split between those.
    Things I like: riding position, the motor of course (I have had other Guzzi's ) the BIG fuel tank and range that goes with it, the versatility of the luggage system I have, comfy for 2 up riding, power is more than adequate for most riding conditions ( when you want to ride "under the edge" )
    Dislikes: cornering clearnace is limited compared to say a Duc or Aprilia, especially on the left side, centerstand grinds pretty hard ( and I have raised it a little over stock position ) the issues I have had are: Sidestand bolts vibrated out, check engine light stayed on requiring dashboard replacement, CARC main seal leaking, ( all repaired under warranty ) suspension is undersprung unless your weigh under 170 lbs, forks and rear shock need both compression and rebound adjustments ( ok I need to fork out for the OHLINS I know )
    I have ridden this bike with some very long trips, always reliable, comfortable ( I have done a 975 mile day + many 500 + days )
    If you want something "different", comfortable, reliable, and fun this is a great bike. I have ridden the 1200 Sport and Norge, the power difference is negligable between them and the B1100.
    Valves adjustments take 30 minutes, oil changes 10 minutes, all DIY.
    Having a great dealer within shouting distance helps also.
    Everyone rants about the 8V motors coming out, but seriously 10 more HP on a 525lb bike isn't a big deal, and valve adjustments won't be 30 minutes and they are much more $$$ .
    It all depends on what your are really looking for, how much you want to spend, and what your ego check wants to cash...
    any questions ask away !
    Birchgroover likes this.
  12. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    To what? :ear
  13. redveloce

Oddometer:
    Thanks Burro X, that’s exactly what I was looking for! :clap

I took it for a short 20 minute test ride today. I wasn’t able to get as much out of the ride as I normally would because of the dealer’s location close to the city and rush hour traffic, but I can say that I don’t hate it.

It’s definitely a different beast. The power felt pretty good but it almost felt like it had turbo lag at low RPM. When grabbing a hand full of throttle at low RPM I would hear the intake and feel the engine react a little, but it would take a good two-count before the power would really hit. The dealer explained that I was feeling the effect of the very heavy flywheel and this is standard fare for Guzzis. It didn’t seem to do this at higher RPM or nearly as badly at speed. The suspension did also seem a little soft, but I didn’t play with any of the settings.

Other than those two relatively minor things, I really couldn’t find anything wrong with it. I was impressed by how well it hid the 500+lbs, flicking from side to side and dancing around the residential roundabouts (not the real deal, just mini versions that Seattle likes to use to slow people down) like a much smaller and lighter bike. I also liked how well the clutch and transmission worked, taking a very light touch to change gears, and pulling away cleanly with very little throttle modulation and no clutch drama. This is possibly the easiest bike to ride I have ever tried.

I’m going back on Saturday to take it out for a couple of hours so I can see how it rides at higher speeds, on crooked backroads, and two up. :deal
  14. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I very much agree with you. I've got a green V11 Sport since new, and with 48,000 k's on it, no issues with the shaft system, nice set up.
    Steve
  15. mtwillyman

mtwillyman Lost and Cornfuzed Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Breva 1100 is 1 year and 5000 miles old. Fit and finish are excellent. I like the big ass gas tank and the brakes very much. I still can't get along with the Guzzi wind screen though. Fuel mileage on tour is 47-52 mpg. The engine is tuned for very lean running though. Low end power is anemic for a big twin bike. The bike doesn't come on the pipe until 5000 rpm. The only warranty issue I've had was the CARC bearing started to fail and caused the seal to leak oil on my wheel and brakes. Moto international fixed it under warranty. I use my Breva 1100 for weekend trips mostly. If it had 10 more Ft/Lbs of torque it would be excellent. guzzitech.com has lots of useful info on the newer guzzi's. Good luck. :slurp
  16. _Tuf_

_Tuf_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. I like the Sport better also but part of my problem is the dealership had the suspension set pretty soft and the back end felt like it was wallowing through turns. The power on the standard Breva was a little low but it really is an overall nice bike.
  17. redveloce

Oddometer:
    I did it! :clap

I picked it up last night and I couldn't be more happy. I love the power band on this thing and instant torque anywhere in the rev band without any drama. I've always been a 'naked' bike kind of guy, so the ergonomics are perfect for me. I gave the Superbike thing a try and it just didn't work for me. I hope the 1098 works out well for the next person, I took good care of her, but I won't be missing it a bit!

[​IMG]
  18. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Well done mate :clap . My next bike will probably be the new Tenere, but if I could have that just so road-going piece of art in the garage it would be a Guzzi (I am in love with the Griso).

Enjoy it!
  19. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    good on ya' - that's one purdy motorsickle...
  20. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a beauty :clap