Pee Leak, and other stuff to gripe about

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Buzztail, May 2, 2012.

1. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, you got a KTM bolt in that shifter now...
  2. Chicken Helmet

Chicken Helmet I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer:
    Mine has an Audi bolt.
  3. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean this is the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Damn Yuppie
  4. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
    Guess I have a KTMLR DUCAUDI.
  5. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Elitist :eyes
  6. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
    In the most unpure sense of the word.
  7. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    I'd just like to say that the group of engineers that came up with the optispark for the Chevy LT1 engine can go fuck themselves! :twitch
  8. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Along with the Suzuki engineers who came up with the DRZ gearbox...
  9. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    Over heard at the GM design studio: "let's put the distributor behind the waterpump, my computer analysis shows it will never go bad or burn the cap."
    Try finding a external torx to remove the cap :becca I got's one

You having problems spanky? :ear
  10. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Meh, When I had to replace my optispark it was only like 1400.00 IIRC...

Chad has a good unit of mine in his shop unless he's tossed it. Want me to UPS it? Sign here Sir
  11. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they needed one guy... just ONE FUCKING GUY that's been on just ONE FUCKING dual sport ride on that team to say.... "Why don't we just throw one more gear in." or "Dontcha think 5th is a little short?"
  12. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
  13. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
    Shit, I still check my KLR shifter from time to time to make sure 6th isn't laying in the bottom of the gearbox somewhere.
  14. ineptizoid

ineptizoid I'm scared hold me

Oddometer:
    Quoted for Troof.:deal

Hey, I'm easy to please--an overdrive 6th would be fantastic, but I could be happy with a (much) taller 5th. The DRZ has the stupidest transmission ratios I've ever experienced. Shifts real smooth though, I gotta give it that.

Ya know, I used to do that all the time until I tried a 16T CS sprocket. Now 5K RPM is ~75 actual, and I don't spend much time on the interstate anyway. And 1st is still plenty low enough for the light-duty DS riding I do:nod
  15. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
    Here lately i've been doing waay more interstate riding than I want to do. I may give it a try, especially since i have a smaller bike for woods riding.
  16. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    I hate KTM for putting the most ridiculous fucking safety bead in the annals of safety beads on the back wheels on 9fiddies. (I used "annals" and "beads" in the same sentence. Hehehe.) It is so hard to break the bead on that tire you're better off selling the bike than changing a back tire yourself.

Thursday: Took a "one-hour" break from "work" to spoon on my new Scorpion. Six hours later I'm still at it, but I've got it, goddmanit, ain't nothing gonna stop me now. Except two little spots on the tire where the bead refuses to seat no matter what I do. So I unseat the bead again, lube it up like Ron Jeremy, dial the compressor up to full warp speed and go for broke.

60 psi … it scoffs at 60 psi
    80 psi … maybe a little nudge?
    90 psi … ok, some movement now
    100 psi … still hasn't seated. It bounces nice though
    110 psi … Have you ever felt a motorcycle tire inflated to 110 psi? It's like granite. Basically a bomb at this point
    120 psi … and BANG! Clearly someone just snuck up behind me and fired a shotgun right next to my ear. That's the sound of a KTM rear wheel seating the bead at 120 psi. Victory! I love the smell of baby powder in the morning.

Next thing I hear when my ears stop ringing is the air hissing out of tire. The tube has expired. It is a former tube. It is no longer among the living. It was a brand new heavy duty unit. Apparently it was not designed to handle 120 psi. Piece of shit.

Which means I now have to break the bead all over again to replace the tube …

Fuck you, KTM.
    nk14zp likes this.
  17. Jack Daniel

Jack Daniel See Ya At The Swamp Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dayum! :rolleyes Now that's sumptin' worth bitchin' about :1drink
  18. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

E- sockets at China Freight $8.

Took the opti apart, cleaned it, and it's working ok now.
    Must have had about 3-4oz of oil in it from a leaking $2 seal behind the unit. :becca We'll see how it holds up.

If you still have it and mine hasn't taken a crap, I'll gladly accept it. :buzz

Opti's are anywhere from $79-$600. :huh Delphi/Delco/MSD are on the high end of the price spectrum. Cheap, china chit is on the lower end. From my research, it appears that the difference is the Mitsubishi optical sensor. That's what commands the high price in these units. We'll see how this one holds up.

19. Dr.Z

Oddometer:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had an issue lately with anal beads! :D

Speaking of tars, I got a new front tar to put on the KTM about a month ago. Easy, peasy. I usually get the whole job done from taking it of the bike to mounting it back on in about 15-20 minutes.

Well, I decide to put one of the Motion Pro litelock rim locks on the front and remove the stock one while I'm in there. Upon inspection, I notice that the litelock is not as wide as the stock rim lock. No big deal, it still fits and looks like it will do the job. So... after 2 tube blowouts and 2 hours, I finally had the tar/wheel back on the bike.

You see, the rim lock was narrow enough that the tube would wrap around the side of it and, while you're filling it up with air, it would rip the fooker a nice, big hole. After the 2nd tube, I figured out WTF was happening. :baldy
  20. Chicken Helmet

Oddometer:
    Fucking two tube noobs.