The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Cykel

Cykel I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer:
    Mine spins up the same way but I've only tried stopping it with the brake. Will give foot-stop a test next time I'm at the bike. I've been trying lots of center stand stuff in an attempt to get my TCS to engage properly.
  2. TH

TH There and Here

Oddometer:
    It is normal to a point. I have had the rear tire spin on other bikes in the past. But once the oil warms up, it should slow down or should be easily controlled by using your foot. Is the bike warmed up when you try this? but the reassuring thing is that when you use the break, it doesn't bog the engine down. So it doesn't appear to be causing undue drag on the engine.

How many miles are on your S10? Maybe it needs to be broken in a little more?

Gives me pause, I may try that with my S10 in the near future to see if it happens to me too.
  3. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    At some point not, but by far most likely to be normal.

- Mark
  4. Cykel

Cykel I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer:
    On the topic of normal center-stand behaviors, could anyone give input on the TCS system? I believe mine to be non-functional given that I never see it intervene and can get the rear wheel to spin up in any mode.

Here are the tests I've done:
    1 - Tested ABS functionality via the test connector under the seat. All is good.
    2 - Tested ABS on the road and it worked
    3 - Bike on center stand, TC1, running, throttle slowly to 20 mph...ABS light flashes but nothing else.
    4 - Above test in TC2 with same result, except a few seconds after I brake the rear to a stop the TC shuts itself off and throws a code as expected.

I checked the sensors and rings for excessive dirt or buildup but all quite clean.

Never had any intervention in any mode, road or dirt.

I expected some TC intervention when on the throttle on the center-stand. Talked with a shop on Friday and taking it in later this week, but wanted more data from others if possible.
  5. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Center stand tests for the TC won't work.

- Find some dirt
    - Make sure you're in TC 1 mode
    - Turn the throttle wfo. Don't do it gently, whack that sucker wide open

If you're throwing a 50' roost, your TC isn't working. If the orange TC light lights up on the dash and your not throwing a 50' roost, it's working properly :thumb

Happy to help :lol3
  6. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :huh On a loose gravel road TC1 hit it hard in a lower gear and it should fall on it's face. Won't go, won't wheel spin,
    TC light will be flashing. TC2 it should give you a good wheel spin and let you play a little with back wheel,
    light will still flash. TC off, well, that's when it will be really fun.

I've never done the center stand test. I always thought the front wheel had to spin as well for the bike
    to compare the two speeds and decide to cut power to keep them matched. :dunno
  7. Cykel

Cykel I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer:
    That could be the case.

When in TCS1 I hit the gas hard in loose gravel and the rear end swings around everywhere...no intervention. Haven't really tested TCS2 in the same fashion...just ridden without worrying about it.
  8. Pampero

Pampero Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't have an S10 and don't know how it's electronics are organized against this issue, but this is fairly typical wet clutch behavior. Remember that your clutch runs in an oil bath so will have some tendency to work a bit like a torque converter does. Dry clutch is different.
  9. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, how about in sand? If you have had the thing in sand and try to power out in the TC1 mode
    it won't give you any power. I've had to stop and switch modes to have enough steam to get out.

From what you said about on gravel it surprises me because TC1 usually doesn't let much get loose.

What ever it it is I wish mine did it. I've always thought TC off should be the default setting. I'm always
    forgetting to reset it after stopping.
  10. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3 You must not be from the US, land of the free, home of the most lawyers per capita on earth.

I know where you are from, and I agree with you.
  11. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds normal then I supposed. My S10 has over 15000 miles on it, so no more break in for me.

The TCS does nothing on the center stand, nor will it do anything stopped (you can hold the front brake and do a burnout). Gravel/dirt is the easiest location to test the TCS, but even on pavement I can activate mine quite easy...

First gear, cruising about 3500 RPM, crack the throttle open. It will either do a smallish wheelie or spin up the back tire (if wet), or make the light flash like crazy.

If you're rear end "swings around everywhere" with TC1 on, something is not right. TC1 doesn't allow me to slide the back end more than about 6" before it snaps it back in line automatically.
  12. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right. I should shut up or they will remove the TC options. Leave us trying how to
    find away around all the netuering of gears, rpm and TC. Let alone braking. Suddenly
    vintage bikes don't sound so bad.:D

Part of the problem with all this reliable new electric stuff is it makes it too easy for the factory
    to put a party killing bug in everything.
  13. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been looking into a method to cause it to automatically switch it to TC2 upon start-up. I'll be doing some playing around, but I think it can be done once you've tapped into the switch in the gauge cluster (as if to add a handlebar mounted switch).

This wiring diagram (stolen from here) should turn constant power into a pulse. So, in theory, turning on the headlights (like starting the bike) will also press the TC button, switching it to TC2. Again, in theory, you could change the value of the resistor to create a longer pulse, such as that needed to turn the TC completely off. You could even make it wait 10 seconds before switching with a time delay relay, but then it wouldn't work if you started moving to soon.
    [​IMG]
  14. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are light years ahead of me. I'm still pleased at myself to be able to reset the trip meter.
    Now they tell me there are two. I'm screwed.
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    This may help..

Start at 5:20..

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tyg7l4pfGx4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cheers
    Graham
  16. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The trip meter can be reset?:huh:huh:huh:huh
  17. pluric

pluric Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, every 1,000 miles. Automatic.
  18. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW, this bike has it all. I'll bet the clock resets automatically for daylight savings time as well, once a year. :rofl
  19. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Yea, these new high tech bikes are just so boring compared to the old banana boats we used to ride. Hate the fact that they are faster, more reliable, get better gas milage and handle better too. Give me the old shit any day!:D