Dualsport Utah Camp/Ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rut Runner, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Rut Runner

Rut Runner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a write up of my dirtbike trip in Utah I did last September. I had 10 days to ride off-road from Green River to Mesquite and back. The plan was to ride trails all day and sleep under the stars each night.

This trip marked quite a change for me. After 25 years of day tripping on dirtbikes I wanted to try something different. I would be foregoing the bed, shower, regular restaurant meals and other in-town amenities for a rather spartan camping setup. I was hoping the benefits would outweigh the negatives-more riding, more stargazing, more freedom. Was it worth it? Did I make it? Read on!

Here is some preview pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued...
  2. Rut Runner

Oddometer:
    Below is a picture of my bike and gear, prior to departure. The E-12 saddlebags hold my sleeping bag, 2” inflatable pad, inflatable pillow, tarp and long underwear. The tail bag carries enough food for 1-2 meals, and some miscellaneous items, including a trail stand and folding pruning saw. The camelback takes all my water, camera, SPOT and various overflow items.

[​IMG]

A small Dakar box attached to the skidplate holds most of my tools. Front and rear tubes, a pump and repair kit stay in the bag under the headlight. Tire irons are mounted on the skidplate. First aid kit and medications are in a welding rod tube mounted behind the headlight.

Absent from my setup were cooking equipment, extra footwear and a tent. I figured my tarp could double as a tent in a pinch. My Alpinestar tech 3 boots are surprisingly comfortable, and with the top buckles undone allowing the ankle to flex, I could walk long distances,(if I had too) . I wanted to keep meals quick and easy, so no cookware. On the trail meals were either leftovers or tinned food. Not as bad as it sounds as I would be hitting a gas station or small town everyday.

How much trouble could I get into using the above setup, and riding solo for 10 days through sparsely populated deserts?

These would be some of the highlights:

1. Engage in an open itinerary, solo backcountry bike trip with no prior bike camping experience, using new gear and a completely untested setup,

2. Waking up in a thunderstorm, realizing all my electronics are lying about, run over to cover them up, then turn around to see my air mattress go sailing away into the darkness

3. Looking up at a mountain peak enveloped in dark storm clouds, then proceeding to ride through it anyways.

4. prep for the trip by mounting a free 100/100-18 rear tire, which is a 250 size tire, on my 650, then having to detour 50 miles because I couldn’t climb a sand hill on the Great Western Trail.

5. having a gust of wind topple my tripod mounted camera, damaging the lens, then two days later having the exact same thing happen with my backup camera.

6. attempting my first trailside flat repair ever, then having more flats than I’ve had in the last 25 years of dirtbiking.

To be cont'd...
  3. kevinmerlo

kevinmerlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm onboard and looking forward to the ride report! Good for you for going for it.
  4. Idahohigh

Idahohigh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk This could be a great adventure or a hilarious comedy
  5. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    I'll be doing the exact same shit in the near future, that is, minimalist camping off a relatively small bike. So I'm looking forward to an honest straight up and in depth report on what you would and wouldn't do again.

Sorry it sounds like a homework assignment now :D

I have a feeling that little "free" rear tire may give you some grief before this is over...
  6. markplace

markplace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride the same way (and same bike) and have wanted to do a trip in Utah. this will be a great preview.
  7. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I am in for the RR. Looking forward to it. :D
  8. hennikerjd

hennikerjd I am Jack's wasted life

Oddometer:
    sounds great!

I'm in
  9. Rut Runner

Oddometer:
    Even starting this trip was a challenge. Work asked me to shift my vacation back by a week, which I did. The extra prep time didn’t help much. I was still overwhelmed at work, there was a rush of last minute things to do and I ended up getting 5 hours sleep each night for the 4 nights leading up to the start- and the same thing happens every year!. This year was even worse-two days before departure my wife demanded a front brake job on her car, so there went one evening.

Since I was hauling in from the east, Colorado was in the way. Reluctantly I unloaded the bike and did abit of a bike shakedown, three days worth actually.

Day 1 in Taylor Park:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2 was the Alpine Loop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 3 was out of Ouray:

[​IMG]

There is a black jeep straight ahead to the right on the shelf road:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bike shakedown was a success, now on to the main event!

To be cont'd
    Dewey316 likes this.
  10. VARider67

VARider67 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm along for the ride. Looking forward to it.
  11. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    Great photos!
  12. uintamts

uintamts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice report. I'm in.
  13. Rut Runner

Oddometer:
    Next up was the main event, Utah. The start point would be the town of Green River. I chose this because it’s on I70 in a somewhat central location. Initially I had considered Grand Junction, but thought that was a bit too ambitious. I loaded up the bike with all my gear for a trial test run. Everything seemed to hold together so it was back to the motel for the final preparations. I spent the whole evening prepping the bike and my gear. It’s surprising how many little things you have to pack for a ride/camp trip! I was feeling a tingling of anticipation and excitement-after years of thinking about it I was finally going to do it!

The morning came and I left Green River heading south. For the first 30 minutes I found myself thinking about my packing list and what I might have forgotten. After awhile I shrugged and thought-if a forgot anything I'll just buy it in Moab.

Picking up some singletract a few miles south of Green River:

[​IMG]

The BLM maps have all the designated singletrack, except they're hard to use! This track started out as doubletrack then faded to this.

Following the paint marks on the White Wash slickrock, much mroe entertaining than the slickrock bike trail above Moab.
    [​IMG]

After the slickrock I had trouble picking up the next section of singletrack. After awhile and I gave up and followed some very sandy doubletrack to another section of slickrock where I had lunch.

Gratuitous pic using the self timer:
    [​IMG]

Heading south again:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trail traffic:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was just before Moab. After having rode all day in temps of 90+ this was nirvana! It completely put me into a new frame of mind.

to be cont'd
  14. Rut Runner

Oddometer:
    The sun set as I ate in Moab. My plan was to ride a few miles south and crash for the night. I couldn't see much with my headlight but I did manage to get off the main trail a fair bit. Before unloading I played around with the camera:

[​IMG]

I setup camp nearby and contemplated the stars.

to be cont'd...
  15. Marc LaDue

Marc LaDue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your shakedown choices look to be more challenging than some of your desert riding. Of course there's always the temperature to consider; Colorado is much more conducive to temperate climes. Be careful out there and thanx for taking us along,

LaDue
  16. Eastbay Dirtbag

Eastbay Dirtbag one track mind

Oddometer:
    I just nominated this for Front Page Photo. :clap It was the first time I've ever nominated a photo - I was that impressed! Good luck.

Looking forward to the rest of the report.

EBDB
    v4play likes this.
  17. Truetorch

Truetorch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That photo is simply amazingly beautiful. I was in utah riding last month and what a dual sport paradise it is. I just cant get over that pic.....WOW!
  18. Rut Runner

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the positive comments on the pic.

In terms of post-processing it's an example of someone new to Lightroom 5 playing around with sliders. From what I understand post processing in astrophotography is actually quite involved.

Unfortunately that is the last night shot with that camera. The next day it bit the dust. Story to follow...
  19. bsheet2

bsheet2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a very nice pic. Keep it coming.
  20. bluestar

bluestar sheep shagger

Oddometer:
    :thumb Looking forward to the rest of the story.