Ultra gravel-traveller. RC8´ed Adv-S...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by LocuL, May 29, 2010.

1. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    As per standard slow progress. But hey i´ve bought a new(ish) notebook. Then i´m able to communicate with normal letters again. Heyhooo

Regarding the bike its still at the dealer. I have no idea if its good or bad, I assume its not good, but maybe its just KTM scandinavia or Austria whom is a bit slow in respoding. Thursday i´m back at normal workpace and will have a chat with him.

In the mean time the mailman has been here a couple of times.
    Teaser.

Peg "enhancer"
    [​IMG]

Australia??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New HID system, i can´t make it work with the original headlight assembly. Will be creative and make my own system.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks good but in my opinion i can´t make it offroad worthy. To much vibration will kill the mounting points.

[​IMG]

Heat protective selfadhesive stuff for the tanks.
    [​IMG]

Will be testing the 320mm mount. I´m still hunting the single setup.
    [​IMG]

Trying a cheap 320mm disc for start and i´ll work from there.
    [​IMG]

Loads of 300mm discs not needed anymore...
    [​IMG]

A little decorative help in the garage.
    [​IMG]

Second fan mounting stuff and ITG air filter oil.
    [​IMG]

Got the added fan wired to the original cable. Thanks Svane.
    [​IMG]

Behold the beautyness....
    [​IMG]

I´ve been trying to renovate the old standard 21/18 setup. The rear is good enough and ready to go tubeless, but the front is just super smashed up. Hmmm looking for options. Then again i´m not in a hurry as i´ve got plenty of wheels on hands. Still waiting for CJs 17/17 spacers and brake converter.
    [​IMG]

Thats it for now.
    A little look into the future.
    Beside bike need to get the ECU/immo solved, stuff needed to be done is:

1 - Safaritanks welding. I´ve got a connection which is ready to jump the tanks when needed be.

2 - The exhaust needs to be done and my contact should be ready within a week to do this.

3 - My HID conversion should also be done, but i need to build the plate where the projectors should fit in. For that I need the bike...

4 - Lots of small details i´m not aware of will also be popping up, but that is small stuff compared to what i´ve seen so far.

Denmark is bathed in the most beautyful weather right now and i´m sure the last stuff will get sorted. I may even have a bike to ride within a month or so.

I would like to thank Pete640 for being insanely kind. Story is that i he contacted me and offered the reartanks in carbon/kevlar. Thank you Peter, not only have you been very kind and most of all patient, but you build some extremely beautyful stuff. Looking forward to test these tank.

Theantipaul has provided the HDB setup in the early start of the project, but the he also shipped free of charge a schotts submount he had laying around at no charge at all. Thank you.

Svane has been the greatest help of them all. Patiently he has been showing up everytime when needed.

I fucking love this place. Advrider really is a great place to wander.

Mikael
  2. Martynho

Martynho No more Chilegringo.

Oddometer:
    Locul,

Heres my own experience of dealing with an immobiliser that shat itself, FWIW not a full solution as your hardware is different but I hope it can help you

My 2010 990R immobilizer went, and no amount of reprogramming etc would sort it. KTM were as useful as a glass hammer, and suggested I change the lot....barrel, RFID antennae, ECU, keys, fuel flaps, under seat key barrell, I didnt even ask the price. Oh, plus it meant I would get a new immobiliser ready to go belly up in Bolivia. Bollox to that

We figured the pre 2008 models had no immobiliser. So we fitted a 2007 ECU we got cheap. Then loaded up 2007 map (this wont look for an immobiliser signal, not sure if there is a RC8 model with no immo that you can do the same trick with.

We got it running, had some issues with the TPS`s so we changed those also.

Now we just used tuneECU to copy and paste the 2010 map tables into the 2007 map file, reaload back up, and bingo!

Good luck mate!
  3. Bootsy

Bootsy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Locul....those rear tanks drive me crazy!!
    :cry
  4. Fr8trn

Fr8trn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurkSubscribed. Keep up the good fight!
  5. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Well looks like the fight will be over. The dealer called me while I was at work. Told me that he had connected the ECU and the Immo. They paired up good and the bike didn´t throw any faults anymore. GREAT, but he just couldn´t get it to turn over. We debated what ever it could be. He said he absolute couldn´t do anything anymore, because of the projects scale. He could tear it down and install a complete new harness and start from there, but it would be EXPENSIVE. I said drop it, i´ll pick it up when time is. Got the bike home and Svane and i looked it through. And correct it behaved very well though nothing happened when pushing the starter. It made the startup procedure and lights where good, but no turning? We were fooking lost, I tell you gents. This is the first time i´ve been a bit dissapointed because i´ve made all the steps correct and i have taken my time at doing the stuff well. Especially the electrical pieces, which i was scared working at because of my lack of knowledge.
    Svane brought some beers and we discussed the further move. We agreed to strip the pieces one by one. We started at the starter interlock because it still threw the green "neutral" switch while we would engage the gear. hmmm... The neutral switch and sidestand switch was bought from new as i didn´t want to mess with it, like these problems. But hey, we f...king are...
    Just trying to clean up the bike and dismounted the Bazzaz unit and mounted the sidestand switch and gear selector in the original harness. Cleared some other stuff. We turned the key and the engine turned as an normal RC8R would......................................:raabia

HAHAAAHHAHA, we went insane for a couple of minutes. I don´t recall drinking 2-3-4 beers that fast ever...unholy mother of all batcave shit. I just wished my dad could have seen this. AAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhh what a feeling.

I´m sitting here the night after and trying to look into what to do.
    My initial thoughts are to dismount the bazzaz unit, but the unit lit up from the start and shouldn´t be a problem. hmmm. Would call the danish Bazzaz supplier and try get a new wiring. Regarding the manual i´ve done it right. But hey Svane says i´m good at faults :evil

I´ll keep you posted when stuff gets hairy. I´ve allready booked a holeshot contest with Svane on his KTM 505 against my Behemoth on a sandtrack.

Fuck me. I love this forum.
  6. ixab

ixab just Aaron, really Supporter

Oddometer:
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!

:freaky :clap

-- sent via mobile
  7. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    Awesome work man can't wait to hear it run.
  8. AJ990R

AJ990R motorcycle guy

Oddometer:
  9. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm so happy for you! :clap

Just a random internet stranger who doesn't even own a KTM, but I've been following along with this thread from the start, and really enjoying your cool project. :D

Cheers :freaky
  10. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Good stuff , now we want some video of the beast !!!
  11. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fedt!
  12. StevenD

StevenD Hmmmm, dirt!

Oddometer:
    AAh, so good! Cant wait for the rest of this project's photo's!

Why the bazzas btw? You can perfectly tune the stock ecu with tunecu. Or does it do autotune?
  13. roookie1

roookie1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LIKE :clap

Get those pipes made and fitted, then You can ride the fokker :pynd
  14. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:
    BOING!

Upgraded again to Fucking 'A' Man! :clap:clap:clap
  15. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Went to the shed and dismounted the Bazzaz unit complete.

Me and electrics...jeebus
    [​IMG]

Advanced mode: ON
    [​IMG]

Made my first attempt on some documentation of the work. Much more to come when i get comfortable with the video/audio editing.

[​IMG]

Took some day of from work later in the week to catch up on the project. I need this to be good inside out. I´ll start protect every cable as possible and adventurize/Starbuck´ize it. Booking some exhaust work for the week.

Out

:freaky
  16. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Nice!! That's a good sign!

I remember when I was building my first project bike I was in a rush to get to the ADV Eastern Rendezvous. Like in 2 days rush. Bike had never started in my possession and I could not get it to fire but it would turn over. Some guy, who I am still indebted to, send me a PM on an FZ1 board and ON HIS VACATION, talked me through every pinout on the ECU and we (he:lol3) methodically worked through all systems. Eventually traced it down within 20 minutes to a fault in the kill switch wiring that was depowering the coils.

Bike fired right up and never an issue since. I know you will get it running and can't wait to see your smile when that day comes. There are plenty of people who are brilliant with bike wiring harnesses, I hope you find one because it is usually something simple.
  17. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Morning OC. I´ve been mounting stuff to the bike again after Bazzaz reinstallation. I´ve tried to sleeve the cables against scrubbing and vibration. Not super happy with it but i think i came through it ok.

I had set up with the plastic welder saturday and i was very excited. It was the Safaris who needed the "cut" today.

[​IMG]

No turning back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

First we took the attack on the easy side(Left). As we could see, it was only the radiator who needed more space. It needed to go deeper.

Cut out for the deeper radiator.
    [​IMG]

He made a mockup and would try tack it and then use an extruder to finish the gaps around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the left side were done and we found it to be somewhat succesfull we attacked the difficult right side with the water/oil cooler sticking out.

[​IMG]

He started to build it up with plates(PE) and tacked them along, made some "strongpoints". It was great fun to look at.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, he worked fast.
    [​IMG]

A little phone video, not great but show the procedure.
    [​IMG]

This was before the tanks got the "dents" made. Look at the right tank, it just stick straight out.
    [​IMG]

And after the hack job. They just fall into place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks ugly as haven´t used much time for the finish, but i´m fooking stoked. They have been pressure tested and all were good. Actually the only thing to fail were the fuelpump pump area. It leaked pretty bad. How in earth could the finish be so bad from the factory(safaritanks).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those rear tanks, mein God they look nice.
    [​IMG]

More to come as the exhaust needs to been done.

Waiting for the windscreen from Rade. When it arrives we can startthe mockup for the Xenon headlight. Things are going fast now. Ohh still need the spacer kit and brake converter from CJ to mount the 17/17 complete.

Thanks for watching.

:clap
  18. jimmibanke

jimmibanke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking freaking awesome!:eek1
  19. MartinPetren

MartinPetren Swe

Oddometer:
    How many weeks/months left do you reckon? Will you make it until summer? :evil
  20. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Teasers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come...:evil