Touring on the SV650

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Ohio_Danimal, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal the only thing between want and did is do Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Ducnut...Not sure what you meant with that statement. Can you eloborate?

In a few of the recent pics I posted you'll see a 2003 Kaw ZZR1200 along side my SV650 . It was ridden by my long-time best bud and riding partner (had travelled over 60K miles together around much of the US) who passed away last August of a heart attack while he and I were preparing for a two week trip to SD and CO from Ohio. While I have other close friends I ride with, I don't know if things will ever be the same, as he was a fantastic pilot and great company to boot. As time marches on, the pang for his company does lessen, and the skill level of my other riding friends increases. I joke with them that each year I tell myself I will slow down a bit more, and that as the years pass and I slow down incrementally, they will at the same time be picking up the pace as they become better riders. Perhaps in a few years they and I will be in sync...just like the old days :clap

I'll ride with anyone that enjoys a brisk pace and hourly stops to stretch and take pics.

I have a TON more pics from years past, but it's hard to see them out there now that he is gone. Nearly all of the pictures have that big silver ZZR in them. His ZZR at the time of his death was closing in on 200,000 miles.

My SV now has close to 130,000 miles!
  2. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't have anyone to ride with that likes the type of riding I like, which is the type you do. My GF rides her SVS less and rides pillion more. While not a big deal, my Tiger is difficult in awkward situations, two up. I've been longing for a Tiger 800 Roadie and would do a trade with someone who has one and would like a 1050. I simply need a more manageable bike that I can run down any road I choose. Manageable size is one thing I like about her SVS. But, I can't deal with the legroom. A Wee is just too big, for what it is. Anyway, just wish there were someone in my area that'd like to ride whatever it is we come upon, wherever. Oh yeah, they need to be cool in a relaxed sorta' way. :lol3

I'm sorry, for your loss. I just lost a bicycling partner, a few weeks ago. He was hit by a car.

Those are big miles! :eek1
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    If it helps any, I did the following mods that helped greatly in comfort (I am a touch over 6 ft tall, 32" inseam)

When I had Corbin make my saddle, I asked for it to be made 1" taller than their "stock" SV650 configuration. This made a BIG difference. That saddle now has over 50K miles on it and just gets better and better.

Also, I had a friend machine some custom rearsets that really aren't rear-sets. They are lower and a bit further forward than stock. They also have dual sealed cartridge bearings in each pivot, so shifting is VERY slick.
    [​IMG]

He also charges a LOT less than any other aftermarket company , so it was a win/win

I also added clipons from SWATT that are 3-1/2" taller than stock, and 1" more rearward.

All this added up to more comfort on the long haul.

We still stop every hour to take a "break":freaky:clap
  4. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put Helibars and the standard SV peg mounts, on her SVS.

I suffered pretty nasty knee injuries, in '88. Highway pegs are about the only resolve. With the 1050 being so tall, I just let my legs hang, when I need a break. Looking back, I can hardly believe I was able to ride my SS to Mid-Ohio every year. My Daytona 675 was a real torture rack. I was only good for a 100mi, before having to get off the thing. However, it was an awesome track bike. I think the Tiger 800, with highway pegs, will provide about the best compromise. Though, I really love the SV650 engine. I'll figure out something.
  5. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Every off season I scheme of a way of adding highway pegs to my SV without hacking the fairing lowers (was going to install modified ST1100 flip out wings in a slot cut in the plastic)

I can often be seen on straight sections with my legs dangling down...or standing for a few minutes. That's why I usually stop every hour, get off the bike and walk around a bit :happay
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I was looking at that, too. Without lowers, there are enough holes and bolts to mount sone kind of "highway bar". Maybe, I'll search Craigslist for a local, standard SV, as it's been a long time since I sat on one. Adding an aftermarket windscreen wouldn't be much different than what the Tiger 800 offers, but, there's an offroad advantage to a 19" front wheel.

When I worked at a shop, we got in an SVS just like yours. The first thing I did was order the lowers, color-matched hugger, and seat cowl. That bike didn't last long. Seemed if a bike didn't have a full-fairing, nobody wanted it. The shop guys could never understand why a trackday nut like me was always drooling over the SV.
  7. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. gixxersteph

gixxersteph Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those are nice - look like Woodcraft. Would he make another set, but I want them further back?
    Stock feels too far forward to me, but unfortunately there isn't much room to move the pegs back as the exhaust gets in the way.
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    His "stock" set includes a mounting plate with multiple mounting holes, and are intended for the normal rearset crowd (up and back) which would work great for you.

Go to the SVrider website. The guy making them is Kevin (screen name Nucular)

If need be, PM me and I will assist in communications.
  10. dinocarsfast

dinocarsfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    The whole idea of a fixed footpeg is to protect the bike (and, in turn, possibly your leg/ankle) in a crash. The act of crashing/sliding will destroy the footpeg, but they are inexpensive to replace.

And if your fear is the peg touching down, causing the rear tire to lever off the ground and cause a lowside, my response would be to learn how to judge your lean angle better (not trying to be mean or critical) and know your machine's limits intimately.
  12. CvFactor

CvFactor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my naked I added a crash cage to which I mounted foldable highway pegs:
    [​IMG]
    It works great and allows me to stretch out my legs on long rides.

Here is a pic at Arches national park. This was part of a trip I took out west to the Grand Canyon, up through Yellow Stone and back home (5000 miles).
    [​IMG]
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Great pics!

I have seen that cage before, and considered that option, but it would require careful cutting of my lowers (or just forego the lowers altogether, but I like 'em) to get it to work and look decent.

Post moar pictures!:clap
  14. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to mention, the fixed peg allows one to use their legs to pull themselves forward, preparing for a turn. When I bought my Daytona 675, nothing was available. I shimmed the stock pegs, so they wouldn't pivot. Eventually, Woodcraft came out with an option. But, getting them was another story, in itself. Argh!

Or, in the case of rearsets, raise them for the planned activity. Of course, even then, they can be touched down.

Turn #1, at Mid-Ohio.
    [​IMG]
  15. dinocarsfast

dinocarsfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to be an asshat but I do think I know my bike very well and if I did have solid pegs lower than stock they would limit my speed in turns, I dont want that.
    If I was ok with that I might have thought about a Harley or something with lots of chrome.

But I do like the idea of a crash cage with highway pegs, maybe Im a contradiction, but I just dont want to lose my lean angle
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:

You're the one that said you were afraid. Fear is an indicator of uncertainty. I was only suggesting you try to feel more certain or sure of your cornering limits.

And your Harley analogy is hardly fitting, and the statement itself is silly, if you think my setup is even remotely similar to a Harley, or my lower fixed pegs limiting my "speed" in corners. All things being equal (actual peg location the same, one fixed and one folding), I would imagine you're not flying through turns scraping your folding pegs all the time.

To each his own I guess....as the topic was about lowering pegs, which everyone knows decreases lean angle.
  17. dinocarsfast

dinocarsfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems as though I am being misunderstood. I hope nobody is getting offended, but anyway this seems to be a picture thread so here is my setup for foot-pegs since I am very tall.

[​IMG]

I dont really like it and plan to make my own setup, along with a lot of other ideas, when I am finally able to get a TIG welder.
    I mostly commute now and it works fine for that
  18. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    I put the buell pegs on mine and like it. It looks like you added a bracket that drops your bracket and moves it back? I suppose that would be nice but it looks like it kicks the pegs out quite aways, which I guess would make it hard to shift. How tall is very tall?
  19. dinocarsfast

dinocarsfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I never even noticed any shifting problems because of the angle but when I put the bracket(http://www.svracingparts.com/product...006&id=3103869) on the linkage was hitting the sidestand little lever thing and it just needed to be bent a little, also the exhaust was hitting on the other side but that was easy to fix too.

Im over 7' and the stock bars have been fine for me along with the taller suzuki gel seat
  20. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Therein lies your problem.

The SV is too small for someone of your stature. Period.

And your footpeg assembly does look awkward with the angle to the shift lever. Looks like your foot should be on the hingle/plate.

You need a tall bike my friend.:freaky