Duty

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by mikegc, Jul 29, 2011.

1. tasmith5

tasmith5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like many others, I just stumbled on this most excellent thread! Thank you Mike for sharing such an inspiring story! (The pictures are great as well!) Having served 20 years in uniform, your story gave me cause to reflect on my own experience, the lands I visited, and the many friendships that were made during that time.
    Thank you for your service!

Tim
    I CORPS Artillery
    jorrie likes this.
  2. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Thank you, Tim & Kitesurfer! I appreciate you guys taking the time to read the ride report.

Mike
  3. phoneman

phoneman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent read on friendship and honor among those friends. Thanks for sharing.
  4. jblausey

jblausey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike,

I had a moment to look at ADV today and found this. A gem of a RR and such a touching story as well. Saw you are in Norther CA. If you are still in the area I would love to offer you a cold beverage and a place to stay if you need one.

Thank you for your story and your service.

Cheers,

John
  5. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I wasn't even born when you met Mike, but this still brought a tear to my eye.

Thank you for everything you have done for the cause of freedom, Sir.
  6. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thank you, John, for your kind comments. I was in northern CA a little over three weeks ago but am back home in NC. I was very close to Petaluma, spending a couple of nights in Greenbrae before moving on. The next time I'm out there, probably next spring, I'll shoot you a PM and take you up on that cold beverage. I sure could have used it the other day . . . it was 106°!

Mike<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  7. luni

luni Non-artic explorer

Oddometer:
    In the last year or so I got a sudden desire to track down people I had served with in the Big Red One. I didn't know exactly why but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of those people being a memory from something I did once. Lucky for me Facebook made it easy. You articulated what I couldn't. Even serving with other combat veterans on a daily basis only those men have the shared experience of where we were and what we did. Thank you for your service.

OIF 2007-2008 Baghdad Troop Surge (I'm on the right)
    [​IMG]

Now I have the privilege of leading my own soldiers and I'll be damned if I don't see a familiar looking PFC in a few of them. I can only hope I have the same impact my leaders had on me.

Wearing an All American patch now I'll be at Green Ramp to welcome back the Golden Brigade next week.
    motocopter, CavReconSGT and weldpro like this.
  8. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Well, Herb, you brought a smile this this old soldier. Many thanks for taking time to read my year-old post. I served a long time ago and the experience sure gave me an appreciation for those who paved the way for me. Also, hardly a day goes by that I don't think about those serving now. It's nice to know "they have our backs."

Mike
  9. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Wow, Luni, what a great photo! I totally understand your desire to reconnect with your Big Red One buddies! When you go through "the insanity," you never forget those guys who helped you get home. There's a connection there that will never be broken.

The 82nd is a fine division with a rich heritage. Your time as a grunt will be invaluable now that you're privileged to lead. The fact that you realize what your leaders did for you will be apparent to those you lead. I believe, sir, you'll be an officer of worth. "No mission too difficult, no sacrifice too great, Duty First" will go well with "All the Way."

My most humble thanks for your service, sir. Take care of your soldiers and yourself.

Mike
    Wierdrider likes this.
  10. biometrics

biometrics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just found this thread... and I am awed. WELCOME HOME and thank you for your service, and for sharing this story... Thanks to ALL who serve and who have served.

from a brother in arms...

-John
    U.S. Army (Retired) October,1967- February,1988
  11. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thank you, John, first for staying at your post for over 20 years and guarding while we slept. Next, thanks for reading my thread and contacting me. Initially, I received several PMs and e-mail from service members and, of late, I've gotten more. Its very gratifying and I'm honored.

Salute, sir!

Mike
  12. 1200gsceej

1200gsceej wanabee overachiever

Oddometer:
    That is almost exactly what I've told my kids and others when they ask me about my time. Including the odd sort of look. I never thought how universal that feeling might be until now ...
    -ceej
  13. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Old soldiers, Ceej . . . old soldiers. Welcome home.

Mike
  14. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    Nice RR.

3rd 17th Air Cav
    65- 68 Viet Nam 67-68
    ATC Cu Chi, Dian Viet Nam

We had some great pilots, my favorite was WO Moreno, promoted to 1st Lt, then Captain before I left. He flew C and H models, then the Cobra when it came over. I flew door gunner with him on the "H" when delivering mail in the field.
  15. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Thank you so much for your service they did not support our troops back then like they do now.......................I never knew why:huh
    klaviator likes this.
  16. Kevinsterner

Kevinsterner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    God bless you and God bless the Big red One
    thanks for sharing
  17. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Llamapacker, we were in the same area but at different times. I worked out of Lai Khe until February of '70 and moved down Hwy 13 to Dian. Jeez, what a lousy place that was!

Welcome home, bud,

Mike
  18. mikegc

Oddometer:
    I'm honored by your comments, sir. Thank you, Kevin.

Mike
  19. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great story with a deep since of pride stired up in all vets that read this ride report. I served three tours in VN.
    A Pathfinder team leader in the 1St Cav 1965-66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Company commander 1/506 101 st Airborne 1967-68
    [​IMG]

CCS 5th SFGA Launch officer 1969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This year at FT Benning, GA with three guys I served with two of them retired as CSM's and the third got after after his tour. I enlisted in 1962 and retired in 1996 as a BG.
    [​IMG]

I am the one on the right with three fingers. ( long story)

[​IMG]

Last I was riding in NC ( tail of the dragon) and stopped to see CSM Tommy Shook. I wanted to visit him prior to his return to iraq as a security contractor. Tommy is 70 and is in his 8th year in Iraq. He is tougher than woodpecker lips. Tommy and I served in 1966 in the pathfinder team.
    [​IMG]

It seems like there are a lot of vets on this site.

Thank you for your service.
  20. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great story with a deep since of pride stired up in all vets that read this ride report. I served three tours in VN.
    A Pathfinder team leader in the 1St Cav 1965-66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Company commander 1/506 101 st Airborne 1967-68
    [​IMG]

CCS 5th SFGA Launch officer 1969

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This year at FT Benning, GA with three guys I served with two of them retired as CSM's and the third got after after his tour. I enlisted in 1962 and retired in 1996 as a BG.
    [​IMG]

I am the one on the right with three fingers. ( long story)

[​IMG]

Last I was riding in NC ( tail of the dragon) and stopped to see CSM Tommy Shook. I wanted to visit him prior to his return to iraq as a security contractor. Tommy is 70 and is in his 8th year in Iraq. He is tougher than woodpecker lips. Tommy and I served in 1966 in the pathfinder team.
    [​IMG]

It seems like there are a lot of vets on this site.

Thank you for your service.
    JimVonBaden and weldpro like this.