V649HP-Kawasaki's new gravel runner

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jdrocks, Dec 13, 2010.

1. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    besides a slightly different design to accomodate a different seat and afford a different riding posture, i mentioned that the Versys lacked a small tubular cross brace found on the 650R subframe. the Versys also uses a strut to connect the subframe to the front footpeg mount. i speculated on whether the strut was just decoration, or something else. certainly many Versys owners have removed these struts, especially if the don't carry passengers. i wasn't aware of any reported problems with this subframe until ednukey reported in.

ednukey is an experienced rider and had his Versys on a big loop up through northwest canuckistan and alaska in 2010. here's what he had to say...

"I haven't had any problems running the bike without the trellis braces around town - I have been rolling without pretty much since I got the bike, using a rather loaded topcase and backpack. However, on my trip this past summer, at one point, all six of the bolts holding the two trellis braces vibrated loose (yes, they were loctited). And, I can say that the the subframe flexed very noticeably with my full load of gear and me, under any conditions that actuated the rear suspension. A squeak resulting from this flexing is how the loosened bolts came to my attention. Worth noting - I was carrying about 100 lbs of gear; and, it is also worth noting that I'm not a heavyweight - I weigh in at around 180 lbs with my gear on."

i've had much more weight on my 650R framed bikes without a problem. i'm going to have to take a good look at this.
  2. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    2008 SV650 three spoke wheel on the rear...

[​IMG]

i had been running the 650R/Versys rear wheel, nice to have matching three spokes now.
  3. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Lookin' good!!! Hope to se it up north next year.
  4. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    be watchin' for it, just might be there.
  5. tragerbon

tragerbon 2019 KLX 250

Oddometer:
    Mad Max lives !!!

That is one sweet bike, keep up the good work.
    I am wondering when the new fork sleeves (spacers) will be on sale ?
  6. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    for sure. parts from Versys, Ninja 650R, DRZ, DL1000, DL650, SV650, and KLR...so far.

the sleeves are easy.
  7. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok So how hard will it be for me to put the Suk rear on my V. It's narrower corect?
  8. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    easy for you, if i remember you do your own machine work. just a bunch of spacers and screwing around. rotor is the same diameter. order a 520 sprocket. stock is 45T and would work just fine. wheel needs to be 2nd generation SV for the 20mm axle.

you can see from the photo that your Versys would look better with a rear matched to your DL1000 front.

you still riding your GS north this season?
  9. sieg

Oddometer:
    I've got access to a magnetic table surface grinder so I can make a 530 sprocket into a 520. I made a # 50 US sprocket in to a 520 once. Is the wheel narrower? Is the wheel center line to sprocket center line the same? Really like the way you share your knowledge. You take all the guess work out of it for us copy cats! If you go through Southern IL. or STL MO. let me know, I'll buy you lunch.
    Yes, My wife and I are leaving from STL MO. on June 17th. heading for Prudhoe Bay with the Beemer's. The V will stay behind unless my son can join us, he will take it as his RC51 ain't cut out for that ride. Thanks jdrocks.
  10. badguy

badguy Susan

Oddometer:
    Looks mean :evil I'm glad the wheel worked out and can't wait to see the bike finished up.
  11. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    when i said "easy for you", that's kinda what i meant. i'll do a little write up when i get a chance. i'm in the middle of moving the 649HP motor and related junk over to the Versys frame. thanks for the lunch offer. ya never know, might get there.

you'll have a great trip on your run north. PM me if you're interested in a little route info on a section of road you might not have thought about.
  12. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks for stepping up with the info. guys like you make these things easier to put together.
  13. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    JD,

You Rock.

:lurk

Waiting to see how this plays out...
  14. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    You guys heading up to Alaska, let me know if you stop by eastern MT, it be great to meet up and do lunch. :freaky

David
  15. siyeh

siyeh unproductive Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another great build thread JD. You rock. My son and I leave Wisconsin June 17th. Hope to meet you upnort on some "big gravel".
  16. sieg

Oddometer:
    Sorry, coming home may touch western MT,(Yellowstone) going up through eastern ND. But plans can change, I'll let you know.
  17. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    thanks. speaking of Rock, how 'bout some from your home territory.

[​IMG]
  18. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    better yet, why not tag along for a thousand miles. i'll limp along behind that GS.
  19. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    might see you up there. i'm an ex cheesehead, still speak the language some.

you on the versys, what's your son riding?
  20. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    you must like bad roads, high fuel, expensive everything...and popo running radar every 20km to make sure you don't exceed 100km/h. been there. better transit routes available.