XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ReferJohn

ReferJohn 4th Gear pinned> you'll make it

Oddometer:
    I use photobucket
  2. ReferJohn

Oddometer:
  3. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Check your compression.
  4. ReferJohn

Oddometer:
    What's your mileage and like Jeremy said check your compression.....Btw there is a compression gauge on this thread for sale RIGHT NOW

OH, just saw your mileage in your sig----better off checking your compression
  5. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Went to kick the XRL over today and noticed that the damned kickstarter stroked right through with hardly any effort. I wonder if my compression is bad. What to do....:lol3
    Guess I'll have to sell the damned thing.:wink: Perhaps someone in Texas wants a used XR with no compression.:evil:D
  6. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What weight oil are you running? When its colder the oil is thicker, which creates more drag on the clutch at stops with the clutch lever in until the oil warms up. If you're running 20/50 I'd switch to 10/40 for the winter months.

You could also try and adjust your mixture screw, or go up a couple sizes on your pilot jet, that will help cold starts and warm up time alot. I'm running 58/155 jets with Daves mods at 5000ft up, and my bike starts and idles awesome in all temps, with very little choke needed, and has crisp, instant off idle throttle response.
  7. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    I'm running 15-40 oil. My jets should be good. Might richen the mixture a little. My clutch needs replacing, which is happening next month.
  8. RZRob

RZRob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think my suspension needs adjusting. Does anyone know where I can buy a compression gauge?

And I know I can only carry a few tools and spares in my tool kit so I've decided I'm going to give up the spark plug wrench for the compression gauge.

Either that, or does someone just make a dash mount kit for a compression gauge? I want to add this and a water pressure gauge. I wanna look really smart.

RZ Rob
  9. dynex619

dynex619 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all. New to the forum and bikes didn't know where to put this really.

I just picked up a old 1986 Honda XR250 for $600 bucks. It runs pretty good, but has some problems with it. Also I have no idea to tell whether its the XLR or XR250R... so I don't know what parts to buy..

When it's a cold start it will turn over great in a couple kicks with no choke and I can run it for a good time, but for some reason when I'll downshift and just hold the clutch it it will die randomly. Then if I slam on the gas pass 3/4 throttle it will bog or die and then when trying to start the bike back up it just won't live again...

So far I have checked oils- all good.
    Flushed carb and cleaned it.
    Flushed out old gas and cleaned tank and put in new one.
    Took off K7N air filter and replaced with a good foam one.
    Ran a little bit of seafoam through it for good measure.

Also I noticed the back tire keeps coming off, how do you tell if the wheel went bad, or if it's the tire? It is missing some parts that I guess the PO took off..

Thanks all, enjoy the pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll keep this thread updated, just trying to get her road worthy again!
  10. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know my wifes really been wanting a compression gauge lately for some odd reason....anybody know where I can get one?
  11. XR BADGER

XR BADGER Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :hair ok wt. now have photo Puckett, but I don't see a button on the forum here to upload the pics , I'm sure it is right in front of me, but where?:ear
  12. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me say that my FMF Q, while making a difference, was the worst bang-for-the-buck mod I did in the early stages of tweaking my bike. The stock exhaust just isn't a huge limiting for the stock motor. It also isn't that much lighter, like barley any. Save your cash, mod your stock pipe, get a 600R exhaust,and buy a CW cam, piston or CCW combustion chamber. I know people love exhausts, but in my experience the dividends were small for the investment with this bike.
  13. Lane_N

Lane_N Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    I have a line on a non-running '89 XR600R that has a good bottom end. I'm thinking about grabbing it for the kickstarter and trans. Has anyone swapped the 1-2 gears from the XR600 into the XR650? I thought I read that ThumpnRed had done this to his XRL? How is that going to compare performance wise with the NX650 2nd? I really want to get rid of that 1-2 gap.

Any feedback from you guys that have put the NX 5th gear in? Is this worth doing? I have no issue commuting the 50mile roundtrip to work on my bike as is (I run 15-48 sprockets on the street and cruising at 70-75 mph is no problem), but if I'm splitting cases and this is a worthwhile upgrade I think I'll try to do this one too.
  14. mendoteach

mendoteach Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe the R has a an even lower first! That will make the gap bigger! I have the NX 2nd and Euro 5th. Not sure a stock bike will pull the fifth well unless overall gearing is pretty short. It's the equivalent of making the stock fifth a counter shaft sprocket taller, or three in the rear sprocket. Pretty tall. A good solution though for people who like billy goat trail gearing to be able to run on the freeway, or for people with modded bikes to be able to cruise at lower RPMs.
  15. Lane_N

Lane_N Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Mendo,

I looked on Gearing Commander and it looks like the XR600 has a 2.38 1st gear vs the 2.66 XRL 1st. Both XR600 and XR650L have 1.64 2nd gear ratios. I'm thinking that the NX 2nd at 1.75 would actually create a bigger step between 1-2 then the XR600 1-2? You would have to give up a little bit of that wonderful tractor 1st gear that the XRL has going the XR600 1st gear route. Wondering out loud here is all. Anyone else tried something like this?
  16. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    One of my favorite vendors is coming east. About an hour and a half away. Kentucky is a hotbed of ATV activity. Lots of old strip mines have been turned into off road parks in the eastern part of the state. Always good to have somewhere to put your hands on items before buying them.
    [​IMG]

John
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

My tool box. Compression tester and a leak down tester. You can borrow them or bring your bike to me and we'll check it over.
  19. JWhitmore44

JWhitmore44 pistolero

Oddometer:
    When you are viewing the picture in photobucket you should see a box on the right hand side of the screen labeled "Links". I that list of links the last one will say "image code". Click on the contents of the box labeled image code and it will copy it to the clipboard on the computer. Then edit a response and paste the link into the edit box. Click the "preview post" to see what your post will look like.
  20. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    It works... I did do it. You have to pick and chose the gears to use as one of the XRR gears has fewer engagement dogs on it than the XRL (cant remember which), but the XRR first does swap in. When you run the ratios, you will find that you have a very linear transition from gear to gear throughout the box once you swap in the XRR first. It does make your first gear taller though. I run 14/48 sprockets to make first gear trail worthy. Now.... the bad part. Running 14/48 kills your top end. My bike will run at 75, but it's not a happy place:eek1. Not a huge deal for me though as I dont care for riding it on the highway anyway.