Triumph Scrambler

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by danger_dave, May 29, 2006.

1. wildjester

wildjester Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its all good.
    FYI- exclaimation marks (!) mean yelling or excitement.

Being on reserve would in fact make your bike stop running if you ran out of gas.
    He said he filled his tank, then rode a few miles and it stopped running.
    If the tank was full, but it was still running on reserve then...
    oh fuck it never mind.

2. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.
  3. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    Well...I have an '06 Scrambler that I'm sellin to my son. I'm considering either buying a used black EFI Scrambler or a new matte gray one with Arrow already installed. My question is this: How may of you ride the Scrambler as your only bike? I also have an '09 Tiger that I'm consdering trading in. The Tiger does just about everything but not so great on dirt roads. I mainly ride backroads paved & dirt with a couple longer trips each year. Not sure if Scrambler will do it all? Any feedback?
  4. xaman

xaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride a scrambler as an only bike (there's a Tw200 in the garage, but it belongs to the Mrs.). One of these days 'll convince her to sell the TW that she rarely rides, and I'll have space for 2 bikes again. In the meantime, for a one bike scenario, it's really hard to beat the Scrambler for the riding you describe. My riding is around town errands, 1-200 mile weekend jaunts, and lots of county/gravel/forest service roads.

You'll miss the Tiger on the longer trips, but it sounds like that's not very often. Occasionally I'll take a longish trip, and the lack of wind protection starts to bother me at high speeds. So then I begin to lust after a Tiger 800 to replace the Scrambler. The 800 is way more bike (and more money) but eventually I come back to my senses. I'm just not ready to give up the admittedly hard to quantify "style" enjoyment of the Scrambler. It's more fun to look at, tinker with, and customize. And the lower seat height is a little easier to live with around town. It's also just a little more fun to ride in the sub 80 mph range.

Good luck. Honestly, I think it sounds like an awesome plan for Father and Son Scramblers! I certainly wish I could get my dad off his 1300cc cruiser. 2 scramblers could have some serious fun exploring together. Good luck.
  5. gseur

gseur Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Scram is my only bike.
    Before I've had an old R80 Beemer. With it we've made a lot of travel, my wife and me, with luggages.
    Wind protection doesn't bother me as we rode on little roads, between 80 & 100 km/h.
    Same with the Scram, it fits us perfect.
  6. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    Firstly, I owned a Scram for 2 years and 15000 miles between 2009~2011. I got it dirty loaded up...
    [​IMG]

And then washed it...
    [​IMG]

And let it dry...
    [​IMG]

It will do it all but not in any sort of comfort IMO. I found it beat me to death every ride because of its short suspension. I traded for a Tiger800XC in June 2011 and it's so, SO much better at everything. So, at the risk of upsetting the hardened Scram owners, you need to trade the Scram and your current Tiger and get the 800XC. It really does do it all. It copes with this sort of stuff...
    [​IMG]

Even with luggage...
    [​IMG]

And do 400+ mile days in comfort.
  7. Scaredofthedirt

Scaredofthedirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or you could keep the Scarmbler AND buy a 800XC, works for me :clap:clap:clap
    TriumphRTO likes this.
  8. satcen

satcen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome Tiger, it´s nice to have you back. You´ve missed one thing: XC 800 looks like a 21st century UFO, not like H.M. MOTORCYCLE :D ... but I agree with all you mentioned. On the other hand - adding comfort, weather protection, suspension, load, speed ... you loose great part of "scramblering". TIGER 800 is great consumer product, Scrambler is not. It is too "radical" for it. Two different conceptions for different audience. I like both of them but I want just the ONE.
  9. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amigo you miss my first post, BUT you answer it PLENTY!!! I was worry about the exhaust been to close to my legs and my passenger's. I do not intend to go to Alaska on it, just a 200-300 mile day ride 2-4 a year 2 up, and rides every other Sunday solo. I have seen the OEM accesories and they have all I want or need.

Were I live is not very hot and 30 C is top temperature for a summer day, but I don't ride much in traffic since my work involves a little hwy, so it would be good even then.

Thanks to all!!

Damasovi
  10. DoubleCafe

DoubleCafe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an 06 Scrambler along with a GS and a few other bikes. But I could and would always choose the Scrambler as my only bike. On weekend rides I generally go to the Scrambler even if I'm riding with a fast mountain road group, it's just so much more fun and effortless to ride for me.
  11. Bugchewer

Bugchewer Piece of Work

Oddometer:
    WNY hills of Wyoming County, maple syrup & cheese!
    Thanks for all the great comments...now I have to wheel & deal. If I put something together I'll post a pic of my new ride. Otherwise I'm keeping the 06 Scrambler and going bike hunting with my son when he comes home on leave. Either way it will be fun. Still have some riding to do here in Upstate NY. The info you all gave was priceless. We all have different preferences for sure. The Scrambler ALWAYS puts a smile on our faces though it seems.
  12. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Two great viewpoints. And I suppose it depends on how YOU want to LOOK.
    You are gonna look tired :D everytime after a weekend (or more) of living the 'adv life' on a Scrambler. You pay to look so Steve McQueen cool. But you do look cool. :1drink

The Triumph XC, a beemer or a KTM will take you farther back in, quicker, easier, more comfortable all while carrying more gear.
    And really you will look more like a true adventurer than trying to pull it off on your Scrambler.
    But sure you can do it. Some say what a breeze it is. I did for a while.
    If you do, relax! Take your time and tell your buddies to wait at the Y's in the road. :D
    Try to remember to stand on the bump you hit, and then bottom out, which will jamb your spine up to your ears...:huh Ask me how I know.
    I have gone to motel style travel (or staying at friends) on my Scrambler. Using a tank & light tail bag. I keep it to fire roads or logging roads and twisties!
    Its much better at that.

With that said I have been to some cool places on the Scrambler.
    Its a decent bike to relax and enjoy a good ride - a modern classic. And easy to dress up in your style.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMO it travels best like this... light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But if you like it, just go for it!

Sorry for the same old pictures... :zilla
  13. henryII

henryII Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well concluded :clap
    I have today a Scrambler and a Explorer. I have done about 50 000 km on the classic series, halv off them on a Thruxton and the rest on the Scrambler. Between this two the Scrambler is more fun in my opinion. The Explorer
    is not the Cool Mcqueen biker choice but it will open for longer distance than the Scrambler. The next season will
    be a test of bike and man down to the alps and up the eastern Europa, before a planned Africa trip in 2014.

The Scrambler smash the Explorer or XC when it comes to good looking. It is just how a motorcycle should look in my eyes, but I am getting to old to get beat up on my next 50000 km :-) I will not use the Scramb on longer trips due to that and agree with Max that it deserve a small bag and twisty roads.

Here is a pic from last summer, today the temp outside is -13 celsius and no riding for a while .

[​IMG]
  14. kiwicaveman

kiwicaveman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love the XC 800 but it just hasn't got the feel of the scrambler,had mine for 3 yrs gone anywheremy mates dirt squirts have gone just a little bit slower.
  15. kiwicaveman

kiwicaveman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wish I could work out how to post picsread this whole thread and love your pics Max:bow
  16. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    Thanks kiwiman. :D
    Many good pics & videos in this fine Scrambler thread. Hats off to all present & past. :thumb

For posting pics just set up a free Photobucket account, add some pics to it then click and copy an image and paste into your post here.
    Lets see what you got!
  17. specnoodle

specnoodle n00b

Oddometer:

Heyy i could somebody lend a hand and tell me what handguards are on this bike?? :ear
  18. soundcc

soundcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    please, anywhere (on two wheels), but not here
    After chasing fueling and reaching a dead end, I am now headed to spark.
    As in there is no spark.
    Upon endless surfing and drowning I believe my problems are in the coil pickup arena.
    I have current to the coils when testing the ignition on. I believe that there must be a signal sent to the coils from the crank. Should I check the Pickup coil first or should I be looking at another electrical componant.
    Can someone tell me what I should be looking for while bike is cranking over at the coils.
  19. wiseanhyzer

wiseanhyzer Long timer

Oddometer:

They're Zeta Racing handguards (straight) with Moose Racing Contour Deflector shields. I'm using them on aftermarket handlebars (Pro-Taper ATV mid SE) though. You'd have to get a little creative with the bar end to use them on the factory handlebars.

The Moose shields are great for cold weather riding. They keep a good bit of wind off your hands.
  20. ChuBrocka

ChuBrocka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like we've had some similar headaches.:kboom The thread below relates to spark problems I had early this season. It may help you a little.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781512