BMW F800 R - the Rotax Roadster Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Lost Roadie, Feb 19, 2011.

1. flkovacs

flkovacs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so, please remind me what you had put in?
    tx,
    ferenc
  2. EmanP

EmanP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I didn't include that earlier. They guy knew what to do and had his preferences of parts/manufacturers since he does all the racers here in the PNW. We're pretty lucky out here since we've got an awesome suspension shop and dyno shop that everyone goes to. I'm sure you've got your own as well so you just need to figure out who they are. If you find the local forum for your area that handles riding and racing, they'll have all that info on there probably under a sponsor heading or some such thing. Our guys out here are Fluid Suspension Science and Brian is the guy that did the work for me. Our forums PNWRiders if you want something to look at.

He used RaceTech springs (the particular ones you use must be tuned to your weight, I think mine were .91's if I remember), Race Tech Fork Emulators (FEGV S4301 if you want to know specifics) and AMS20 oil. It was very close to what the guy did in this thread http://f800riders.org/forum/showthr...gs-and-Gold-Valve-cartridge-fork-Emulator-mod with heavier oil, springs matched to my weight and not raising the forks on reinstilation nearly as much as they did in the thread but we did raise them some for better/quicker response on turn in. 2 hour job and he said it was easy on this specific bike because how old fashioned the forks were. I noticed the difference right away when I took it for a test ride and on the way home (the guys almost 2 hours away and it was 40 - 50 degrees today) although I couldn't get too crazy because of the cold and wet (did I mention I'm in Seattle?). Didn't bottom out instantly like stock and I can brake MUCH more aggressively without losing front end feel/response. He predicted as much as 10 seconds off my lap times. Come summer, I'll be putting that to the test.

He also predicted that I'll probably notice that my rear sucks now which is something I might not have noticed before because the front was soo bad. He actually said it wasn't that bad, but it's definitely not the best and the only way to fix it is to replace it completely with a Progressive which was his preference in brands. But depending on how much money I'm willing to invest in it (what I do for a living that is), might not be worth it for me and what I'm planning on doing since it'll probably be about 1K. I'm not a doctor or lawyer so I don't know that the rear will be getting replaced anytime soon if at all.

Either way, get that front end redone. Suspension is always the first thing you fix right? For me it was the last but I crashed my bike and lost it for 8 weeks mid summer so I had to wait.
  3. flkovacs

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the details. Yes, Progressive I spoke with last year about the '11 I had, but noticed some folks are using a 'Wilbur' product. You are right, I installed a similar Progressive solution on my old VX800 and it fixed the front, but brought to light the limited rear. It is one of the two reasons the VX800 is no longer my main ride.

I will contract Progressive later this week and see what they can do.

Thanks, and sorry to hear about your crash - anything to do with the front end dive? Glad to see you and your bike are together with you in the saddle again,
    Ferenc
  4. EmanP

EmanP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was the rear the slipped out and then caught that caused my issue although that particular track didn't do well with my constantly bottoming out front since it was nothing but tight, fast, technical turns with lots of elevation difference on half the turns.
  5. flkovacs

Oddometer:
    ouch, sounds like a recipe for high-siding.
    suspension is more important than many people realize or appreciate, and having the front and rear 'balanced' wrt to each other is critical.
    ferenc
  6. EmanP

EmanP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I screwed up. It wasn't a Progressive rear he suggesed but a Penske rear shock. And I did highside.
  7. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I thought that he'd have recommended a higher end shock than Progressive. Penske is excellent. When I go to update my F8, my list includes Penske, Elka, Wilbers, Hyperpro, and Ohlins. They're all going to be close, cost wise, so it comes down (for me) to the service from the seller. I'm going to save up to do both ends at once, probably next winter.
  8. flkovacs

Oddometer:
    so, is the general consensus to go with the progressive emulators on the front?
    i emailed progressive and they said they had nothin' for the f800r,
    feren
  9. EmanP

EmanP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No I screwed up, I was thinking insurance company. Progressive doesn't really make good shocks/springs. I've seen RaceTech used on the front of these bikes 3 separate times now.
  10. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    I've used RaceTech springs and gold valve emulators in a couple of my bikes previously and will be the route I'll take if I decide to keep my bike next year, of which there's a very good chance, still riding and enjoying it. :D
  11. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Traxxion Dynamics has a version of the replacement valve stack (like the Emulators). Kyle Racing is in CA, and may be a suspension service center as well. I know they're a big Ohlins dealer.
  12. EmanP

EmanP Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would love to hear more about this bike from actual owners, anybody out there? Especially the 2012-13 version, but any really. I have been back and forth between this and another 800GS. But for some reason this one has me hot and bothered.

Looking specifically for how you like it? What bike you came off of?
    What don't you like. Accessories that work or don't work. I would go the factory bags myself.

Any Medium distance touring. I don't mind touring on an unfaired bike. I put 11,000 miles on a R12R last summer. 7,000 of it on one trip. Only missed the fairing on one day.

I may try to snatch a demo tomorrow from Max, since I'll be in Albany for business anyway. But being it is supposed to only be a high of twenty, I'm not sure how that will go.

Thanks for your help with this.
  15. amycyclenut

amycyclenut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out this site: http://f800riders.org/forum/forumdisplay.php/123-F800R-Discussion

I own one, bought it this fall so I don't have a lot of miles on it. I'm only 5'4" so the pull backs are a must for me for comfort. Sometimes being short sucks! I came off an F650GS and did a free one day off road clinic here in Denver (through Rawhide Adv) on it. Did just fine, but even with the bars rotated up, it wasn't high enough to be comfortable standing.

If I remember right this tread had loads of pics of a lady taking hers on dirt roads and such.
  16. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    If you go back to the earlier posts you'll find a ton of discussion and pics of things you can do to this bike. There are limited manufacturers for aftermarket parts but that has all been discussed earlier. I have used mine for touring and it's quite enjoyable. The one thing you'll notice is that it's a bit crampy because the pegs are comparatively high. I'm 5'8" and I notice it. A 6 footer might find it uncomfortable.

I posted some pics of things I added starting at post #367.
  17. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Folks,

Actually, I read this thread cover to cover. I have been following it since it's inception when Joe unveiled their bike.
    I always enjoy his straight forward style and excellent photography.

That being said, I have recently developed more of an interest in actually owning one. Hence the request for more info.

I am and have been a member on the F800 Riders forum since I bought an ST years back and have posted a similar question over there as well.

It seems the bike has failed to catch on here in the states. But it seems to be doing well elsewhere. That being said there does seem to be a core group of rider that have discovered the 800R's attributes and appear to be enjoying it.
  18. Joe Bar

Joe Bar Middle England

Oddometer:
    The 800R hasn't sold well in the UK either, which makes the bikes a bit of a bargain on the used market. :D But, I also had a R1150R which was also a bit of an unloved bike in the BMW range. The reality is that for road riding both these bikes offer more than their more glamourous siblings in the GS range.
    I see it as "being scene but not herd". :evil
  19. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like that, and know what you mean about the scene,

I'm not entirely new the the path of the Roadster.

[​IMG]
  20. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    Interesting, they are so scarce in my area I sold mine for what a new one could have been purchased for, if you could find one...

Had some goodies bolted on but you guys know that never counts.