no more school, no more books, no more teacher's dirty looks - Mexico!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by missadventure, Dec 30, 2012.

1. missadventure

missadventure n00bie d00bie d00

Oddometer:
    :happay ok. this is NOT the tale of an Extreme Adventure, so you should only read this if you are bored at work or you already know me and am wondering why I haven't called .

so I have three weeks off school ( I'm the teacher - and probably even happier for a break than my students) and just bought a new (to me) r1100gs, so why not go for a ride? riding north this time of year doesnt appeal, so why not go to Mexico?

I didn't bring a laptop, so until I get back you will have to suffer with pix from the cell phone.

I hardly took any photos the first five days because I was hell bent for leather to get to someplace warm by the beach - I did 2, 000 miles in 5 days- not recommended in winter, doh! and 300 miles of it was backtracking - oops.
  2. missadventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

here's my new baby. I'm calling her The Road Sofa because she's all comfort on wheels. I haven't had a bike with a faring since my first bike, a Kawasaki Vulcan, 20 years ago. this thing flys! it wants to do 80mph all day long!

in Arizona I ran into another advrider whose name I didn't get (bummer) who had installed this cool luggage system on his dirt bike
    [​IMG]
  3. missadventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

it was cold! the window washer fluid was frozen - brrrr!

I rode through Palmdale in an effort to avoid LA - it took three hours to go 100 miles.
  4. missadventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

my secret Santa gave me this way cool tea mug. I wanted to bring it on the trip but was afraid for its fate - so I fixed up my travel mug.

[​IMG]
  5. missadventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I was knackered after riding all day - too tired to go out. so on the way down dinner came from the vendors down the hall.
  6. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep posting !
  7. missadventure

Oddometer:
    :clap gracias! yo voy :clap
  8. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great start, here. You already have the obligatory food photo. Now the question will be whether you went down Baja or mainland and if you went down Baja did you cross paths with Lightcycle aka Gene and Neda? Looking forward to this one! :D
  9. missadventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

by now my friends are starting to give me a hard time. as in where the heck are you and are you really in Mexico?

I like that the trash can on the left says agua ( water) why do you need a trash can to pour out your water?

did you notice the camp in the background?
    [​IMG]

does anyone know who is living there on the side of the toll road?

anyways, about that detour. I came into Mexico in sonoyta with about an hour of daylight. they waved me through and didn't ask for my papers. I wanted to get away from the border before dark so I blasted down to caborca (100 mikes away) where only then did I realize I hadn't gotten a visa or registered my bike. doh! so in the morning I did a 200 miles round trip to take care of that. I was also getting Mexican driving lessons - like it's cool to pass in the same lane and all manner of silliness.
  10. missadventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

one of my best girlfriends is a mechanic and owns her own shop. she made me promise to check my oil every day. I didn't want to admit that of the two times I had managed to centerstand le beast, once I dropped it. but somehow after white knuckling it all day it's a lot easier to heft the Road Sofa! look! oil!

I know no one here shares my excitement. lol. but for me this is a major win!
  11. missadventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Xmas day! I'm happy to report that the Pemex stations are open!
    I Love the Pemex stations - it's like the old days when they fill up your tank for you!
    Magna Lena, por favor!

[​IMG]
    mazatlan! so far it's been hotels and freeway. and I have been here too long just walking, swimming, reading , and eating.
    heading back north on new years. might take the ferry to Baja - hoping to get in some camping on the beach there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

racing oil!
    [​IMG]

squid!

[​IMG]

yum!
    [​IMG]
  12. missadventure

Oddometer:
    :clap thanks! I stopped in lebec, ca. buckeye, az. caborca, Hermosillo, culiacan and mazatlan. so down the mainland. trying to decide whether to go back through the mainland or take the ferry to Baja (I love ferrys) - any advice from this who have been there is appreciated :)

oh- and I saw Neda at the Horizons Unlimited meeting in cambria last October (at the ladies section) but I'm not sure they saw me.
  13. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hah, I know your kind! And my kind... having feasted at the vending machine many times.... :puke1

But: your RR is missing one item: a pic of yourself! We need to put a face to the name!
  14. missadventure

Oddometer:
    I have not yet mastered the art of the selfie, but plan to try on the way home. for now you could click here - there are some pix of me there.
  15. GSAragazzi

GSAragazzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let's see more:deal
  16. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn! Now I am seriously impressed. Is that a tandem of two singles?

[​IMG]
  17. Poutine

Poutine (⌐■_■)

Oddometer:
    Nice RR Mo!

Keep up the good work.
  18. missadventure

Oddometer:
    thanks, Simon :)

those are two bicycles. I met a couple doing a rtw by bicycle when I was cycling the karakorum hwy. their blog is www.tour.tk
  19. missadventure

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

hitting the road manana. happy new year, y'all!
  20. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a safe and wonderful ride thru 2013 :clap
    Viva Mehico
    Looking forward for the rest of the report :lurk