Lithium Ion Battery

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by lamotovita, Sep 17, 2013.

1. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    I'd like to find one that is a same size replacement for a YTX4LBS.
    The only one I see online is a Turn Tech.
    Is Turn Tech still around? Are they good stuff? Is there another brand that will match dimensionally with the YTX4?
  2. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Anybody?
  3. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    Most LiFe batteries come with foam filler to accommodate battery box sizes. My Lithium Iron battery from Antigravity batteries did. It has work flawlessly for over a year and weighs just over 1lb.
  4. hontri

hontri Global Bummer!

Oddometer:
    Try this site http://earthxmotorsports.com/our-batteries/
  5. JTucker

JTucker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joe makes good stuff, we sell them at the shop.
    His seem to hold up really well.
    There's also Shorai, Ballistic and others.
    No idea on the Ballistic but the Shorai we sell as well, they're alright, lighter than the turntech but in my experience don't hold up as well.
  6. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    Not good in cold climates?
  7. boingk

boingk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better than lead acid.

- boingk
  8. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    more info is needed .. here are some of the factors that determines which LiFePO4 battery is correct for your bike.

what model motorcycle is this going into, so below can be determined.

a. what size motor
    b. fuel injected or carburetor
    c. wattage output of charging system
    d. what temperatures will be motorcycle be used
    e. what size AH PB battery did motorcycle mfg originally spec

will bike be used for trips to Starbucks in moderate weather or Adventure duties to parts unknown, a hundred miles from from any support?

don't trust LiFePO4 mfg listings for correct LiFePO4 battery for your motorcycle. go by actual AH ratings NOT lead acid/equivalent.

does LiFePO4 come with internal BMS that controls cell balancing? if not, how is cell balancing achieved? will that LiFePO4 battery survive brutal 200amp continuous crank tests?

do yourself a favor by going back with original AGM if your are not willing to spend $$$ for correct size LiFePO4 battery. one of the most common reason for LiFePO4 failures is installing a battery too small.

for more info .. visit my LiFePO4 testing thread.. link in sig
  9. boingk

boingk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go by cold cranking amps my good man, you'll have a cold crank rating on your lead acid (eg 120CCA) and I'd ideally overshoot this by 10~20%.

My father is using one in his BMW HP2 and it cranks over heaps better than stock, and they are notoriously hard on batteries, partlye due to their cutting edge design high compression twin cylinder motors and minimal weight.

I believe the stock battery (Yuasa YTX14-BS) was rated at 200CCA and its replacement lithium counterpart is less than a quarter the weight and puts out 290CCA. It was also only about $40 more than a stock replacement.

Definitely go lithium if you can mate, here is a direct replacement for your stocker. Has 130CCA and these guys throw in spacers so they fit stock enclosures. They also use regular car battery chargers and have a two year warranty for private use.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SSB-12V-...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4176a34f9a

Not affiliated, just know that the technology is good and that these guys in particular stand by their product.

Cheers - boingk
  10. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used several TurnTech and several Shorai batteries in my various bikes. I have proven to myself that the TurnTech Li battery is more dependable, cranks better and is longer lasting than the Shorai battery plus the TurnTech is less expensive.
  11. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry but CCA definitions for lead acid don't exactly fit LiFePO4 ... just like using PB/EQ to come up with AH ratings that are waaay off.... some LiFePO4 mfg have taken very loose interpretations of what CCA in LiFePO4 means.

Based on extensive testing myself on EarthX, Antigravity by Joel Wiseman... some mfg like EarthX and Antigravity CCA does mean something. what counts is does that LiFePO4 battery survive under brutal continuous 200amp crank tests. LOTS of details within this thread if anyone cares to dig.

a tiny LiFePO4 can successfully start a HP2 in warm weather, but fall flat on it's face when starting at 15f... further if tiny 5AH LiFePO4 battery gets drained and gets slammed with 30amps .. battery could melt...

much more info in main LiFePO4 testing thread .. link in sig

more info please ... what bikes used on? lowest temps, what model LiFePO4? how long?
  12. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info. I've ordered a Turn tech.
    15 farenheit riding isn't for me anyway. And this bike has a kicker.
  13. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    if your bike is kick start only .. requirement are minimal .. hard to choose wrong.
  14. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Kicker and E.S. both.
  15. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Cyclegear has LIFETIME batteries and NO prorating.:deal
  16. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    I was just informed about a new line of Western Powae Sports LI batteries that come in specific sizes to match existing batteries. Has anyone tried them yet?
  17. lamotovita

Oddometer:
    Got the Turn Tech. It feels like an empty black box. Fit like a glove, fired the bike right up. So far, so good.