Would you buy your bike again?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by CafeRacer99, May 3, 2012.

1. TIGERRIDER007

TIGERRIDER007 North GA RAT

Oddometer:
    06 Tiger, and it's with me for life, like riding a reliable, comfortable, quick freight train... although I am trying to find it some company so it's not lonely at night! :D
  2. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    Shhhhh. . . 955 Tigers, best kept secret in used bikes :evil
  3. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    I never ride anymore, it wears me out on the interstate and the DR pulls like a 4 banger Camry
  4. greywolf

greywolf Unpaved road avoider

Oddometer:
    I don't think I updated my last post. I bought my third Suzuki DL650 this year.
  5. xs904

xs904 Ready to scramble.

Oddometer:
    1991, bought a red/black Honda CBR600FM brand new, they were the new model back then and I went everywhere on it. 36k in the 2 years I owned it.
    2011, bought a red/black Honda CBR600FM, exactly the same model and colour as the original one. It was going for £800, was totally original and ran well. Couldn't really turn it down. Still going strong and takes me into work every so often now.

So hell yeah, I'd buy another!

Rob
  6. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Versys, and yes.

So much fun for so little money! (bought 2nd hand)
    Great commuter and gravel road/double track explorer.
  7. elmontanero

elmontanero Practicing...

Oddometer:
    05 BMW f650GS Dakar... Definitely. Put 18k before selling. Great first bike

03 BMW r1150 GS Adventure.:clap Definitely. 83k miles and climbing. Will replace with the same if I ever wear it out.

05 Triumph Tiger. Not sure. Put 10k on it in Europe, loved the ride and sound, felt top heavy to me. YMMV. (sold after trip)

81 BMW r80g/s . Definitely but not at the stupid money they fetch. Fun ride, will probably sell and regret it.

02 BMW r1100s. No. Cheap to buy, Undervalued for what it is (which is a great bike). It's just not me.
  8. Gadget Man

Gadget Man Out in the Garage...

Oddometer:
    This is a great post.
    It really is helping me make up my mind to sell my two road bikes and buy my dream ride, a 2012 Wee Strom Adventure.

I have a 1999 Yamaha Road Star Silverado big twin cruiser that I hardly ever ride. It's a beautiful bike for me and the wife to cruise around on, but not a bike I would load up and go camping with.

My 1997 BMW 650 Funduro is a fun bike, but not exactly what I'm looking for if I could only have one bike.

I do have other toys in the garage but it's hard to give them all equal attention. I think as I get older I don't need 7 different rides. Perhaps just one nice steed in the shed. I have never owned a brand new bike.

I have looked at the 650 Strom at the Dealerships and have read everything I could find on the Wee. I've finally decided that I'm going to pull the trigger and sell both and buy a Wee in the spring of 2013. I just have not told the wife yet....:eek1

Gadget Man
  9. Buellrunner

Buellrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think maybe the bikes age like wine. Maybe we dont keep them long enough. Maybe they're like old relationships. Are we popping corks early and selling them off too early for the next best thing???

The proofs in the pudding...seems to be a lot of eyes on the beautiful classic motorcycles that pop up in pics around here from time to time.....

"I change by not changing at all....."
    Pearl Jam.
  10. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love threads like this. This is the kind of stuff I ponder while I'm on road trips.

- '05 Daelim Forte 125cc scooter: I'd buy another in a heartbeat if they were sold in the US (I had mine while I was living in Korea). Fun, quick, practical, and 70 mpg when treating the throttle like an on-off switch.

- '08 Hyosung Beaver 125cc scooter: Another Korea-only scooter. I'd buy one again just because of the name.:lol3

- '08 MV Agusta Brutale 910S: Absolutely brilliant, stunning bike, but I don't think I'd buy another. It made me smile and laugh every single time I rode it, and I loved it to bits, but honestly...it was way too much bike for me. If I can wheelie a bike accidentally and at virtually any speed, I probably shouldn't be riding it. Plus even though the riding position was relatively upright, due to some bad neck/spine problems, it got to the point where I could only ride it for 10-15 minutes before pain set in. That's not the bike's fault though. My experience with the Brutale, although positive, is what keeps me from buying an Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC ...that V4 engine would be amazing, but it would probably kill me.

- '09 Aprilia Dorsoduro: That thing was stupid amounts of fun. I'd buy one again...if I can get my neck fixed. Either the Dorso or a Ducati Hypermotard.

- '11 BMW F800GS: Nope. Good bike, no doubt. But it was very sensitive to crosswinds...any winds, really...at highway speeds. I'd get blown all over the highway even in mild winds, and if I'm getting blown all over the highway I'd rather it happen in a car with tinted windows. Anyway... The BMW was kinda like riding a dishwasher...the whole experience was kind of antiseptic. No passion, nothing about the riding experience was much fun. Not bad in any way, just not much fun.

- '11 Moto Guzzi Stelvio: Yes. No doubt. She's heavy pushing her around the garage, but at even a walking pace, the pounds melt away. Grab her by the scruff of the neck and toss her around like a big dirt bike, and she's a blast. She talks to me when I ride...loads of feedback, yet it's not sensory overload. Great shifter, great brakes, comfy seat, great wind protection (with the Givi screen), and she is definitely a looker, at least to me. And the engine sounds...pure sex (with an aftermarket exhaust can). It sounds like the Italians decided to build a V-twin for NASCAR.
  11. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    During the obsession laden time wasting thoughts of how many bikes does one want and need I figured 9 out of my 13 or so bikes I've owned outright (not shared as I have with many others) would be worth having again. Not singularly, but all of them together would be a perfect bit of everything collection: tour, dual sport, classic cafe, commuter, tiddler, etc. In that sense they'd all be worth buying again, in toto. (SR500, V50 Monza, C70 Passport, BV250, K75S, F650GSA, TransAlp, S90, RD350) In some cases I have bought another one: K75S, SR500, S90. Not worth buying again: KLR, Benelli 125, Cagiva 650 Alaruzza, XS750. With so many great and interesting bikes I think when you buy one you had earlier that says its a pretty strong vote.
  12. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    03 V-strom: Yes, most definitely. Swiss-Army knife of a bike.
    98 TL-1000R: I've owned two, but wouldn't buy another. Just too many other v-twins out there I'd like to own.
    00 Hayabusa: Love this bike but wouldn't buy another.
    93 GTS-1000: I currently own two so I guess I answered that question.
    58 Dnepr: Not only "NO", but "HELL NO"!!! I like quirky bikes but this thing is a death trap
  13. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW R80G/S and R90S .. love both airheads .. absolutely would do it again!!!
  14. BigIron

BigIron Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer:
    Done it three times:

HD FXR
    KTM 690
    Honda CL100

Mrs. Iron had an F650GS and now has a Sertao

Bikes that I'd buy again:

Ninja 250
    GoldWing 1500
    ZX-14R
  15. SuperCruise

SuperCruise Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes
  16. DynaSport

DynaSport Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2010 Buell XB12XT. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.
  17. Iball

Iball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A low-mileage F650 GS thumper for $3,500 in excellent condition from a reputable dealer in a crappy economy?
    Damn right I would.
    The day I bought it I beat the immortal hell out of it in a 3 acre clayhole on the family farm.
    Didn't damage anything. All I do is change the oil, filters, tires, and brake pads and it keeps on chugging along.
    I'm keeping it as a backup bike in the unfortunate even something goes wrong with my new TEX 1200.
  18. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2001 bmw r1150gs, i would absolutely purchase this bike again if i were to get rid of it. Purchased witb 42,000miles February 2012 and has just under 52,000miles today.
  19. uraberg

uraberg whosaberg?

Oddometer:
    1050 triumph sprint.
    Most definitely buy again. I've put 35k on it in addition to the 28k it already had when I bought it. I've not had a single issue with it. It's also pretty hard to match in the performance per fuel department.

DL1000.
    Not likely, unless the price is very, very right.I had a high mileage one with more abuse on it that I bargained for. Clutch basket issues, cam chain breakage, you name it, I went through it all. In the end, it ran like a scalded ape with all the SV1000 goodies I used to fix everything.

FJ1200.
    Not likely. Too dated by now, and too heavy. Great roll on performance though for as old as it was.

Husaberg FE650 ('94)
    What a hoot! Very high strung. If one came my way again, I may not be able to pass it up.
  20. DanAllen

DanAllen ha-HAA

Oddometer:
    No I would not buy a '12 v-strom 650adv if I had the choice agian. I fell for the 0% financing and the talk of smooth engines and light weight and a do it all adv bike..... This bike is none of them! It vibrates more than my drz400, it is ans heavy as any other full dress ADV bike and has only enough power to move itself out of the way. If I could I would give it bake in a second and buy a bmw or triumph.

Honestly, is not a bad bike but it vibrates like nothing I have ever felt before, its by far the worst vibrating bike I have ever owned. If I could take it back I would!!!!!!!