Current ride totalled/stolen - would you buy the same again?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by j_csquare, Nov 25, 2012.

1. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    Although I love my 919 to death and am very happy with it... I would probably go for a FJR 1300 or VFR 800 or something else in the sport touring category that has a little wind protection. 12 hours at 80mph with nothing to block the wind gets a fit tiring after a couple of days....lol.
  2. FlowBee

FlowBee Just me.

Oddometer:
    Owning a Guzzi is definitely an acquired ... habit. Seriously try to get a test ride before buying.

Even then, the first 300 miles after buying you ask yourself "This thing is not normal. WTF did I just do???" Then it begins to grow on you and you start to make mental adjustments. After a couple of thousand you're either smitten by it, or you desperately want to unload it. I don't have a lot of experience on modern Guzzis, but I suspect the effect is much lessened today.

I really want a test ride on a 1400. It appears to be the modern Eldo that I've spent years trying to turn my bike into, with factory support and modern technology.
  3. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    '95 Miata = absolutely
    TDM 850 = you betcha
    Vstrom 1000 = not a chance. not even the new one if they nod the go ahead. wouldn't take one if it were free.

everything else = not likely don't miss them.
  4. Davo-55

Davo-55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice looking ZX-14! I have an 06 myself. I assume yours is an 06 as well, I do not think red was a color option since 06. At least in the states. To answer your question, no I would probably buy a different model with the insurance money, even though I love my 14. I would probably go with a lighter, nimbler bike, maybe a KTM 990 of a Ducati Hypermotard.
  5. j_csquare

j_csquare Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, my ZX14 is an 06 model. It is quite striking in red. I have become addicted to the grunt, and I find it quite comfortable to ride as well. I am with you though on a lighter, more nimble replacement, and a KTM Superduke or 990 SMT would also be high on my shopping list. Where I live, the risks and consequences of exploring the full capabilities of the ZX14 on public roads have just become too great. We also have lots of winding back roads in our area, and something like the KTM is better suited to those environments.
  6. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Moto's are toys....this is a sidebar to life.....maybe even a passion.....and with so many choices....

The bikes I've had the luxury of multiples have been the XR650R....I've had #3.....two were set up and run as plated enduro's, one of them cracked a piston and was replaced with a newer model, the third was a plated supermoto which was a hooligan delight.

I've also had #2 BMW GS models, 1100 and currently an 1150.....but I don't see that coming again in my future.....

As models and manufacturers continue to develop interesting bikes, I'm a very interested potential buyer who would like to see several bikes imported to the US as well as continued moto developments.......:deal
  7. SiouxsieCat

SiouxsieCat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I liked my SV650, but would not buy again. I would replace my GS ADV with same. The only car I would repurchase is the Civic I used to own (traded for an Element and didn't like it).

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2
  8. BCC

BCC I know better

Oddometer:
    No. While I've owned variants of the same bike (ex: GS, GSA), it's never been back-to-back.

Variety, dude.
  9. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    Yes, maybe, and probably not.

The '04 XL1200R I would absolutely replace with another. It's a tremendously fun bike for around town and short trips. The only problem would be finding another Roadster in as good a condition as the one I have now since Harley discontinued them after '08.

The '09 Electra Glide I might buy again. I prefer it over all the other full on touring bikes that are available at the moment. But the new Moto Guzzi California 1400 will be available in a few more months and it might be able to pull me away from the big Harley.

The '03 Moto Guzzi California I would probably not replace with another one. In fact, I probably would not replace it at all. It's a great bike and the best handling cruiser I've ever been on, but it's become sort of the odd man out in my garage and just doesn't get ridden as much as the other two.
  10. ShardPhoenix

ShardPhoenix Наглый ублюдок

Oddometer:
    To mirror my sentiments in another RW thread..

No. I would not replace my current bike with the same one should it be stolen/total loss. I'm looking to get away from cruisers. Perhaps I'd shed a quick tear for my first motorcycle, but the sadness would quickly wane as I started an earnest hunt for the replacement machine.
  11. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would likely replace every bike I have ever owned with something different EXCEPT for this one:

[​IMG]

If this one were stolen I would replace it with one just like it. I will have this one or one like it all my days. (others can come and go)

[​IMG]
  12. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    Yes and no . . Yes, I'd get another Multistrada but no, not the base model I have, I'd pony up for a Pikes Peak :D
  13. theWolfTamer

theWolfTamer Lupie on a Mission

Oddometer:
    I wrecked mine in Jan 2011. I really like my gen1 FZ1 and the wreck made me realize it was time to move some stuff from the I'd like to list to the get it done list. I like the bike even more now that I did the mods. For me, everything I test ride doesn't do that much more to make me consider getting a new bike; plus i find that style of bike the most comfortable. If it got totalled/stolen, I'd likely get another Gen1 but the Skunk.
  14. Andy_P

Andy_P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had my triumph sprint st stolen, replaced it with the same bike. Ticked all the boxes at the time. I still ride it, and still enjoy it, and in fact will be doing a big tour on it in about 3 weeks.

However, my interests in riding are changing, especially since I bought the DR650. To be honest, if the sprint got stolen today, I dont think I would replace it. I think now, I would keep the DR, and maybe buy a Laverda Jota, something I have lusted over for a while now. My DR is a commuter, and it seems to be getting more use on the weekends too. The sprint, well its just a fun bike, and I am happy to move onto the next fun bike now.
  15. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    Current bike, a 2009 TU250, yes, in fact, I bought a 2nd bike as a spare, it was a salvage bike so it was cheap.
    I would not have gotten many others over the years, only a few, the first model honda xl250 was great, the 1979 Triumph Bonneville special was a bike I would buy today, the new ones not.
    I might have gotten another early xt250, it was a good basic dual sport.
    I would not mind having another dr650.

Nothing else out of all the other bikes I have had, although many were fun and good bikes.
    Its got to be very good for me not to look around for something better/different.
  16. DanAllen

DanAllen ha-HAA

Oddometer:
    My DRZ400sm was stolen back in Feb, 2 months later I bought another one.

On the other hand, if my '12 V-strom 650 were to be stolen, I would not buy another. It's not a bad bike at all, it just dosen't fit me very well. I would look pretty hard at a ducati hyperstrada as it's replacement.
  17. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

:eek1 What a beauty!

I've never heard a Harley with a "normal" aftermarket exhaust pipe. I've only heard stock, the always horrible generic shotgun pipes, or the buell model muffler thingies.

Funny, I love the sound of stock mufflered Harleys, but the worst sound I can think of in the entire world, is a Hog with those freaking hideous open pipe brapping blat blat pipes. Ugh! :puke1

Intrigued by what a carbon canned 2-1 would sound like! :D
  18. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Nah. I like both of my bikes just fine, but replacing it with exactly the same thing is a missed opportunity IMHO.
  19. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd spring for another DR650 if she blew up. It does everything I want it to do. I doubt if anyone would want to steal it.

Wish the Jimney were available stateside.
  20. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

It sounds deep... It is surprising how quiet (NOT obnoxious) it really is. The huge bonus it it shaved 29lbs. off the bike. :deal