Center stand skid-plate, r1150gs Adv

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by kildala2000, Oct 5, 2004.

1. R71

R71 From central NH

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I sent you a PM, Intersetsed in the set for the Adventure

Dan
  2. simonm

simonm Stealth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ........re ADV clear coat set

Don't need 'em till August so don't sweat it :D
    Enjoy your holiday
  3. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    for an '04 Adv f/c and skidplate
  4. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my plates yesterday and going to install them tomorow. For those sitting on the fence I'll tell you this is a high quality product backed by even greater customer services. Stop waiting! :freaky

Gongrats Rick!

Mane
  5. R71

R71 From central NH

Oddometer:
    Got my plates this week, they look great and should be a quick install even with my Ham handed mechanical skills! great to do buisness with Kidala2000 he put my plates in the mail the same day I ordered them.

Thanks, Dan
  6. ptc05ADV

ptc05ADV Looking for adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
    :D Hello from Labrador... land of gravel and sand!

I am convinced, can you please sell me your GS Adventure "package deal" of guard and bash plate for $50.00?

Canada Post expedited parcel is probably the best way to ship.

My postal code is A0P 1C0

Can you PM me for more details? Thanks :deal

Peter Campbell
  7. zarly

zarly Action Pants!

Oddometer:
    Hey it's Zarly again, just wondering if you make them for the Standard GS as well?
  8. ChuckTaylor

ChuckTaylor But I digress

Oddometer:
    When are you going to make these for airheads?
  9. dhaynes

dhaynes Alpha geek

Oddometer:
    BTW, I got my plates in the mail a few days after I tore my ACL on the bike :\ Thanks for shipping them so fast though.

They look excellent, nicely made... and my knee is almost good enough now that I can think about installing them in the next week or two.

Hopefully I'll be able to report their performance during a bit of torture testing... next spring when my knee is up to off-roading again :p
  10. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is realy needed is a proper replacement for the engine skid plate. I've already gone through 2 of the chincy BMW OEM plates.

Hint! Hint!
  11. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing both times. I must first admit that I hammer my bike and that my shocks are in need of replacement (Wilbers on order), but here goes:

Both times it happened comming off a small jump (2' max) at about 20 mph. on landing the bike bottomed out and sheared the rubber mount shear-bolts that hold the skidplate on. The problem w/ the EOM skid plate is:

1- It's thin aluminum, more for looks than effectiveness. My exhaust bolt actually punched a hole clean through the fron of the skid plate.
    2- It's composed of too many parts and is very difficult to re-attach and align the parts to put it back on after it has taken a hit.
    3- It mounts directly to the engine via the shear bolts.
    4- The shear bolts are crap and cost $6 ea from BMW. I was able to find similar bolts from a machine shop for 1.50 ea.

I understand that the rubber shear bolts are a necessity. Better to break one of those than take a chunk out of the engine block, but there has to be a better way.

I envision a one piece,thicker aluminum skid plate. Much like the Baja Design ones made for XR650s & DRZ400s w/ stronger, sturdier attachment points. Maybey one could incorporate sume rubber bumpers between the skidplate and the engine block so that these would absorbe the brunt of the force instead of the shear bolts. Also the attachement bolts need to be recessed into the skid plate so that regular lock nuts can be used instead of the $$$$$$$ and hard to get BMW aluminum specialty nuts.

Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents.

Thanx Dan
  12. GENO

GENO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rick . You know your stuff . Will be heading to a GS rallye in Lahinch in Southern Ireland . Anyone who asks will be sent your way ..Silver one looks great on black bike... County Clare if any you lot looking for Lahinch... Thanks again
  13. Just_Sean

Just_Sean herewegoagain

Oddometer:
    Hey guys and gals, I just got the bash plates - really easy to install, fit well, and a great price!!! Look around at what it costs you for just a centerstand skid plate, then factor in you get the front cover plate too
  14. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to thank Rick for my new skid plate. With only a few days before my trip up north, Rick said i could pick it up at a prearranged location. This worked out perfectly. The install was quick and easy, even on the road. Rick said all i needed was a commom screwdriver and a 10 mm wrench.

Here are a couple of pics of the install.[​IMG]
    Plate, clamps, tools. I like low tech that works well![​IMG]

The finished product. The plate worked as it should and the hardware didn't loosen at all for the rest of my trip. Rick, thanks again.:thumb
  15. simonm

simonm Stealth Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick note to say thanks for a great product - fits perfectly and looks good; I have the clearcoated set on my white GSA-SE.

There's more.
    A public thank you for the patience and good faith shown by kildala2000 during this deal, which was complicated by the hassle in getting the cash safely from the UK.
    I wanted to support a fellow ADVRider and am glad I did. The service was first class.

:freaky
  16. ptc05ADV

ptc05ADV Looking for adventure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
    Rick, the package finally arrived today. :D

I ripped it open as if it was Christmas morning, three pretty metal plates in pristine condition. Excellent and expeditious shipping, which is saying a lot for Canada Post, thanks so very much.:thumb

Pictures to follow once I get them on and a snugmug account.... :webers

Peter
  17. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in

Oddometer:
    PSSST.......use this coupon code when you do and save $5 WJzo5fRWdEpbs :deal
  18. alkaloid

alkaloid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just installed my rear rack extension and I'm most happy with the product. Plenty of places to hook on to for securing the load and still have the rear grab rail too. Customer service great as well. Thanks again... -Mike
  19. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Howdy All, I just got 2 skid plate sets off Rick and i gotta say that they really are top pieces of kit, well finished, strong and easy to install. And the service was great, it took less than a week to get them from Canada to Australia! If you havn't got a skid plate on your beast you should seriously consider these.
    Thanks Rick:thumb
  20. JoyRide

JoyRide Roadking

Oddometer:
    Just put on the skid plate set and rear rack that Rick made to fit nicely between my happy-trail bags. Rick even supplied a set of spacers to raise the rack to the same height as the top of my bags... making a flat surface between the bags.

One of my best add-ons.