The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. dirtdiver

dirtdiver Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey is the 250L a full sized frame? I have an 04 crf230f and it is about 80% full sized. I wonder where the 250L is?

DD
  2. Rider1

Rider1 Ridin' Dave

Oddometer:
  3. Nesquik

Nesquik Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ive got the emperor radiator guard. Havent crash tested it but i could not get it to flex. Nor could my brother and hes a pretty strong guy. Very strong. I even told him to do his best to break it haha
  4. JRaye89

JRaye89 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Just Bob

Just Bob Been There Done That

Oddometer:
    THIS is what a motorcycle should look like. Polish is for your teeth. :D

[​IMG]
  6. giap

giap n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!
    interesting thread to follow, even if I don't have a CRF :cry

subscribed!
  7. DirtyBlackIrish

DirtyBlackIrish Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Welcome!
  8. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI

Called Helm Inc 1-888-292-5393. CRF Service Manual is currently sold out. They'll take your email and contact you when it's available again.
  9. izzyblue

izzyblue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Isn't she beautiful?:raabia
  10. giap

giap n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  11. foxbrook

foxbrook Adventurer

Oddometer:
    CRF only has them in stock, I ordered one and it was here promptly (to Canada too!) Shipping was a bit much but I emailed and asked them to ship it cheaper and they did.

I also noticed Lost Rider's pic about the shift lever. I ordered a RFX Forged Gear Shift Lever from a company on ebay, it bends on impact and looks well made. Was only $30 or so... Didn't get to try it out "yet" lol
  12. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We bought a CRF250L for work and I got to take it out on a fantastic three hour gravel road blast around the back roads of Raglan. I thought it was amazingly easy to ride, stock IRC tires were perfect for the dry gravel roads and the seat height was perfect for my 5'9" height. Love the fuel gauge, clutch is silky smooth. A bit slow on the road (compared to my KLR650!) and the seat is a bit hard (no big deal on either issue of course). HOWEVER, at around the 230km mark when I was slowing down coming into a stop (behind a line of cars), the bike stopped running. I was in first and had the clutch held in. I immediately hit the starter button and it came back to life. I assumed I did something wrong (?) and thought nothing more of it. About 60 odd kms later, as I slowed down to turn into my driveway the same thing happened again in the exact same manner. The next day, the Boss at work had the bike stall (shut off) three times on him while slowing down, in first gear, with the clutch in. So the dreaded "stall" issue has reared it's ugly head over here as well!! Really sucks because I am about to buy one for myself!!! I will wait to see if the dealer can fix the issue before I pull the trigger. From all I have read it is a fuel injection issue that WILL happen to SOME bikes. No known fix yet. Any advice or "secret tricks" to fix it would help because I'll bet our dealer will not have the slightest idea what is wrong. :cry :cry :cry
  13. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    There's many things that could cause that stalling and it might very well not be FI related.
    Has the bike had it's first service and inspection yet?
    The fact that it started right back up would lead me to believe it's not one of the more common FI related issues like a clogged injector or failed fuel pump. (not that I've been hearing much about these Honda's having those issues other bikes have)

It's under warranty, let the dealer figure it out and post up some real data instead of hearsay or speculation.
    Not buying your own LRP because of this issue doesn't make sense to me but to each their own, plenty of trouble free owners in here, and many more CBR250 owners with many trouble free miles on the same motor, this isn't a new untested engine we have here.

Good luck!

My 2¢
  14. kiwi5

kiwi5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steady on there Captain! I am posting real info that is happening to our CRF250L. IF you read through the posts you will see that it is not an isolated incident (take a look at the CBR250 stalling issues if you want to read about a million pages of agony). I actually like the CRF, and as I stated- it does not happen to all bikes and IS clearly happening to some. Do not worry, I will certainly post updates as we try to figure out why the stalling/stopping is happening to a new motorcycle. Forums are not only for posting the good things that happen with our bikes, but also as a way to inform others of issues and hopefully rectify them. :wink:
  15. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can buy a BMW 650 GS, and get the same thing, mine would stop running just like the Honda does. If I slowed down and shifted through the gears I would never have this problem, but slow down and hold the clutch in it might stall. I can say it probably happen once every 100 miles of riding and yes, it would fire right back up as if nothing had happened. It is a fuel injection problem on the BMW and the computer is telling the FI to shut down. BMW can't find a fix for it in its 12 years of production on their 650 single, but maybe Honda can. I don't think the Honda has a computer, but I'm sure it's probably has some sensor somewhere telling it the shutdown. Mine hasn't done it yet and let's hope Honda has a fix for it.

John
  16. Harcomo

Harcomo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, looks like it is happening on bikes all around the world unfortunately. I have the Dobeck EJK on mine and a member said he had contacted Dobeck and they suggested resetting the idle switch point on the EJK controller. I did that to mine but have not ridden it since because of the cold weather. So....don't know if that will help but at any rate, it is happening just the same to totally stock bikes and it is an issue that Honda needs to address and implement a fix. Let us all know if you come up with anything and like you said, don't count on your dealer for any help with an issue like this as they will likely not have a clue. In the meantime, when you pull in the clutch and roll to a stop, keep giving it some throttle to keep the engine from idling down too low....maybe that will help for now.
  17. itrack

itrack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It only does it when you drop speed with the clutch in, say more than a 15mph drop. If you just let the engine slow you down it never happens.
  18. EEKAMOUSE

EEKAMOUSE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    35 Nm =25lbft seems high and is that the same value for upper and lower fork pinch bolts
  19. lrgart

lrgart 2 wheels and a motor, I’m in!

Oddometer:
    I am squirreling away my LRP funds and can't tell you how much fun it is seeing your videos and pictures! Wish St. Louis had a little more elevation to it, but I guess that means a road trip is in order!

:D
  20. CNDRAT

CNDRAT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have been checking out this thread (may be purchasing the Honda)..came across your post...Wow..Gobsmacked....Well Done Mr LR and Mrs LR :clap