Tailgating

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by TeneRay, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the video! Definitely worth a chuckle.

Is that you? :D
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :lol3 IF I could dance, it would look more like this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5RfAyIi1VtE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jim :brow
  3. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    Misusing 'safety' and 'anger' isn't a typo. You spelled the words correctly.

I fully understand your your statements. I understand how your Karma quote contradicts itself stating that I "received what I gave". I believe prior to him riding my ass and just after I slowed down to allow him to shift lanes, I was happily minding my own business, trying to resolve an immediate situation in a harmless manor. You're going to have to explain to me in what instance I was "given what I deserved"? Even after I made those dick moves and up to the time he finally passed me, he still proceeded to tailgate.

Another thing I can't understand is my OP initially asked for an un-opinionated response; just a suggestion for a remedy. Something like, "let them pass" (which you did imply) would have been reasonable, however, you would rather critique and insult everything I have to post. Me? Childish?

I'm not fully comprehending your previous phrase and how it applies:

"The other one took my toy away first."

I'm not familiar with that expression. Please elaborate for the sake of me continuing this debacle.
  4. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its so simple, yet some folks here seem to want trouble. Tailgaters have shown you through their actions that they lack judgment and self control. It should be obvious that getting into a pissing contest, or throwing things is stupid, and possibly counter productive.

If your blocking traffic, reconsider what your doing, and take appropriate action.

If its just one impatient motorist/rider being aggressive, ride your own ride, don't let them bully you into doing something dangerous or illegal so they can pass.

A bad driver/rider is like any other road hazard, you don't get angry at it, you simply avoid it.
  5. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are right about that. Your idiot level was through the roof. :deal
  6. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Sometimes ones fingers type something else than the mind thinks. Me calls that a typo.

Considering what you write, you don't.
    It's your attitude what's troubling you.
  7. TeneRay

Oddometer:
    You're going to need to explain how my idiot level was through the roof? Is it not a speed limit? As long as I don't exceed the posted speed, I'm not in violation? As a matter of fact, did you not make a previous statement about letting them pass? Was I not clear enough in my previous post when I said, "I slowed down to let them change lanes"?

Considering that you fail to type from what you think leads me to believe you have lost your train of thought to argue coherently and effectively. It would be wiser to just let this go before this thread ends up in the Basement for drifting far beyond topic.
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

Now you are just trolling. (or much more dense that you previously let on)

Yes there are speed limits posted. Speed limits that you have absolutely NO business trying to enforce

"...to let them change lanes" Oh my... How positively gracious of you.:lol3 If you are in the way YOU change lanes! Or in language you might be able to grasp. Get the fuck out of the way. Don't play silly games be becoming the offender. Truly you can not be this stupid.

Go ahead, play your games with will 4000lbs of rolling steel. It is a good way to get hurt or killed.

You are doing it wrong but good luck that.
  9. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Now that's funny!!! :lol3
  10. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are being a bit rough on the OP.

I agree that pulling over and letting the offending driver pass you in the correct lane, you on the right, him on the left.

Really, ride your own ride.

Tailgaters suck.
  11. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Sometimes I try to adapt to my my counterpart.
  12. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    +10

No sense being "Dead right"

I prefer to gas it and get away from them, then turn off and take a different route if necessary.
  13. tech4

tech4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If lane change isn't option then weaving in lane position has worked for me.
  14. TeneRay

Oddometer:
    Enforce? I wasn't enforcing anything. Merely slowing down. If there was another option for the driver and he failed to use it, that's his fault; not mine.

Situation: I'm riding on a two lane road while doing the speed limit. There is traffic behind me, opposing traffic, and there's no room to pass or pull off. Am I enforcing everyone behind me to do the speed limit? Well, I believe I'm following the law. If someone wants to pass to speed away, then they become the criminal. Am I going to catch up to them and try to make them do the speed limit? I think not. If so, then I'm enforcing or being a dicktard.

So you're telling me if you come upon a slow moving vehicle in a multi-lane road, you continue to ride behind them until they allow you to pass? Of course! I must have had it wrong this whole time!

Meh, it's your opinion. You've heard it from the masses on both sides of the equation. Who is to say anyone is right?

Well you're struggling to get up to my level.
  15. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good Luck Spanky. :1drink
  16. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Hopefully you're not that high while riding.

A mature, responsible rider would adapt to the surrounding traffic.
    Again, you get what you give.
    It's amazing how often you "as long as I'm not forced otherwise by law, I give a fuck about others"-guys are tailgated or blocked, while we others have a fun ride.
  17. TeneRay

Oddometer:
    Please, enlighten the class how a mature, responsible rider would handle the situation in the scenario I just presented?

You still never answered my question in regards to your expression about "the other one taking away my toy".

Karma and Pacifism doesn't work on the roads; especially from what I've come to learn real quick moving to the East. Unfortunately, a lot of the roads in the East also don't offer a second option. It's either faster or slower. Trying to pull over and turn around in Bocephus' driveway may not fair too well; especially on a Japanese bike dressed like a Power Ranger.

I'm always having fun whenever I'm in the seat of my bike; whether it's a commute to work or a weekend jaunt.

How often us-guys are tailgated or blocked? Well, it's called traffic for a reason. It's when one or more vehicles conglomerate on the roadways. Maybe at spaced intervals, maybe all together in one group. Maybe things are different from where you're from? Somehow or someway, breaking the flow of traffic, alleviating blocking and tailgating altogether.

Am I getting blocked? Pretty much most of the time. It typically happens whenever I approach a slower moving vehicle. A handful of times a week I'm slowed down by the Cagers either heading to work or coming home through the twisities. In my head I'm thinking, "these guys are too damn slow. They can't even do the posted or suggested speeds." But, I still maintain my spacing and wait since there's only a mile worth of passing lanes in my 15 mile commute.

Getting tailgated? Sure, I'll get a driver(s) into my comfort zone every now and then. However, from observation, most will have a moment of enlightenment and back off (with exception of the OP incident).

You must assume that I post one incident and I'm going around brake checking other drivers on a daily basis.
  18. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that's what the OP did wrong, adapt to surrounding poor driving habits that is so common place today
  19. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Very, very, very easy. Ride at the speed all the others do or drive to the right and maybe use your indicator, 'cause there's always enough space for a bike and two cars.

In my experience no. Same as with you here are always lamenting guys who don't want to see that cooperation is better. It doesn't really matter if traffic is better or worse here or there, it's always your attitude what defines your experience.

Try to fool yourself into that if you want. It's your problem.
  20. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    not sure if I missed the discussion about where the person tailgating maybe impaired, insane or on his way to some place to do a shooting. you just never know what the person is up to. we had a guy stopped at a sign on his bike on a Friday going home afternoon and the 16 year old tailgating him and killing him was texting.