Trans New Jersey Trail

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by rob23, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Riding

Riding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would be more than happy to join! I ride a Super Tenere. I will just throw a date in there: 7/14?
  2. cammok5

cammok5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i ride a ktm 625, probly not the best adv bike but it should get the job done. the 14th isnt good for me but dont let that stop the rest if that date works for you
  3. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welly
    990 is currently in pieces.
    About to tackle valves this week and waiting on some other parts, so the 14th is a bit soon for me too.

Hoping to have all the work done by the 23rd though
  4. Riding

Riding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Aaaaaand, 14 is gone for me too... :-(

Any other date we can propose? I am game for a one day of TNJT fun! :freaky
  5. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Starting from Neptune and riding the course backwards to where it crosses Rt #130, turned around and went down to Bass River Park and back to Neptune in one day on my KTM 620 with no problems...(other than a sore ass):lol3

I'm interested in doing the ride if a date is set and I can make it (Sundays are best for me)

@Riding.... I ride a Super Tenere....Nice :clap
  6. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    keep me informed ray
  7. mudcut

mudcut n00b

Oddometer:
    Looking to do the northern half let me know
  8. spacejunky

spacejunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ride a 1200 gs and would be up for a ride the coming weekend or the one after. I live around the central part of the trail where it intersects rt 130. Keep me posted please.
  9. rw4x4van

rw4x4van East Coast Rider

Oddometer:
    Will do Chris.......

....another "Super Tenere" rider
  10. cammok5

cammok5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    speeking of getting bikes ready, is there any stretch of paved road ware its above 50-55mph in the lower half? if so il have to regear
  11. Riding

Riding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Let's give it another try here: July 28 or 29 (I read some people prefer Sun)? I would be game either day.

Just a couple of disclaimers:
    1) I moved to NJ about a year ago so I am still learning my way around the garden state.
    2) I have a CAR gps in the bike so I can go by myself to places that have tarmac. The off road GPS will be for christmas probably :D
    3) This is my first "off-road" bike. I come from 18 years of riding sport bikes (2 strokes, big 4 cylinders 150 hp, classic Ducatis...). So I am still an off road rookie. I can just say that so far it has been a lot of fun! :clap:clap

Let's hear if this date is good... c'mon guys! :ear
  12. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    I'm new here. Great site!
    I don't have a big dual sport bike. I'm currently riding a '77 Honda Trail 90
    that I'm slowly restoring. (a very quiet and very slooow bike)
    These backroads and trails on the TNJT look like
    just the thing with my little bike. I don't have a GPS (and don't want or need one)
    Anybody have any idea how I can print out the sections from Google maps
    as a set of directions? Most of section one is fairly close to my home
    and I'd love to get out there and ride some of it.
    But being an older guy who prefers maps and directions to electronic
    gadgets, I'd really like to get a print out of the directions, sort of like
    a road rally sheet.
    Can't seem to figure out how to get Google maps to do that for me.
    Thanks!
  13. spacejunky

spacejunky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Riding: sign me up for the noob-off-rider club as well. I moved down to jersey from maine late last year and am still getting my feet wet. Used to ride a triumph street-bike before getting hooked on advriding. This forum and the people on it have been of immense help. I am working July 28th/29th weekend :( but will try and swap that weekend out with a colleague if it works for the people here.

@OffCenter: I am one of those over-spec'd people;) who find the GPS convenient. However, I have played around with the track on gps-babel and am sure that there is a way to print it out in a usable form. i'll try if successful, will send it to you.

Cheers!
  14. Offcenter

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much!!!!! I'd really appreciate it!
    Where in Jersey are you? I'm near Lake Hopatcong myself,
    northwestern corner of the state.
  15. jconly

jconly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love that this thread suddenly came to life with everyone excited to tackle this together.

I myself only have a few seasons of trail riding under my belt.
    And by seasons, I mean maybe 2 days a month max.
    Those were always on my little 200 2-stroke as well.

Never done anything too crazy on the big bike (it's new to me!! :clap,) especially any deep sand like I know a lot of southern Jersey is. Assuming this holds true for the southern portion if the TNJT as well?

My question for those of you guys who have done the full thing... how long does it take to go top to bottom?
    Seems everyone is interested in doing either the northern or southern half. I'd love to tackle the whole thing.

I'm hoping I can have her fully equipped by the end of the month for these prospective dates.
  16. cammok5

cammok5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ive only been rideing dirtbikes since the winter but ive riden quads for a few years now and think i ride preaty good for being so new to it. i havent had any truble keeping up with the few other poeple ive riden with so far.
  17. Offcenter

Oddometer:
    Although I have a quarter million road miles over the years, I've never done any off roading.
    I've been slowly getting the Trail 90 restored and and made roadworthy and reliable again.
    Since this bike has a reputation for being able to go anywhere,
    I'm eager to try it out on on some longer rides on the TNJT.
    But with only 7 hp, and top speed of around 45 mph,
    I'm not likely to keep up with anyone. :rofl
  18. Riding

Riding Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @spacejunky: great to hear! I hope you can clear your 28th/29th, otherwise, let's keep trying other dates! I am looking forward to hitting some dirt!
  19. cammok5

cammok5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the 28/29 should be ok for me but maybe to soon for others?? saturdays would probaly be better so i dont have to rush home sunday night for work in the am after already rideing all day but let majority rule.
  20. KevinLeigh

KevinLeigh New Member Old Rider

Oddometer:
    Rode part of the TNJT this weekend. (7/7/2012) Picked up the trail at High Point, and rode down to Long Valley. It was quite an experience, riding 2-up on my 2003 Yamaha FZ1 with Pilot Road 3 tires. Brook Rd (In the Flatbrook Fish and Wildlife Management Area) was washed out pretty badly at N41 11.395 W74 50.234. Check out this thread for the details: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=807277