The Rimfire Thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by notarex, Apr 4, 2009.

1. xshanex

xshanex Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I had been looking for a cheap wheel gun for probably 5 years now and they don't really exist as far as I can tell :lol3 The off-brand and lesser liked models that aren't expensive must be hoarded or rusting away or were handed in to buyback programs.

We have raccoons here in a bad way and my fiancée was mauled badly by a pack of them last year. The new gun will be perfect for taking care of them humanely and quietly after they've been trapped
  2. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    There weren't many inexpensive guns that were of decent quality. H&R is about the best of them.
  3. enjine

enjine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With my first can on order (22 sparrow) I need a recommendation on a rifle:

- 22lr
    - bolt action
    - wood stock
    - can be threaded for the can
    - tube-fed would be great
    - good quality. something i can plink with, teach the kids with, and eventually pass down

Maybe pump action would be even better? I have a winchester 1890 in 22 short. If i found one in 22lr for a decent price, can octagonal barrels be threaded? Anything similar in bolt action that isn't necessarily a collector?
  4. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only problem with threading an octagonal barrel for a can is that they are most often found on rifles that probably should be 'preserved' in their original state. Just about anything can be threaded. One consideration in making the choice would be something that is easy to mount a scope on because a) the front sight will probably have to be moved or removed to do the threading and b) many o.e.m. sights are not tall enough to use with the suppressor in place. Both of those conditions can certainly be addressed if you really want to keep some form of 'irons', it just takes more parts and machinist time.
    Not sure that anyone makes a threaded barrel/wood stock from the factory at present. CZ did offer that variant in the 452, now that they have switched to the easily changed barrels on the 455 it would seem like a 'no-brainer' to have a factory threaded option but it hasn't happened (that I know of).
    While tube magazines are very traditional, I am not a big fan of them on a 'beginners' or 'learning how' rifle. I find that being able to drop the mag completely and clear the chamber is just an easier thing to teach than how to be sure that there isn't a round still (perhaps temporarily) hung up in the tube.

Bruce
  5. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    when I found out CZ was switching away from fixed barrels. purchased a 452 with threaded tip just in case. that's been about 3 years ago. still in unfired condition.

CZ now offers threaded barrel for 455

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

That is cool. I don't see it listed as an available rifle but the price to get it as an extra barrel isn't bad. I am not very familiar with rimfire suppressors, is 1/2 x 20 a common threading? I kind of hoped for 1/2 x 28 since I have one in that thread.

Bruce
  7. KeithinSC

KeithinSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    1/2-28 is common for rimfire and .223.
    I'm looking at one of these once the funds loosen up a little.
    http://www.advanced-armament.com/Rimfire_c_22.html
  8. Gingie

Gingie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My SR-22 with a shorter threaded bbl + shroud, 4" hanguard and ARFX stock:

[​IMG]
  9. gofast1320

gofast1320 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a S&W M&P 15-.22. already threaded. Put a Yankee Hill Machine can on it. Love that click thud with sub-sonic ammo.
  10. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Other than a rimfire, I have an M54 Winchester in .22 Hornet and a Martini in .218 Bee, and a Krico in .222. Lotsa .22 fun. Oh, and a Walther PP .22.
  11. gatling

gatling Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Ruger No. 3, a Ruger No. 1, and a Model 43 Winchester in .22 Hornet. I have only shot the No. 3, and it likes WW296 best. Do you have a load you like for the Hornet?
  12. mattlikesbikes

mattlikesbikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of Cans, I'm looking for a can predominately for use on my 10/22 and my 22A, but since i am in the .22X size range I thought it might be nice to run on my AR. I like that rimfire cans are typically user serviceable. Is there a recommended can that works best on a .22 but also does a dang good job on a .223?

Is there any can that does .3X real well along with everything below? One can on everything (.22LR, .223, .308)
  13. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I understand it (in other words I could be wrong .... again) the 22 rimfire cans are usually able to be openned up for cleaning because the ammo is so 'dirty'. 22 rimfire cans are not designed to handle the pressure of an AR so it might not last long if you try to use a rimfire can on a centerfire and a centerfire can will become less effective as it gets filled with crud if used on the rimfire. There are probably cleanable centerfire cans (mine isn't) that I don't know about. Another thing is weight, I couldn't/wouldn't spend the extra cash for titanium, my stainless YHM weighs 20 oz, very noticable on the AR and would completely change the balance of most rimfires. I am tempted to get something like a 17HMR Savage and have it threaded to se how that would sound, even knowing that you can't really silence a supersonic round.

Bruce
  14. ballistic_ken

ballistic_ken Helmet hair victim.

Oddometer:
    What happened to the mag?:eek1

15. Gingie

Gingie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a factory BX-1 ten rounder that's jb welded to an AR airsoft knock-off. The jb holds it on really well, and the AR functions like a really big mag pull (and is 100% certified mall ninja awesome).
  16. 00SS

00SS Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer:
    My twins having some fun, funny one is a bench / bolt action shooter (just picked her up that new savage 22. wmr) and her sister prefers more of quantity than quality :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Off the grid

Off the grid Scrub Daddy

Oddometer:
    On the front lines, battling a global pandemic.
    Better form than some adults, you taught them well. :deal
  18. 00SS

00SS Always a vicious cycle

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir - i have to admit they are some fine shooters, so are my other two daughters.. but the one the left is scary good with any caliber she picks up.
  19. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    I posted this on the ILTG, but in case you don't read both:

Found a slick way to upgrade the trigger on my Marlin 880 .22 bolt action - going on line and searching showed a well know trick: The Pen-spring replacement - pull the trigger return spring and replace it with a Papermate Flexgrip retractable pen spring - I had one in my drawer about out of ink so that was free...then shim the spring that powers the Sear - I used a piece of wire cut to length, maybe .06" long to tighten the sear.

Did not stone the trigger/sear interface, might do that just for giggles now that I know how easy it is to work on this rifle.

Improvement? Went from a small group of 1.4" yesterday to a small group of .95" today, at 50 yards. Not exactly bench-rest accuracy, but for a .22, not too bad, for a cheap-ass .22, I'm more than happy - the trigger is about half as hard to pull, but I don't have a scale to test it - the groups tell the tale in my mind.

Cost: Free part, about an hour of my fiddling around time. Most of it spent learning the parts.
  20. nytrashman

nytrashman old and in the way

Oddometer:
    i picked up a CZ 452 the other day and put a nice 4.5-14x40 Muller scope on it. took it to the range today and all i can say is i love this gun. i should have bought one a long time ago. my daughters 10/22 isn't even in the same league as this and her gun isn't factory by any means. now if i only could find some ammo........