Concours C14 thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Wout67, Dec 1, 2008.

1. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
    I may have to do that. I read some but what is the procedure? Send cpu or some such part off? Is there a good link, cost?
  2. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ther are probebly good tips on www.bikeland.org, either under the C14 section or the ZX14
  3. KiloBravo

KiloBravo Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm with you, can't do 100's of miles day after day on a cruiser....not that there's anything wrong with it.
  4. scotty918

scotty918 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I rode to Estes Park Colorado from Tulsa Oklahoma this past summer. I had a ball on my 2010 C14, but man oh man, my knees ached at the end of the day. I sold it at the end of the summer, but had I kept it, highway pegs would have been purchased. A Baldwin seat isn't a bad idea either.

Scotty
  5. Wout67

Wout67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. My back is fine. My damn knees kill me after about 300 miles. My wife can do way longer days. I need something I can ride on long days.
  6. WSikorski

WSikorski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have two trashed knees and never have a knee issue with the 14. 2010 with 25,000 miles. Rode the old DL1000 for 50,000 miles; the knees did not like the V-Strom.
  7. scotty918

Oddometer:
    Just out of curiosity, what is your inseam?
  8. FargAT

FargAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'3 with a 32/33 inseam, and the C14 is killing my knees as well. Especially since there's nowhere to go, except the rear pegs, which puts an even more aggressive angle onto my knees = useless.

Next step; selling the C14 (we have 2) and get into the ADV touring market; arguably of interest, the DL1000; seems to make the most sense to me price vs value.

Mike
  9. Egodriver71

Egodriver71 Rider of something

Oddometer:
  10. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:
  11. cls

cls Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the 'fly removal on an '06 ZX14 and an '09 C14. It does the same thing but the difference was not as dramatic on the Connie. I suspect because it's already been "retuned" for more low-mid power. I also just did the reflash on my '12 ZX14R. The differences between ECU or reflash you note will be very minimal, unless you're a racer. The reflash is very simple and quick turn-around. Or, at least is was w/Don Guhl and Brock's. I was very pleased w/all results.

Out of interest, I also have a Raider. It is a very comfortable, nice bike. It has very good power but that is largely muted by the friggin' weight of the thing. On a cruiser, though, who really cares. It looks, sounds, and pulls good.
  12. jub jub

jub jub frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, got a quick question. I was over on the Connie forum and there was a thread started on people that have dropped their bikes. Is this a common problem? Makes me feel the bike must really be top heavy and when it starts to go, not much you can do about it. :ear
  13. Egodriver71

Egodriver71 Rider of something

Oddometer:

It's called a CDA.

Realize you're balancing an almost 700lb bike. :deal

I know plenty of people who have accidentally dropped 400lb bikes!!! :eek1

It's not really any more top heavy than any other modern sport tourer.

Shoot, if you get a new FJR and clip the bag on a pole, you'll end up in a sailboat!!!! :rofl
  14. cablebandit

cablebandit Web Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The good thing is it falls over nicely. :evil It just lands on the lower front part of the bag and the mirror folds in.

When it starts to go get out of it's way because there's no stopping it and you'll end up getting hurt.
  15. scotty918

Oddometer:
    Jub jub, I never dropped my C14. That said, I had a couple of close calls. The bike is a bit top heavy and it's a bit tall. Notice I used the words "a bit". It's really not that bad, but you need to be careful at low speeds, especially moving it around in the garage and such. My close calls were really due to carelessness on my part as much as anything else. FYI, I'm 6'0 with a 32 inch inseam. As usual, YMMV.

Scotty
  16. motocopter

motocopter Long timer

Oddometer:
    My close call was pushing the bike back into the garage after a ride, one day last Fall. I had stopped at a convienience store and grabbed some Buds'. Just the extra weight in the right bag, was enough put the cg off-kilter a bit. Saved it. :gdog

I sure liked the reverse on the Goldwing! :1drink
  17. Wout67

Wout67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was backing out of an unevenly paved parking spot a couple years ago. My right leg hit a low spot, and it started to go over. I did my best to save it, but couldn't. The bottom of the right saddle bag got some minor scratches, as did the potato gun exhaust pipe.

The bracket that holds the right footpeg broke too. I ordered a new one off of bikebandit.com for about $150 or so.

I do agree. It is a top heavy bike, but if I was a little better prepared, I could have saved it from falling over.

I also had it roll off the kickstand after I first got it, and had to file an insurance claim. The total parts & labor was over $4k.

:huh
  18. NuckaMan

NuckaMan Space Available

Oddometer:
    Anyone running the Horizon Bars from Helibars? Thinking about dropping the serious coin for a setup....looks like it will be the ticket for long-haul comfort.

Also part of the droppers club. Did a 0MPH one in a parking lot. Only very minor surface damage to mirror and bags.

If they made the bike a little more narrow, it would help with low-speed management for folks anyone less than 34" inseam.
  19. jub jub

jub jub frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer:
    Wow, sounds like buying a set of front and rear crash bars might be a good investment. :eek1
  20. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    It's not top heavy, surprisingly well balanced for a big bike.

A good portion of your fuel is under the seat.

Fuel injection is so smooth, it's a breeze at low speeds to maneuver.