The Dorsoduro Thread

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Yooper-at-heart, Feb 4, 2010.

1. boylit

boylit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Notes on the DD1200, consumption and range (S mode + ATC 1)
    On the highway going a near constant 150kph : 5.8 l/km
    In the mountain passes : 6.6 to 7.1 l/km depending on how playful I get
    In the traffic hell of Metro Manila : 10.8 to 11.2 l/km
    Fuel light comes on around 10 liters from full.

Does this improve after the 1000 service???

Sent from my Casio Calculator Watch using Tapatalk
  2. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Holy sh$t, you better hope it does.
    :D
  3. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey boylit, are you fishing with that rifle?
  4. boylit

boylit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's the local guy catching our breakfast...

I need to correct the mileage it's liters per 100 kms

Sent from my U1 using Tapatalk 2
  5. IHBlarp

IHBlarp n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello DD'ers I'm new to the forum and this thread is great! I have read the entire thing and there is A TON of good information here. I've been drooling over the Dorso and/or shiver for about a year, just trying to get the funds/balls to pull the trigger. I think the dorso is the winner though.

I'm a total squid to the road bike scene, I've been on dirt bikes both trail and motocross pretty much my entire life but now want something fun for commuting, general stress relief and occasional weekend adventures (hopefully 2 up with the wife but we'll see).

Anyway, my main question is how many miles have you all gotten on your 750's? I've been looking at a couple bikes locally (seattle) both '09's with ~10k on the clock. I don't really know if that is a lot, and other than the instrument fogging are there any other issues I should be looking for?

Cheers to you guys and this forum, it has been very educational!
  6. boylit

boylit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Aprilia comes out to play...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    boylit, It is nice to see others taking the DD to the dirt. They are pretty rigid, but capable none-the less.

10K isn't much miles. Prices for that should be around $6,000-ish, maybe more if it has aftermarket exhaust?

The DD is a great short tour bike, and does fine 2-up. I switched to the 2009 Shiver pegs (rubber coated) because the OEM pegs were chewing up my wife's shoes. :lol3 Together, we weigh about the same as the bike.

The other issue is the water pump. They tend to have a rattle like marbles when cold. If you can't hear it from the left side of the bike, it is normal. If it gets loud, it is time for a new pump. No big deal really, but something to factor in.

BTW, you may not be a squid. Check this out:

squid (noun): 1. a rider who shoots forward full speed at every opportunity, but slows to a snail's pace in corners. 2. a sea creature that travels in short bursts.

noob (noun): 1. someone who just bought their bike. 2. someone who just joined advrider.com

Welcome to the asylum!
  8. boylit

boylit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only issue I had was the lack off grip when the earth got too soft... Waiting for a reply from my dealer if he can get me a set of tkc80 tires.

9. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    You are hard core! I think you'll be the first to mount the 180 wide TKC on the Dorsoduro if you do it. Be careful removing those chicken strips. :eek1

If you can't get the TKC's, I have been fairly happy with the Pirelli Scorpion Trails. Grip is improved, but not a true off road tire. They are excellent on pavement, though. They also come in 190 width for more lean angle.
  10. boylit

boylit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not even close to hard core...

I'm just hoping this doesnt happen again (was on my KTM 620)... Cant imagine digging the DD1200 out...

[​IMG]

11. Thousand Suns

Thousand Suns Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
  13. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't believe that you made it that far in that mud hole!
  14. boylit

boylit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sometimes you get a view and realize you're where you're meant to be...

[​IMG]

15. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Holy wide shot, Batman!
  16. boylit

boylit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Installed Puig's windscreen and took it for a short test ride last night.

It moved the wind blast from mid torso to shoulder height at 100kph. The wind flow is nicely smooth too.

Installation's a snap but I used stainless allen bolts instead of the included standard ones. The brackets are very nice looking and the screen itself looks ok on the bike.

Pricey at 200USD including shipping but happy with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The technician the local Aprilia dealer sent over was nice to deal with too.

[​IMG]

17. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Home visits from a lovely technician....you're one lucky dude!
  18. mkviz

mkviz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to test one out on Sat. In San Francisco. Pretty nice
  19. Stewart5533

Stewart5533 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those bikes are nice.
  20. High Country Herb

Oddometer:
    Anything new with you DD owners? Mine got laid down (gently) this last weekend.

My wife has her learner's permit, and is practicing on the Honda XL600 mostly, and sometimes on the Aprilia. We have some angled intersections near our house that require setting your right foot down (left sloping uphill stop signs), so a rider is forced to use the front brake and throttle at the same time.

Since she can't kickstart the 600, we figured it made more sense to use the Aprilia to practice taking off on slopes. We found a good parking lot that had no side slope, just the uphill. During one attempt, she stalled it and couldn't stop it from falling (away from me). She used every bit of strength she had to keep it from slamming down, and the DD only received a tiny scratch on the mirror. :clap With all of the off road riding I do, I've never been too particular about little dings and scratches. I figured it would happen sooner or later, so it bothered her more than me. I cheered her up with some advrider jokes pretty quickly.

She eventually got fairly good at taking off using the rear brake, but only had a couple of successful attempts using the front brake and throttle at the same time. She drives a manual trans car, so she's pretty good at being easy on the clutch. It helped that we had our intercoms on so I could tell her to give it more throttle/less brake, or whatever, but she did do a pretty good wheelie once (in "rain" mode, no less). I don't know if I am a very good instructor, but my main goal is to make sure she's having fun, and doesn't feel like her skill are under a microscope for inspection.

I think the next step is to replace the old '83 XL600R with an electric start dual sport that has better gearing for a new rider. I will miss the beastly 600, but I think a 1994-1996 Suzuki DR350SE should work for my single track riding, as well as being a good starter bike for her.

What say you?