Trail Tricks

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by bobzilla, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    I dont usually do unsolicited commentary on business I deal with but I have to make an exception for Trail Tricks

I have read of Javier's talents and decided to give him a try on my 09 690. He called and asked more questions after reading my form which was pretty detailed. Some have said that communications are a bit difficult but I found him to speak MOTORCYCLE very well .:rofl His helper Guerillmo is also very helpful and returns calls promptly.

I had him do what ever he needed to my forks and shock. It wasn't cheap but I figure you get what you pay for most of the time. This time I was wrong. I got more than I hoped. I am not saying there is no more room for improvement but I think all the rest can be dialed in. This shit is SWEET.

Stock the forks were harsh and deflected in rocks and both the front and rear sucked in the whoops. I know 690 in the whoops??? WTF am I thinking but I ride this like a dirt bike. Last weekend was the first time I was really able to test the new boingers and did so on a Hare Scrambles course that had 300 riders do 2 laps on a couple of months ago. It was very whooped out with lots of braking and acceleration chop. Really no smooth left in the 40 mile loop. I was able to ride the bike at a pace just below that I do on my Husaberg 550 and its at least 60 lbs lighter. The shock packs a little bit on long whoops sections but the rest of the time it is GREAT. Forks are some of the best I have had. That says alot .. Ive ridden Hamels Bike and Dicks , Acme, Procircut, Race tech, and Factory Connection, Javier has them beat ,this set up is awesome. Many times I have gotten stuff back that I just could never dial in . Javier answered calls from me setting it up and is a really nice guy to deal with. His prices on other stuff are also good and shipping is fast.

Trail Tricks, Thanks for good product and great service

Hey Did you get my tank bolts yet? lol
  2. wachs

wachs just passin' through

Oddometer:

+1 on all that. Javi did the motor on my 525 and it's as good (or maybe better) than new.
  3. trailtrick

trailtrick goat trail rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob , ship those bolts tuesday , heck i got theme tuesday .
    Also thanks for those GPS tracks ,their are very helpfull
  4. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Javier did the suspension (and a few other things) on my old, slow '94 DR350.

It is FANTASTIC. Supple, plush, yet resistant to bottoming. Great feedback. I find it easier to ride in the rough stuff than my '09 450EXC, which beats me up.

Zero complaints, always prompt communication. Prices were totally reasonable. Javier is the man.

I would recommend him 110%. I'm getting him to do the motor on the same bike this year. Hey, I have to spend my line of credit on something. :evil

dc
  5. bobzilla

bobzilla Dirty Old Man

Oddometer:
    Javi
    sent you some more busniess from the e coast. He wants his the same as mine but I think he is about 15lbs lighter. btw the forks are maybe the best Ive had, shock I need to fiddle with a bit but man the harder I ride it the better it is
    Thanks
  6. trailtrick

Oddometer:
    That is the idea ,improve you skills and comfort level.
    I took to Kevin allready, thanks ,play with the h/s on the shock from 1 to 2 turns out and see
  7. OlDirt58

OlDirt58 Pucker bush dodger

Oddometer:
    I have had Javier and company work over the suspension on my Yamaha WR250 R enduro. Now keep in mind that this particular bike comes a bit on the heavy side and being slated a "dual sport/ enduro" I was not expecting much for quality parts in the suspension or performance, and quickly learned that the bike will do a lot, just not very good. Then I noticed that Javier at Trail Tricks purchased one of these and was testing (R&D).
    So, I decided he was the guy, and after I called for prices, thought, that is not as expensive, as I have heard what others are paying elsewhere. My thought was that these are really bad quality shocks and you can't work miracles with them. Well, that's what I get for thinking, Trail Tricks turned my heavy wallowing unbalanced bike to a near true dirt bike. Balance and control is so much more than I had hoped for. No regrets, and was a bargain for the price, worth much more. All the guy's at the shop are great, easy to talk to and will listen to what "you" say you want.

Very satisfied.
    Thanks
  8. trailtrick

Oddometer:
    Thanks, glad you like it .
  9. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I think I've finally convinced Rinconrider to pony up and get you to fix the suspension on his WRR. I've had enough watching him bounce around the trails, front end washing out unpredictably, back end slapping him in the ass on every whoop. :lol3

Trailtricks is a great shop. Personal, high quality service, fair prices, good guys. An awfully rare thing these days.

:thumb

dc
  10. KTMforget

KTMforget Long timer

Oddometer:
    I concur. Great service and an excellent suspension Guru. He did the suspension on my 520 and transformed it. He also completely reworked and lower the suspension on my wife's 990 (so she could flat foot it) and she absolutely loves it. Best suspension she has ever had.

Can't wait for Javier to do the suspension on my 950 Super Enduro next month. Right before it take it to Baja for "TESTING"!!
  11. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    Javier's got both my 530 & SE at his shop, both bikes getting the full trailtrick make over treatment! Looking forward to testing out his majic! He has worked wonders for me in the past plus he is a great guy to ride with. He loves what he does and is passionate about it. One great thing about Javier is that he is a great rider and uses this knowledge in his practice. I will post up some picks and a report when I get my babys back next week!
  12. trailtrick

Oddometer:
    How those bike work for you Sito ??
  13. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:

Well all I can review right now is the 950SE, All I can say is this bike is incredible! I'm very very happy with the work Trail Tricks has done. The bike suspension is amazing, I'm a big dude 240lbs and I was pushing this bike to see what it could do and I was not disappointed, 100% improvement above the stock set up. Bike feels great, soft when you want it firm when you need it. The bike handles and feels like a little bike. The money I spent was justified in the first ride: 60/70 mph down a dirt road, came over a blind hill and found 2' deep ruts crisscrossing the road in front of me.:eek1 Normally I would have grab the brakes and most likly ended up in a pile in the ruts, instead I hit the gas and the bike sucked up the ruts with out batting and eye. The guy behind me was not so lucky!:cry

If you have an SE or ADV send it in for the full Trail Tricks make over, you will not regret it!

Things Javier did:
    1. suspension
    2. ceramic coated the ex-pipes
    3. 2 into 1
    4. de smog
    5. jetting
    6 heated grips (nice clean install)
    7. 16t sprocket
    8. Help me get my seat done!:evil
    9. shark fin
    10. pre filter
    11. Flex bar and hand guards
    12. race prep set up!

Taking out the 530 this weekend can't wait to play with this one!
  14. sam_wilson

sam_wilson Adventurer

Oddometer:

Still can't understand a word the guy is saying AND he's now out of business...how does THAT happen to a guy that's supposed to be SOOO good ?
  15. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    Javier is a great guy. You just haven't smoked enough pot to understand him.

He is the KING of suspension. Just not business here in the USA. but ride and hang out with him is to know him.
  16. sam_wilson

sam_wilson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know about being the "king" as you put it as there are alot of people out there that are very good at what they do. I do know that there are more complaints about the guy than there are satisfied customers.
  17. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    So I suppose you don't believe Paul is the king of big screen TVs either....:D
  18. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    Really. Care to substantiate that remark. Pretty harsh without something to back it up.

Please do make your case. Or delete the comment.
  19. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    I'll offer one. (2011) I WAS going to buy a XR650L off of him. He knew I was driving up 80+ miles to look at it. It had carb problems that was not a quick fix. It had a "hot cam" installed I asked about the longevity of the cam. He said it was fine. After riding the bike, Javier said he would have to work on the carb issue. 4 weeks later carb still not sorted out. Not long after he sold the bike with another cam installed.

Towards the end he was focused on things besides his business. I have heard stories of the guys working for him that I won't post here. Lets just say that if Javier was the one that did the work it was done right. If his guys did the work.....not so much.

On the other hand years earlier Javier installed a pumper on my XR400. (2008) When I got the bike back it ran like a scalded dog.
  20. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

I've experienced his tuning and was less than impressed. Ad to that his unreliable nature and you're well served to consider some of the other suspension shops around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.