ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. bill1960

bill1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try the phone number on his website, I got through to him ok yesterday.

Discussed various light options as I wondered if a spot/flood combination would be best.
    He reckons no great advantage in that.
    Apparently the model 60 led is a wide beam flood which, combined with the dimmer, is the best allround option that will fit our OEM shroud.
  2. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    I know San and have seen his products in action. First class fella and some real cool lights. You can't go wrong with one of his setups :deal.
  3. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered one of these Profill filters for my new bike and new tank (both of which I have not picked up yet) on 4/13/13 and surprisingly it has already arrived. It is utterly amazing how quickly this thing made it here from Australia. It would have been delivered yesterday but since I was not home, I had to go pick it up at the Post Office. Amazing service! I did not expect it to show up for at least another week.
  4. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The wide beam, flood is also what the Baja Designs Squadron has installed. Did he mention why he did not think the spot would add any benefit? Any news on why the difference in the electrical draw pulled from BD and ADV Monster lights?
  5. bill1960

bill1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FTB
    Have a look at the following thread starting from post 3335
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607184&page=223

In our phone conversation he told me that the model 60 led beam pattern is good enough that adding a spot doesn't add much benefit. I took that at face value seeing as he's selling me less with that advice.
  6. team ftb

team ftb Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the link Bill - When we get our bikes side by side it'll be interesting to see if there are any noticeable differences in the light thrown between the BD and Sanjoh's set-up.

Just got the Faast Flexx bars and Pauls HDB guards delivered. Hacksawing the bars narrower with the broken arm will be fun:D.
  7. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested in knowing if any of you are using Rekluse's on your 500's and which model?
  8. h2oplayer

h2oplayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 450xcw 2013 and went with the core exp. I am amazed at how well it works. Install was a breeze and it took very little to get it dialed in. Try and find someone in your area that has this set up who will let you ride it. Just be ready to breakout your wallet.
  9. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    My friends have 350's and have different models on them.One with a Pro and the other with a exp. What I was most concerned about was the extra horsepower the 500 has. One of the Rekluse's you remove a friction plate or two.
  10. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Core EXP 2.0 :freaky
  11. h2oplayer

h2oplayer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The core exp 2 uses all the plates. I get plenty of tire slip :lol3 when I want it but no issues on clutch slip. You can also upgrade the Belleville spring from the stock 250psi to the 280psi. I had picked up the 280 to install but have not felt the need to open the clutch back up and install it.
  12. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't have a 500 until next month, but used the Z-start on my 530. After riding the 300 with EFM auto clutch since 02, I can say Rekluse has it down, and some of the first things I will put on my 500 will be the full core exp and lhrb.
  13. Jonathan75

Jonathan75 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I admit i have not spent alot of time searching this thread, but I was wondering if any one had any input on riding any distance at all on this bike? I was talking to the dealer and he did not seem very confident at all about riding these very far on pavement. Any and all opinons would be very helpful, or if someone could point in the right direction to look.
  14. wsmc831

wsmc831 Long timer

Oddometer:
    'Riding any distance' or 'riding very far' depends on ones point of view.

How often do you want to change the oil? Think 150hr top end, a valve check every 50 hours or so. It's not a streetbike, it's a dirtbike that is legal to ride on the street.
  15. Mifune

Mifune Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Street riding the 500 EXC? I've ridden the 20 miles or so on the freeway between my dealer and home a couple if times. Not as bad as you might expect, but still pretty awkward, mostly because of the tires. I would not shy away from this as a way of connecting the trails, but I definitely would not want to commute to work on it, quite aside from the maintenance schedule.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Twin-air now makes these too
    http://www.twinair.com/usa/twin-air-fuel-filters
  17. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:

These guys say it all. I just finished a nice 125 mile ride with about 20 miles of pavement.... I hate the pavement...even twisty country roads...but its necessary to get to the "good stuff" where the 5hunny does what it was designed to do... ride off road...

This is NOT a commuter scoot.... especially for around 9K...
  18. fasteddie23

fasteddie23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey MJ-

I ordered these parts up and they were not plug and play for me. The plug fit into the factory plug/harness but would not snap into place. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks.
  19. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 500EXC finally arrived at the dealer today so I picked it up and assembled it. Just finished cruising around the neighborhood with it.

This thing is going to be so much fun!!! :lol3
  20. MJG2

MJG2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just install the rubber cavity plugs in the round holes where wires would come through - that provides weather seal

then push the new ( male) plug into the bike harness ( female) until the wire clip on that same plug ( female) is past the two tabs on side of male plug

basically snaps in and locks- might need to push hard to seat