Motorcycle Riding after Hip Replacement

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by custmmc, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:

Fantastic news! The more thorough you are with your PT regimen now, the better and more complete your recovery will be.
    Hockey's gonna be a lot of fun this winter..............:deal Imagine being able to throw a nice, hard hip check without wincing in pain.
  2. calgaryjeff

calgaryjeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Imagine the surprise of the boor bastard that gets hip checked by the goalie!!!

Feeling great...Doc said the X-Ray looked so good that I can start to transition to Full Weight Bearing as I can tolerate....
  3. Bigger Al

Oddometer:
    :poser

I'd do it just for the fun of it.:evil
  4. calgaryjeff

Oddometer:
    The mere fact that I could skate out and catch him puts a big smile on my face
  5. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Metal on Metal (MOM) Hip Resurfacing Nov 24th, 2008. I was what they refer to as a perfect candidate for Hip Resurfacing. This usually includes good bone stock and a thin amount of cartilage still left between the ball and socket. Once it reaches bone on bone, it's usually a Total Hip Replacement. 51 years old at surgery date. I wore it out from sports (Rugby mostly), self employed life, (Glazier) lots of lifting, genetics.

I chose the Birmingham system and the component rep was in the operating room as I was being prepped. He also pointed to the x-ray and commented on the condition of the existing ball and socket. I wanted the large diameter ball as well, for it mimics the natural anatomy and mechanics better than most Total Hip. This is why I went with Resurfacing

You can now get a large ball with Total Hip. If you didn't know, normal Total Hip is a smaller diameter ball and socket, so dislocations are more common....even during sex....however a lot of sedentary Seniors get them and they are not as active as most of us are. (I meant in sports)

One of the best recommendations I had was to get a Lazy Boy (up on blocks of course) and I learned that you can back into it with your walker with the foot pad extended out (at home right after surgery) and sort of fall into it. I also slept many nights in the Lazy Boy as it felt most comfortable.

My P/T had Total Hip and he does a lot of work with local professional athletes (Vancouver Canucks etc) so he had actually invented a lot of routines and exercise for hip surgery. I was in good hands, to say the least.

I discovered a reaction to Hydro-Morphone and had to switch to Percocet. HM made me dizzy and weak and was not stopping any bone pain post-op. My temperature was shooting thru the roof too.

Get all the pre-op work done in your home, like a raised toilet seat, raised couch, bed etc, walker, crutches, sock installer, clothes picker and most important, a male urinal so you can piddle in the middle of the night without stumbling to the bathroom. I had 2 of them. (on e-bay now....ha)

I was at the driving range at 6 weeks (hitting the driver too) ice skating at 8, light jogging at 3 months. Now I am riding my R1150RS which has high pegs so I am in a bit of a squat position for long rides. It actually feels pretty good. I am going to give it a full year before trying to resume everything I did before. I would think that being fit and not overweight helped with my speedy recovery.

Metal Ions...apparently giving blood on a regular basis is the trick for this. The local blood clinic says they absolutely take blood from hip surgery clients with Metal on Metal components. This way you help the metal ions exit your body .

If you consider Hip Resurfacing, try http://www.surfacehippy.info Many great links, stories, tips, FAQ etc.
  6. calgaryjeff

Oddometer:
    day 1 of back to work. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since the surgery. Feeling great. a little tired walking form the car to the office but I figure that a decent walk will helpp the recovery.

Ventured to the beach last weekend. About 100 yards of sand to the water but I made it. Feet god wet so I can say I was in the ocean less than 3 weeks after my hip replacment.

:freaky
  7. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Landis has Resurfacing, not THR and I think they too were the Birmingham components.
  8. doctor_big

doctor_big Rode hard and put up wet

Oddometer:
    I go in for the first of two replacements this Tuesday. Getting the "Minimally Invasive" procedure. Getting kinda nervous, but I know it's gonna be worlds better after I get it done.

Wish me luck, guys!

Jason
  9. Bigger Al

Oddometer:
    Good luck, Jason!! Being nervous is perfectly normal, but the difference afterwards will be astounding.
    Keep us informed on your progress.:thumb
  10. Bigger Al

Oddometer:
    He does have the Birmingham System, and his story was one of the biggest factors in me deciding to push for having that done myself. I figured that if it worked so well for a professional cyclist, then they should be just fine for a 270-pound tire guy.:lol3
  11. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will do fine, just remember to have all of your house prep done, have someone to drive you home and be available for you for the first few days at home. It sounds like THR if the minimally invasive method is being used.

Here is a press release on this method, seems to be pioneered by the surgeon that did my procedure:

VGH Surgeons Lead National Study on Minimally Invasive Hip Surgery

It's hard to imagine a large, solid mass of a hip joint being replaced through minimally invasive surgery (MIS). But a team from the Centre for Hip Health at Vancouver General Hospital and Vancouver Coastal Health Research Institute has perfected this technique and will lead a multicentre national study to determine if minimally invasive hip surgery can produce better health outcomes for patients.

A traditional hip replacement requires an 8-12 inch incision, which results in a significant amount of blood loss, damage to skin, muscle, and bone, and prolonged recovery period. The minimally invasive procedure is done with a single 3-inch incision, but more importantly with less muscle damage once inside the hip.

The study, a randomized clinical trial at seven hospitals across the country, will be led by the VGH Division of Reconstructive Orthopaedics, with Dr. Clive Duncan, Head of the Department of Orthopaedics at VGH and the University of British Columbia, as the principal investigator. Approximately 200 patients will be enrolled; their procedures will be compared to assess the recovery rates, improved functional outcome, enhanced quality of life and satisfaction, as well as evaluate the economic impact of the two different techniques.

The Division of Reconstructive Orthopaedics at VGH, part of the new VGH Centre for Hip Health & Musculoskeletal Research, is a leader in this field and has established the Vancouver MIS Joint Replacement Training Institute (in partnership with VGH's Centre of Excellence for Surgical Education and Innovation, as well as Zimmer Inc., an implant manufacturer in the US) to train surgeons from across Canada and the United States in minimally invasive hip and knee replacement techniques.

The "Vancouver Method" of this MIS hip replacement has recently been demonstrated in a live telecast to an international audience of orthopaedic surgeons in the US and the UK. It will again be demonstrated via another live telecast from VGH OR to the national Orthopaedic Update conference on Thursday, May 5 at the Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel in Vancouver. This telecast will also be transmitted to Uganda, for the first ever demonstration of the MIS hip replacement procedure in Africa.
  12. Dirtnadvil

Dirtnadvil Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats up with all of you guys from Canada getting new hips?:lol3
  13. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:
    From packing around the blocks of ice when we build our Igloos. Have you ever tried lifting those things? Our winters as well...10 months of winter and 2 months of poor skating. :D
  14. calgaryjeff

Oddometer:
    Good luck Jason. You will be surprised how quickly afterwards you'll be feeling great. Within a week of having my first one done I was far and away feeling better than I had for years before. I am just over 3 weeks since the second one and I feel terrific. Mowed the lawn yesterday and then spent the whole day at a music festival....lots of walking up and down hills. And unlike yours, I went with the BHR so I have a pair of scars between 10" and 12" and it's ture......chicks do love scars....

:freaky
  15. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. doctor_big

doctor_big Rode hard and put up wet

Oddometer:
    I'll report in 5 days when I'm back home . Thanks for the support guys!

Jason
  17. calgaryjeff

Oddometer:
    Today is day 28. Jason, you are going to feel sooooo great once the incision heals. You are going to be surprised at the difference.....
  18. Bigger Al

Oddometer:
    Today marks one year since I put the crutches down and started walking pain free. Life. Is. Good.:freaky
  19. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    I think that press release is fairly old, however the VGH/UBC Division of Orthopaedics have the minimally invasive procedure down to a fine art.

The famous Dr Duncan did mine back on March 02/09 using the MIS procedure, uncemented parts and a large femoral head. Works like new:D and apparently good for 25 years.
  20. BMR

BMR Long timer

Oddometer:

Dr Duncan did mine too, resurfacing. Sounds like you have THR? You don't have hybrid fixation? Bone growth fixation for the stem as well as the cup? Did you have to pay extra for the large ball component?