Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Has anyone adapted a generic heat shield for their FMF Powerbomb header?......I wear shorts a lot which exposes my inner right leg to heat since my knee guards dont cover everything.....
  2. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

Looking forward to a ride report. When you left our boat shop on Coeur d'Alene lake, Rick's bike wasn't charging. Did he get it resolved?
  3. Machtig

Machtig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sporting the Thumper Racing Big Bore, not Athena. I'm running a Power Commander USBIII with a custom Thumper Racing map.

The ignition switch is in the stock location. I only moved the instrument cluster. I did have to cut the stock mount off but I don't ever plan on going back to stock, so no biggie in my book. If I do, I'll just buy a new mount I just didn't want to have to deal with those tamper proof bolts right now.
  4. DingWeed

DingWeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sandman saver-----13tooth

All my fault...It felt like I was just spinning the rear tire.

Several rocks bound up between engine case and sprocket......It took about an hour with a tire iron to free the chain!!!.....(that is removing the mud and rocks) Sandman casesaver and guard is great!

Scott
  5. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    Thanks a million for all the help!!!:clap :clap

No...He just kept both of the batteries charged up. He could get about 1 and a half days of riding out of 1 battery.

You guys were tripsavers!!!:clap :clap

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

Scott
  6. Dave37

Dave37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I've been wanting one of these forever. I have kept up with this thread since it started. Am I crazy for wanting to trade my VFR in for a WR?

One of the biggest things I was worried about was not being able to take longer trips on the smaller 250. It is obvious this bike is capable of any long trip you guys can throw at it. I am no longer worried about that. I would definitely miss the VFR, but I can get another one later down the road...
  7. kyns

kyns Long timer

Oddometer:

Same here, not worried, 6000+ miles, no problems. Will NOT be buying a back up pump... $$$ If mine breaks, oh well. I have run mine allmost empty many times this summer and it's been really hot here.

If it is heat related. Maybe having Safari tank increases the chances of having a pump go bad. The right side/wing of Safari tank is right behind the radiator. A lot of heat comes true there. Does Safari have that aluminium foil/foam heat shield under it either? Safari tank is allso completely exposed to sun. The stock tank is allmost completely covered by the side shrouds.
  8. Leipo

Leipo '08 wr250r

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about raising the stock instrument cluster since I can't see it very well with my raised handlebars and IMO+MD roadbook combo (they create a kind of tunnel effect)

did you run into any problems? are the wires long enough or did you have to reroute/lenghten them? is cutting the mount needed or only if you fit that bigass light? :evil

btw: my pump made a different sound priming the other day (it was louder), should I be worried? 08 wrr and don't know the build date (since that isn't on the VIN plate here in Europe...)
  9. Machtig

Machtig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, if you don't go with the bigass light, no need to move the mount, just unbolt the cluster and move it. The wires are plenty long enough. I still need to clean up the wiring a bit and tie it down, but there is plenty of length to move it.

FWIW, I'm running my pump till it blows chunks. Then I'll replace it. I've got an '08 build and about 5k miles, no issues yet.

One thing that is rarely mentioned here, but these bikes need a good ground to operate correctly. I had a very slightly loose negative terminal connection and it caused all sorts of weird things to happen with the bike. Make sure your battery terminals are tight. :deal
  10. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:

Cable to battery or cable to frame connection?

11. DingWeed

Oddometer:
    IMHO the "fuel pump problem" is too much ethanol in the fuel!!

We had some problems in north Idaho and a bike mechanic turned us on to Star Brite Star-Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment. It did help!! The only problem was that I did not have any more of it the closer I got to home!! I picked up some today,treated my fuel, and have been riding around Tucson with no problems at all!!!!!

To the best of my knowledge,there is no ethanol in Tucson gas, in the summer months because this is what happens when you have too much ethanol and temps are high!!

I would suggest getting some Star-Tron and see if that works!!

Just my opinion.......I am not looking for an argument!

Scott
  12. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The UPS man just delivered my new fuel pump:freaky
  13. bhmax

bhmax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Regarding ethanol and the Japanese fuel pump recall, does Japan have ethanol in their gas?
  14. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Uhh... recall?
  15. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there was a recall in Japan for the early '08's.

btw - my pump showed up today, too :clap
  16. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    The folks that have had problems, what were the temperatures when the symptoms were noticed? If it was cold or cool, were the symptoms noticed during slow speed, high temp lugging?

Any one with a known or suspected failure where the symptoms came on and didn't go away? It seems they are intermittent, mostly?

17. gordo5

gordo5 Roadkill

Oddometer:
    Don't know if that's true or not, but it's certainly a possible contributor. But if it is the ethanol, I'd say the "fuel pump problem" is an inadequate fuel pump for modern fuels. Ethanol is hardly new.

I got curious about the ethanol thing and did some searching. While I was mostly interested in my own area, I did find this US map of gas requirements:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/GFM/Files/US_Gasoline_Map.pdf

It's about a year and a half old, but still informative. I don't know what all the gasoline types are, but I think Oxygenated contains ethanol and I've got to believe the fuel in Cali has ethanol. Any correlation between this map and peoples failures?

My province of Ontario uses a 5% "average" ethanol content. The way that has been applied is that regular is E10 and premium doesn't contain ethanol. Mid grade is a blend of the other two, so E5. This fall new federal requirements will be for 5% as well, but I don't know if it will follow the Ontario model or just make everything E5. Haven't found that info. I also don't know how various states may vary content with fuel grades.

I haven't had a pump failure but did have one unexplained incident with the engine suddenly failing a couple of month ago. Thinking about it, there was one time a couple of months ago that I did have to buy half a tank of mid-grade (premium was out of service). Unfortunately it was too long ago for me to be sure if they coincided or not. I also haven't heard of a Canadian fuel pump failure, but I don't think there are that many Canuks posting. Also, if heat is a factor, it gets hot here, but not as much as the southern states.
  18. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
  19. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    Yep, Eline stuff is never cheap (I have a carbon Eline skid plate on my KTM)- thanks for the link.......have you noticed much yellowing of the carbon fiber from the heat? Good heat dissipation?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  20. simonpig

simonpig droppin' jewels

Oddometer:
    I've only had it on for about 300 miles, so I can't speak to the yellowing. The heat is only slightly better. Jet hot coating or ceramic is probably the best performer.

I like the eline cause it just looks like a gaping hole without it and shudder to think the day my leg gets trapped under that header. I burned many a pant on it, not to mention a camelbak strap.