New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    It is all in your head :)

[​IMG]

I just ordered koubalink 1" myself
  2. Chris 690R

Chris 690R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are they 690's?

Cool!
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Does anybody know how much offset the 2012 690 Enduro models are running in the triple clamps? I think it was KTMmitch that posted it was increased from the previous 22-24mm, and axle clamp offset reduced, in order to gain more steering lock.

A guy on another forum wants to put on a set of full travel closed cartridge forks so he would probably have to switch to the older triples.
  4. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:

I'm 5'9" and a 1 inch Kouba link worked for me. I had to cut the sidestand, though. The only place I needed it lower was parking lots and foot dabbing in the city. I'm still tippy toe but no problem if I'm mindful. At least it's light enough to pull it back when she starts going over on me. I'd just step off my 950 and let her go.
  5. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do you think the foil came from? Part of the pump or....?????
  6. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I've spent all day giving my new Ginger some TLC. She be nekked and all in pieces. :lol3
    I just pulled all my fuel tank inners. I expect to install a CACW pump tomorrow. Preventive. I noticed one of those plastic tubes was kinked. Is there any reason to leave all those lines vs replacing with hose? I guess they would less likely deteriorate.

Part of my plan was to relocate the fuel filter to the outside of the tank. Replace with metal one. Anybody got pics of where they relocated theirs? Did you just put it up where the present disconnect is?
  7. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    450RRs. However, the angle that photo was taken at makes it all a bit deceptive, Riaan and Darryl are both average lads, neither is really small.
  8. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have a 690 coming to me in the next few days :clap i read about the tank bolts and seen the offering from various vendors but the prices seen quite excessive....:eek1 for a few bolts.

Any reason why I cant just replace the originals wiith stronger bolts ?

i also believe the tank bushes are part of the problem, i heard some one makes replacements - who? or where on the tank are the bushes?
  9. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    This is what I'm doing to my lower mount. I have the RR upper coming from KTMtwins. Should be here tomorrow. :D
    When I went to remove the existing bushing I found one side was locked in place. Had to put the other side bolt back in and use an impact to break it loose. Using a single bolt eliminates that possible issue.
  10. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep saw that post now.. ill have a look when i get it and go from there.
  11. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of people changing the lower tank bolt (good idea) but not too many people changing the bushings themselves. My lower bushings were sloppy as all hell by the time I hit 3k miles so I replaced them with Delrin bushings that I purchased from "partmaker" in the vendor's forum here on ADV. Absolutely no slop in the 9k miles since!

12. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of throwing some shrink tubing on mine to shim them up.

Sent from outer space with my Thunderbolt with Tapatalk.
  13. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UPDATE

On my simple fix, I just ordered a few grade 8, 5/16" bolts (Amazon) to replace the softer bolt I bought locally.

Cheers,

MrHix
  14. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    You just saved me a trip to Lowe's.
    I can get grade 8 from a place near my work.

Sent from outer space with my Thunderbolt with Tapatalk.
  15. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:

I could've sworn they were hobbits!
  16. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 2012 triple clamps have more offset,but to counteract the reduction in trail,they reduced the fork clamp offset,it would be better to fit the earlier triples when using EXC type forks,or the steering gets a bit "lively" on the flat,but really sharp in the tight stuff.
  17. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    I had my upper tank bolts kinda made for cheap. Ground off the threaded part ( that breaks) and had it drilled and tapped out then put in a new stronger threaded piece. So far so good and it only cost $20 to do both sides.
  18. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    There are several ways to skin this cat....I bought hardened bolts and used a Delrin shoulder to replace my stock bolts....no problems at this point....I think it was a $10 fix.
  19. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    Yes I did the same thing on the lower tank bolts also, easy fix. It was the upper ones that made me think of a cheaper (KLR) way to fix them lol.
  20. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Really liking the RR EVO2 tanks, they sure do snug in very well!

[​IMG]

The only issue I had with the install was mounting my upgraded Reg/Rect, I need to make a bracket to position it lower. My RR has plugs instead of leads, so the width is wider than the stock R/R that comes on the 690. Personally, I think it's in a better place for cooling anyway but it's also probably more prone to damage. I'll post pics when I get it sorted out!

The HDB Nav tower is great, love the simplicity and the dual Squadrons should provide plenty of light:lol3