Proper gear holder downers... (straps)

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Geolander, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Flashmo

Flashmo Whatever...

Oddometer:
    Rok Straps FTMFW.

My bike is used as a mule, so I have 3 pairs.
  2. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good Lord Jim... I know that you are kind of the resident King as far as do it yourself maintenance, but this toolkit looks to be a bit extreme for road trips--even for a GS! :rofl
  3. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    I use 1" webbing and buckles from West Marine and build exactly what I need.
  4. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Roks
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :photog

Jim :brow
  6. hayshaker

hayshaker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another military 1" webbing gear and kayaking strap user here. The ROK strap just did not secure things well enough for me when I ride off-road. The ROK stuff works fine on decent roads or when stretched really tight but I just kept losing things on rough roads and trail.

TONY
  7. Lion BR

Lion BR I'd rather be riding

Oddometer:
    To corroborate with that... I go to my local BMW dealer and for $1 I get the used straps BMWs are strapped on for their cross continent travels. If BMW trusts them, I will trust them too.

Not elastic, not rockstraps. Just a simple cinch process with strong material. Once you set it, it stays.

One negative is that they are white. I don't care. One positive is that you can cut them to the length you need.
  8. MaestroPNW

MaestroPNW Me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I make my own. Polypro webbing and whatever style of buckles I need.
  9. phoenix13

phoenix13 Banned

Oddometer:
  10. MaestroPNW

MaestroPNW Me! Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. Geolander

Geolander Scruffy Nerf Herder

Oddometer:
  12. Lamontacycle

Lamontacycle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What's the purpose of expensive elastic systems other than to give an avenue of loostening up? OK..maybe you want you tent poles and sleeping back to feel good while being cinched. If the equipment you are hauling needs elastic, you probably shouldn't be taking it along.

I make my own cam buckles at a cost of about $2.00 each. Of course this old fart uses the 'family' sewing machine more than the spouse! Favorite is a double loop. Buckle is in the middle and you have two separate straps each with a sewn, or if I'm in a hurry, figure 8 loop. The loops can go around frame members, shocks, racks, anything..one has a free end the other has the cam buckle sewn on it. Use these motorcycling, rafting, horsepacking, hauling stuff in the truck and trailer...bombproof....cheap. The buckles last forever..the sun eventually eats any nylon...cut the buckles off...run through the dishwasher..use over...

If you are worried about padding, a pad can be sewn in below the cam buckle or an old piece of inner tube..No need for a fancy covering over the strap..if you are worried about the strap collect grit, just wash them in the sink..
  13. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use H2W straps and cam buckle straps . Use these for other stuff besides motorcycles . 30 or so years and it is still the best system for my purposes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  14. DualSpaz

DualSpaz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always used this type
    http://www.eadoffroad.com/safari-straps-cam150-1-inch-nylon-cam-buckle-tie-down

Strong enough to use as a tow strap, and can be adjusted to any length.
    Also, this is what Triumph uses to hold new bikes down in the crates. Go by your local Triumph dealer and they would probably just give you some.
    At the two Triumph dealers I worked at they just got thrown away, unless I took them
  15. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    These are nothing but over price Voile Ski Straps.. http://www.amazon.com/Voile-Straps-...F8&qid=1372968449&sr=8-1&keywords=voile+strap you can get them in many lengths... more than on that Amazon listing.

+1 on RokStraps however. They just work better than anything else. I have been strapping crap to backpacks, rafts, kayaks, motorcycles etc for decades.. and they just synch down better. Plus the loop ends make them for versatile than straight cam buckle straps. I have boxes cam straps, voile straps, etc. and all I ever reach for is the RokStraps.
  16. Squarehead

Squarehead Crazed Lunatic

Oddometer:
    Big Sky Country, you should see my backyard
    OK So why not 1" ratchet straps. I can really compress the soft stuff (only soft stuff on top....), and they have never come loose. I will also use a bungee back up on the load.

Always two methods of securing the load. One breaks you do not lose anything :evil:evil:evil
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Because compressibles compress, and non-compressibles tend to be very difficult to get enough tension on.

Cheap people, or stubborn people will never know the utility of ROK Straps because they won't try them. Instead they insist on any number of $0.50 dealer straps intended for one time uses.

There is no way I can convince others that their system won't work as well, and I won't try.

Jim :brow
  18. Geolander

Geolander Scruffy Nerf Herder

Oddometer:
    Got any pictures?

Rok stuff sounds pretty sweet, I wanna get my hands on some though. Gotta track some down locally.
  19. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Nrs straps.
  20. Snowbound

Snowbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My cam buckle straps weren't cheap . I lash down thousands of dollars of equipment on rafts among other things . I have had plastic buckles break over the years . I don't bend metal by pulling them too tight .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2