Bicycle thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Zodiac, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I don't see me in this, but this is Sunday's race:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/51041584?color=19e0da" width="630" height="354" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

M
  2. Brek81

Brek81 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and people look at me crazy for jumping curbs, running single track, and going down 3 steps on a cross bike :huh

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7ZmJtYaUTa0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  3. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    :bow:bow:bow:bow
  4. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    so I've got a flatbar road bike (hybrid) that has 3x8 trigger shifting, and I'm thinking of converting it to a 2x9 or 2x10... i've been doing Shimano stuff for awhile, but I'm thinking maybe I should give Sram a try... I see on their website a Via GT and Via Centro gruppo of nearly exactly what I want, targetting city and trekking bikes, but I don't see those available online anywheres.
    http://www.sram.com/sram/urban/products/via-gt

Whats the budget Sram road group I should use? A mix of Apex and S-series? I'm gonna need cranks (50-34 or 48-32 or so), shifters, cassette and derailleurs for this... and probably new wheels too (I assume I can't put a 9 or 10 speed cassette on a 8 speed freehub, eh? anyways, I eventually want to get nicer rims). The mountain groups all seem to have tiny front sprockets...
  5. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those Via groupsets are new, to me. I've been looking at putting a 2X10 MTB (42/28) crankset on my 'cross. The Via crankset might be the way to go. Hmmm.

Give these guys a call, about the Via groupsets. They can quickly pull it up and give you a price.

I think S-series/Apex mix will be about the most budget-friendly way to go.

We currently run Apex (48/34 with 12-32, for me, and 46/38 with 12-36, for her) on both our bikes. It's solid, reliable stuff. We really like it. Both our MTBs are SRAM, too.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice find!
  7. Ridge

Ridge Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Damn... beat me to it! I just watched this from a friend's link and was just astounded! What makes it even more epic is that the bike he is riding is from the TdF winner Bradley Wiggins. :huh
  8. Weirdo

Weirdo Welcome to you're "DOOM"

Oddometer:
    Took some gopro when I was in Whistler, the angles didn't work out so well but what the hell?

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/51037826" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/51037826">Whistler riding</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user12780107">Dave Weir</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  9. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
  10. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    hmm, I don't see the Via stuff in QBP's 2012 catalog at all.
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/a8e5bd2a#/a8e5bd2a/374
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/a8e5bd2a#/a8e5bd2a/400
    etc etc.

so, yeah, must be TOO new. ah well, I'm probably a year out from doing this upgrade.
  11. Aurelius

Aurelius Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the time I got SIX speeding tickets on the ride from Cardiff to London. I didn't pay a single one of them, but I wonder how much the total would have come to. :evil
  12. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    Are Shimano freehubs and SRAM cassettes fully interchangable, even in 10sp ?

do 10 speed cassettes fit on a 8 speed freehub ?
  13. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    :nod

You *may* need a spacer behind the 10sp cassette, but those're easy to come by.

M

edited to add: as long as you're talking about Hyperglide cassettes and not Uniglide cassettes
  14. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    yeah, stuff made in THIS century :)
  15. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    With you I never know

M
  16. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Gummee!" is correct, on the spacer. If the back of the cassette "spider" is flat, you'll need it. Otherwise, the "spider" will have a raised lip around the center hole, which eliminates the need for a spacer. If in doubt, your LBS can make a quick assessment.
  17. k7

k7 “Retired x OCD”

Oddometer:
    I'm very bad about taking pictures during brevets. Luckily, John Lee Ellis was kind enough to post a few from the Last Chance 1200. From JLE,

The wet beginning. I'm on the far left and my buddy David is next to me:

[​IMG]

The last turn before the finish line - three of us rode the last 35 miles together.

[​IMG]

Now I know what 1200 km/750 miles in 85 hours feels like. I was damn happy to be out of my cycling shoes too.
    [​IMG]
  18. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    and... wheels.

WE7256 Handspun Pavement Series 5 Rear Wheel 700c 36h Shimano LX / Mavic A319 / DT Champion All Silver
    WE7254 Handspun Pavement Series 5 Front Wheel 700c 36h Shimano LX / Mavic A319

(the number is QBP's PN).. those look to be a $200 'touring' wheelset. near as I can tell, Handspun is a QBP house brand for machine made wheels with a range of decent components, obviously these are at the lower end, but last I heard, Deore LX was OK stuff, as are Mavic rims (the A319 are a pinned 6106 alloy box 622x19 rim, recommended for 28 to 47mm tires, so my target range of 32-35mm should be fine... and if I get skinny and start riding farther, I can even put 28s on them).

thinking about something like this as an upgrade to my hybrid (which has noname rims and hubs), along with eventually switching from the crappy 3x8 alivio/acera/whatever to a sram apex compact 2x10... yes, I know, this ends up costing like $600

this is hte crankset I'm looking at. can be had as cheap as $116 or so, with an english thread BB.

[​IMG]
  19. Jman955i

Jman955i Falls Down A Lot

Oddometer:
    Augusta/Washington, GA....Sometimes Roanoke VA
    Well after 7 years of doing absolutely nothing as far as exercising. I have decided to get the mountain bike out and air the tyres up and try riding. I started last Thursday. I rode 10 miles and had 2 heart attacks a few coronaries and I'm not sure but I believe that I gave birth some where in there. It took me 1 hr and 51mins to ride 10 miles on flat ground. Skipped a day and road 10 miles on Saturday. not to bad I shaved it down to 1 hr and 10 mins and felt ok, besides the muscle burn and knee pain. I road 10 miles Monday and stayed in high gear the entire time with no stops forgot to carry a watch so I don't know how long it took. And it wasn't that bad at all. The only problem is my knees feel like they have ice picks jammed in them during and after. I know that the body posistion and seat height have a lot to do with this. I made sure the when my leg is in the fully extended position that it has a slight bend in it. But what else could I do or do I need to just keep pedaling and it will go away. Answers:ear
  20. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    drop the seat another 1/2" or so. stay in a lower gear so you're pedaling faster but easier, that requires more wind but less grunt, and less strain on your knees.

if that old mtn bike has knobbies on it, and you're mostly riding on bike trails and occasional hard pack, get some slicks or semi-slicks in like 26x1.75 instead of gnarlies in x2.125 or whatever you got now. for mostly pavement, run the tire pressure up near the max and it will roll easier. oh and clean and lube the chain..