iPhone Motorcycle App Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NachoRoto, Nov 15, 2010.

1. mbishara

mbishara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very interesting idea.... So I can use both apps concurrently. Use my imported GPX file on one and to see if I'm following the exact route and use the other app (or my Tom Rom App) for the turn by ten navigation....

That just might work. It'll take a bit of fiddling while riding and remove some concentration from the road though.

I'll look into that...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  2. mbishara

mbishara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The only issue is that Mation-X doesn't provide turn by turn navigation so we can import other GSX files and figure out another way.

Or I can just not import from the Greatest road app and try to mimicking it manually on my Tom Tom app.

At this point if you cannot import a GPX to GPS Drive then you cannot use turn by turn navigation so in either case you have to plot your course manually in whatever GOS app of preference that you use.

I think that I'll go that route because I don't feel like having a stand alone GPS on a separate mount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  3. dpifko

dpifko Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer:
    If you have the Navigon app, Greatest Road will recognize it. When you tap Start Ride on your favorite stretch, Navigon will magically appear as one of the options. It should fire Navigon up and allow you to start the navigation right away. As far as I know, neither Motion-X nor Motion-X Drive allow other apps to call it with multiple waypoints. That's a shame, since the app rocks and they're a local company. We're looking into doing something similar with the Google Maps app too.
  4. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On a recent tour my NOAA Hi-Def Radar app was very helpful. I could swipe the screen to look ahead of my route for ugly weather and adjust accordingly. The satellite maps are very high resolution.
    I gather that some versions use Google maps and some Apple maps but developers say their goal is to be using Google's vastly superior maps. It's not a terribly important distinction because you're looking at huge distances.
    As a vegetarian I found the Happy Cow app of limited usefulness for eating on the road. Using the location feature of the phone it's supposed to identify vegetarian restaurants in the area. It was okay in larger urban areas but about useless in smaller communities. Also, the rating system is pretty rigid, making it even less useful in the sticks.
  5. mbishara

mbishara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I also purchased the Navigon app it seems to be a very good one. Weird how I decided to purchase Navigon when I already have Tom Tom and the Motion-X and Motion-Drive. But the Navgon seems like a very good GPS and it's not about the money for the apps or the stand alone GPS. It's about the functionality that I want when I'm riding.

That being said here is what Motion-X Support told me yesterday and it works:

Yes, you can navigate to a MotionX-GPS waypoint using GPS Drive. To do so, please launch MotionX-GPS and select Menu >> Waypoints >> All Waypoints >> choose the one you'd like to navigate to >> Options >> Open MotionX GPS Drive. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

You can navigate to multiple stops (waypoints) using GPS Drive. To setup a multi-stop route, please use the following steps:

1. Start navigating to a destination by going to its address detail page and selecting the green Navigate button.
    2. Without stopping navigation, choose another destination (or import one from MotionX-GPS), again by going to its address detail page and selecting the green Navigate button.
    3. You will be asked if you want to add a stop or clear the route. Choose "Add Stop."
    4. You can add up to 9 stops to the route, for a total of 10 destinations.

Please note, the first destination you add, will always be the final destination. Stops should be added after the destination. Let me know if you experience any issues with this and I'd be happy to help.

So I tried it and it really does work very well exactly as stated. But it gets annoying adding each way point one at a time and I liked the Navigon interface.

Now apart from Navigon working well with Greatest streets from the iPHONE can it import GPX files as well? Or do I have top go to GOogle to map my route and from Google somehow import to Navigon?

I chose Navigon over Motion-X because of their really good 3d Display and traffic re-routing feature but I posted the Motion-X solution for every one else's benefit.
  6. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've recently entered the 21st Century, and scored a smart phone. . .. .(wife's work got us a deal that simply couldn't be passed up).

I've installed, and use, Outcast (which is great, kind of a crowd sourced weather forecasting deal) and Google Maps (no opinion, as I've not had a chance to put it through it's paces) . . . . .

Any apps that might come in handy to a rider (both on and off pavement)?

thanks!
  7. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    Pure gas. Greatest roads. And yelp come to mind
  8. ADVer

ADVer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I use 'around me' for finding food/lodging when on the road in a new place.

Google maps for checking traffic

Pandora for streaming music to my headphones but i have unlimited data...
  10. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    on the road I use radar now and allstays campground app.
  11. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few I find useful...
  12. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks, all . . . . I appreiacte the info!
  13. kitesurfer

kitesurfer Long timer

Oddometer:
    i still have a flip phone and i NEED a smart phone, they tell me. does any know if pandora music will connect to my scala rider Q2 bluetooth?
  14. MacG

MacG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motion X Drive GPS is handy. If you are listening to Pandora, the music will fade and the GPS voice will tell you when/where to turn.
    One of the flashlight apps can be handy as well.
  15. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to find " greatest roads" . I clicked on the link(s) and it won't take me to that particular app. Anybody....?
  16. dpifko

Oddometer:
    This link will get you to Greatest Road on an iPhone/iPod touch/iPad or a computer:

http://socialnav-inc.com/GetApp

Happy riding!

Daniel
  17. V@lentino

V@lentino V@lentino Supporter

Oddometer:
    Re. Pandora,

Any idea of the data it uses when listening to the radio, I am going to try it via BT Iphone 5 to my SMH10, I have 1Gb of data in my plan, and my daily commute is about 35 mins, so assuming I would use it uninterrupted for 1 hour per day, where would I be (ball park) in terms of data usage?

Thanks
  18. rjsurfer

rjsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry Kitesurfer the Scala Q2 has the old Bluetooth standard and will NOT connect to any smartphone via Bluetooth. I'm guessing here but you could use the earphone plug from any phone and manually go through the Scala's MP3 connector just control the volume etc. from the phones screen.

Google Maps turn by turn won't work either via Bluetooth.

Ron W.
  19. dpifko

Oddometer:
    There may be more current assessments, but here's what Salon has to say, backed up by a few real-world reports I've found: http://techtips.salon.com/much-data-pandora-radio-application-use-iphone-27061.html

In short: you can set the audio quality on Pandora, with usage moving up or down accordingly.

At 128 kbps, you'll use about 60 MB per hour, or 1.2 GB per month for a 20 day month.
    At 64 kbps (the default, and for cellular connections), it's just under 30 MB per hour, or 600 MB for a 20 day month.

Happy listening ;-).

Daniel
  20. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn Motorhead!

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, I've fond Pandora to be a bit of a pain on the bike. Sometimes it just takes forever to load between songs or flat out stops working. Just kinda frustrating if you can't play with the phone to get it working again. :lol3