2014 Toyota Tundra

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by gec343, Feb 1, 2013.

1. tkitna

tkitna "Jim Jordan 2024"

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Yuck. I was hoping they would look better, but I guess not. Thats a step backwards.
  2. Crocodile Tears

Crocodile Tears Powerful Truth Angels Supporter

Oddometer:
    :puke

that thing is brutal.

no better than the new Silverado. didnt think that was possible.

I really hope ford doesnt go the Raptor direction with the F-150s. Its nearly as bad as the new Super Dutys.

Dodge has my vote in the looks department these days. Unless we go to midsize trucks,

signed, 2012 Tacoma owner :clap
  3. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree, looks wise.

If I needed a big ass truck, I'd get the Toyota. I was made in Texas and so is the Tundra! :D

...and I think it's thE best made...
  4. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class="dg-bbcode dg-bbcode-quote">Originally Posted by fbj913 [​IMG]
    here ya go

http://new.livestream.com/Toyota/Chicago2013

vs
    http://www.bbc.com/autos/story/20130207-toyota-pickup-stagnates?OCID=fbaut

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I see Dodge styling in the interior and some of the exterior of the new Tundra ...Dodgeyota...Dodgeundra with a Jap Ford SD grille

Looks like the new Ram has leapfrogged Toyotas design goals and is available now,they had nothing to say to compete with the new Ram technology:

http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2013-ram.html
  5. gec343

gec343 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that just possibly, Toyota will make some needed changes prior to September. I sure hope they offer the 4WD with a V6.
  6. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    OK so you are all underwhelmed by the redesign. If I ever end up getting a job, I've been considering a new Tundra. It would be used basically as a family car and to tow a 2 horse bumper pull trailer every so often.

I've been thinking about what is the right vehicle for this for some time. A friend has a 02 Expedition for this same kind of use. It's got 100k on it and to put it bluntly, it's a crap box. Briefly considered a Tahoe or Sequoia, but am now leaning toward a CC pickup so hay doesn't have to be hauled in the passenger compartment.

So full size pickups... I drove a new F150 with the 5.4 and it was great. Drove a friends with 100k on it and it wasn't so great. Been hearing of problems with the ecoboost engine. Not a GM fan at all. Nissan either. Reliability is a prime concern thus considering the Tundra.

I saw a post on a snow plow thread (cant find it any more) with videos attached showing how crappy a Tundra is. Basically the tailgate bends ( I think they have solved that one by now), it might get stuck if you don't put it in 4 wheel going through a big-ass ditch (no kidding!) and the frame flexes more than a F150 on ginormous high speed stutter bumps (I don't plan on taking bumps like this at high speed if at all.). So, why should or shouldn't I consider a Tundra?
  7. Adam E

Adam E OK

Oddometer:
    I'll tell you why I wiped Tundra off my shopping list...

I was pretty excited for a new Tundra with new engines that get better fuel economy. As soon as I read that they were keeping the same engines and giving it a minor facelift and adding high-end options I went and bought an F-150 with the ecoboost.

To me if a company isn't going to innovate and at least try to get better fuel economy and add innovative TRUCK features to a truck they're just not trying to lead the market. "It's a Toyota" isn't reason enough to buy a vehicle. At least the domestics are putting direct injection, turbos, cylinder deactivation, and now even a diesel in their half tons. Everyone I know with a Tundra gets shit for mileage.

My F-150 has a 100,000 mile warranty on it and I won't keep it a day past that. In 5000 miles I'm completely happy with it (first truck I've actually enjoyed beyond an appliance) and I've been getting between 18-20mpg including moderate towing.
  8. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    I wasted some time today and watched this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FhwUO2v9LzI

Now the guy that shot the video was obviously biased toward the Ford, but it was clear that the Tundra ride on the suspension test track was really bad.

I had a F150 rental (CC, 4wd) with the 5.4 and got 19mpg on a long freeway trip, not too bad considering. it is a very comfortable, quiet truck. If I'm going to use it 75% of the time as a car, that is important.

When the time comes i'll have to get out there and drive them.
  9. spagthorpe

spagthorpe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't know if they fixed it with the new ones but the Tundra's ride on the concrete slabbed California roads was unbelievably bad. You can probably find videos of it on youtube, search for "tundra bed bounce". One ride in a Tundra and a Dodge back to back and I can promise that you wouldn't want the Tundra. Not on my local roads anyway.
  10. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was expecting Toyota to make major improvements in the new Tundra but it only got fuglier with minor refinements. I don't see any increased sales penetration into the American trucks domination.

Where was the Nissan Titan?
  11. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about a Tundra and keep hearing similar static as what is posted in this thread, makes me stop and think, that's hard:lol3

I'm not even close to a Titan fan but I saw a news clip a couple months ago that they signed a deal with Cummins for diesel power in 2015. THAT May interest me when it/if it makes it to market
  12. rob feature

rob feature pull my finger

Oddometer:

:puke2
  13. TooFast

TooFast Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had my over 500lb 4x4 quad in the back of my Tundra a bunch of times, my tailgate is fine.
    You can break or bend anything if you try hard enough.

As for the other comparison between the Dodge and a Tundra. I had a Dodge truck for a while, that was enough to cure me of ever wanting another one.
  15. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    Dodge, Ford, Nissan, and GM make good trucks, just Toyota makes a better truck. As someone who works for a Toyota dealer, I've never ever seen a Tundra in for anything major, some of our customers are pushing 300K out of their trucks. The only time I saw the 5.7L in for major repairs was when a valve went kaput and fubar'd the insides- manufacturer covered the engine completely. Can't say the same for the other 4, always have some kind of issue no matter what...

Tailgate bending? :huh What did you put in it, a Space Shuttle? :lol3

Have buddies that load their beds with 1,000lbs+ in the back just fine.

Sure I might be biased towards Toyota, being that I grew up in JDM world, and now work for them, but you cannot deny the outstanding reliability of their trucks. Also, my $0.02 is that if you're not going to regularly be pulling more than 8,000lb, then don't buy a Tundra, opt for the Tacoma. Bit smaller of a truck, just as reliable, ridiculously popular (highest re-sale value on the market, along with the Wrangler). Bit better on gas, still can pull a decent load...
  16. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    I have an '11 Tundra DC and have been very happy with it. I think the tail-gate bending issue was with some of the most recent generation Tacomas, not the Tundra, but I could be mistaken. I cannot claim to have made a lot of comparisons with Ford and Chevy and Dodge, and am not in any way wishing to disparage those brands, Nissan either. I'm just saying that my experience with the Tundra has been an excellent one. I plan to keep it long term.

And yes, the Tundra along with the Wrangler (my other vehicle) have the best resale value in the business at present.......which says something.
  17. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    I'm on my 3rd Tundra, I do all my own regular maintenance (oil, brakes, tires) and in the 14 straight years of ownership, I've never been to a dealership or mechanics shop, ever.

Flimsy? :lol3

My first one got rear ended by an F150, I had very minor damage to the bumper and tailgate.

[​IMG]

The F150 had the motor and firewall pushed up into the cab. :1drink

[​IMG]

Do I care about looks? No

Do I care about mileage? No

Do I use it for farm duty? No

Do I want to get in and drive problem free every single morning? Yes

Do I want high resale? Yes

Do I want to load up 900lbs of bikes on a straight tailgate? Absolutely. :D

[​IMG]

Listen man, go drive them all and see which one suites you the best. My experience has been nothing but positive as far as reliability goes and I drive my vehicles pretty hard. :deal

18. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    How is it that F150 was damaged across it's entire face while yours was only barely scratched on the right side?

I call bullshit.
  19. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    'cause it's a Tundra. :gdog

:lol3
  20. HOT DAMN!

HOT DAMN! ♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer:
    You are a knucklehead. :lol3