ADV Photographers - Which camera type? Premium P&S or Mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Herbivore63, May 1, 2013.

1. Herbivore63

Herbivore63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lost Rider....Great photos! Those are front page material. :clap

They certainly demonstrate that the RX-100 has the capability to take great pictures if the photographer is up to the task. I've looked at it on several occasions, but I always cringe at the thought of spending that much for a P&S. That's probably not entirely rational given it's capabilities. You make a great case for it....
  2. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    Thank very much, glad you like!

Most things, especially when "best" is used is always subjective, but going on being most compact, easy to use, and great IQ the RX is a game changer. I think it's a great camera that's fun to use and I also think it's good for us consumers because all the other camera makers will be trying to catch up and surpass the RX, jamming bigger sensors in smaller packages in the near future, giving us even more options.

Add in a magnetic polarizing filter and it's a perfect carry everywhere camera that doesn't sacrifice IQ for it's small size.

Good luck in your decision, fact is there's plenty of choices for quality cameras, only you know what's most important for your needs!

One more fun RX100 photo. :evil

[​IMG]
  3. kelsow

kelsow Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simply amazing quality. I don't see ANY pixels. Nothing at all.
  4. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it called HDR? What is it when you layer the pics called? Is the RX-100 an HDR camera?
  5. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:

Taken from Google:

HDR is short for High Dynamic Range. It is a post-processing task of taking either one image or a series of images, combining them, and adjusting the contrast ratios to do things that are virtually impossible with a single aperture and shutter speed.
    An HDR image is commonly made by taking three photos of the same scene, each at different shutter speeds. The result is a bright, medium, and dark photo, based on the amount of light that got through the lens. A software process then combines all the photos to bring details to the shadows and highlights both. This helps to achieve the same task in the final photograph that the human eye can accomplish on the scene.

There's a great HDR thread in Pics forum with nice examples of what you can do with HDR.

None of my photos posted use HDR, but the RX-100 does have built in assignable bracketing to shoot HDR photos to later process on a computer and a built in HDR mode that does the processing in camera.
    I've not really played with that function much honestly so I can't comment on it, I don't shoot HDR photos.

It does have a pretty decent built-in "miniature" effect I've used along with an illustration effect that can be fun, but I usually go for a more natural look. After shooting with simple Leica cameras without any "effects" at all this new fangled tech is something I don't know much about and am exploring.

The built in panoramic feature on the RX100 works pretty well too, but I think most new cameras have that function. I still shoot single exposure shots to combine later in Photoshop, the sand dunes photo above is from two photos combined, but it's nice to have it built in for when I'm traveling and without a laptop, just using a iPad mini for photo review and sharing. Anytime you use any built in effects on the RX100 it comes out as a JPEG since it's processed in camera, I shoot RAW files only otherwise.

Minature
    [​IMG]

illustration
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

built in panorama function:

[​IMG]

If anyone wants to pixel peep these or other RX100 photos, there's links to my smugmug gallery on my site where you can see the full res files.
  6. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it, good pics. Illustrated is way cool. Thnx.
  7. Stratlanta

Stratlanta Flabby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great, great shots Lost Rider. Excellent examples of what the RX100 can do. I'm taking it with me in a couple of weeks on a bike trip and will play with the screen brightness. Thanks!
  8. Callahan

Callahan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Olympus TG-2 iHS

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
  9. jbar28

jbar28 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After looking at some of Ghost Rider's images, there's no way I'm going to post any of mine here! Certain proof that any quality camera in the right hands can produce stunning shots. Well done! :thumb

I used to be much more concerned about image quality. I once mountain-biked all over Moab for a week with 15 pounds of Hasselbald medium format gear in a big padded fanny pack bag. I was younger, stronger, and dumber then. Now I'm more concerned with a decent image than none at all. My road trip equipment is a high-end P&S in a tank bag. For a long time a Canon G10 which was great until I killed it, and now a Panasonic Lumix LX7, which has a great wide-angle Leica lens but overal I'm still struggling to like it after 3 Canon's in a row. I think nearly any quality camera can take great shots when you take the time to set them up, it's more important to find one you're comfortable with and like the way it works. I wouldn't want to bother with changing lenses while on a ride, so something with a zoom works better for me, and I do use it in between the ends.

What I wish I could get better at is the one second grab shots, mostly while moving slowly. Shots that I don't want to stop for, either because it's not quite worth stopping for, or I'm not comfortable stopping there. I just got back from 21 days riding through Spain and Morocco, and there are lots of shots I wish I'd been able to take while on the bike. I'd settle for lower quality over no pic at all. I know a GoPro with a remote could help, but I'd love to have a left-handed compact camera on a magnetic mount or other secure holder up near the handle bar, something I could grab when I don't need the clutch, take a quick shot with the glove on, and put it away. Not the safest thing, I know, but I'm careful. :evil
  10. FuzzyDunlop

FuzzyDunlop Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the RX-100. Simply THE best pocket camera out there. Sensational image quality.
  11. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had been using a little Pentax waterproof camera, but was frustrated with the poor image quality. I went to a Panasonic LX-5 which was a huge improvement in quality and versatility, but much more vulnerable. I recently got a Pentax K-30 with the 18-135 mm lens and will try that on my next motorcycle trip. Like Skierd mentioned it is reasonably weatherproof which the LX-5 was not, so I won't be afraid to take it out in marginal weather and won't worry about getting a cover on the tank bag as soon as we get a bit of rain. The K-30 is certainly bigger than the P&S cameras but smaller than most DSLRs.

I would not consider bolting any DSLR to the handlebars because I don't think any mechanism with precision moving parts would survive hours of vibration.
  12. kuroda_tadayoshi

kuroda_tadayoshi Kuroda

Oddometer:
    A few on-line stores are closing out the Panasonic GX1. 42nd St has the best price right now at $240

http://www.42photo.com/pd-productid...x1_160_megapixel_digital_camera_(_black_).htm

Not too bad when you realize it was $700 when it came out about a year and a half ago.

The Sony compact is a damn fine camera. I just like the increased subject isolation a bigger sensor can give you. Combined the bigger sensor with a fast, longer prime, and the bokeh effect you get is better than a compact.
  13. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I am by no means a pro photog but a couple of years ago when I decided I need a new P&S I ended up buying a Sony DSC-TX5. I carry it in my left front pocket on a neck lanyard so that I can shoot while riding.

Things I like about it:

- Small and slim
    - Waterproof to 10 feet
    - Drop-proof/shock-resistant to some extent
    - Has lots and lots of different shooting modes
    - Front of it slides down so it's easy to turn on with gloves on vs. the tiny power button of my prior Canon P&S
    - Automatically does panorama shots with no need to take multiple pictures and stitch them together later - just sweep the camera while shooting and it does all of the processing internally
    - Only a 4X optical zoom but it is internal so there is no lens extension mechanism to break
    - I built a mount for it behind the windscreen on one of my bikes and can shoot HD vid with it (kind of a battery drainer since that's not its primary function but I carry an extra battery that I can charge in my electrified tank bag)
    - Aside from shooting vid the battery life is very good
    - Good in low light conditions

Things I don't like about it:

- Lens is in upper corner of it so need to be careful to keep fingers/gloves out of the picture
    - Touch screen menu driven so need to be careful not to touch the back of it when shooting while riding
    - No optical viewfinder and sometimes the screen viewfinder is hard to see in bright daylight

Still happy with it but I'm sure there's probably something better out there now since it is a couple of years old.
  14. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, it looks like I have to decide whether I can hack having an extra 4.67 oz in my pocket, if I retire my Lumix and go with an RX100. :D

But that looks like a hell of a camera, and nice shots, Lost Rider.
  15. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    There are always trade offs with cameras.. we all know that.. small cameras take more pictures because they fit in our pockets.. weather/shock proof cameras can reside around our neck or on the bike exposed and ready to go.. but lack the sensor size and features a serious photographer wants... it is a conundrum and can make your head explode :huh Lostrider's shots are stunning and represent the amazing picture quality you can get from just a palm sized camera when it is packed with a great sensor, and in the hands of a skilled photographer. But they are clearly not snap shots, he got off the bike and set up those shots. Properly exposing them, using a polarizing filter in at least one, and a tripod?? or other stabalizing device in the lowlight shots. So if you are going to get off the bike and set up your shot, why not a larger camera... a 4/3's or mirrorless. I know why LR doesnt,, because he travels long distances completely self sufficient on a relatively small bike. I think the RX100 is the perfect camera for that scenario....BUT.. if you can spare a bit more space you can still get a camera with more versatility and functionality...and image quality.

The Pentax (I am a 35 year Pentax fanboy in all fairness) K-01 is weather and dust sealed, has in body image stabalization that has been proven over the last 10 years to give you 2/3 of the IS capability of the in lens Nikon/Cannon systems, it can use the thousands of lenses produced over the last 50 years for the pentax K mounting bodies, and it has a DSLR sensor that rivals the class leading Pentax K-5 sensor for low light capabilities. Now it is substantially larger than the RX100 (nearly the size of a DSLR) so if size is a leading factor in your decision then the K-01 is not for you.. but if image quality and lens selection is.. the K-01 should be considered.. IMHO YMMV
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=pentax+k-01
  16. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    It ought to be noted that almost all of us have a point & shoot built into our phones. The optics & sensors on smart phones are getting better exponentially, with each generation. Since the phone is always on my belt for low res quick shots, I think the need for a pocket P & S decreases as time goes by. The latest mirrorless, big sensor, cameras aren't that much bigger than P & S cams but produce enormously better image quality, for more serious photography.
  17. alaninsea

alaninsea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hopfully if all goes well, will be on the Continental Divide this year.

Was planning on taking my Nikon DSLR (LowPro Backpack mounted on pillion seat - 23 lbs of camera gear!). It being my first offroad adventure ride, opting to leave it behind on this trip (know I'll be kicking myself later as the scenery passes by...).

I do like the Canon G-series (like the manual settings and RAW format). Last time I was looking at the Canon was around the G-12 era though (highly recomended). A bit bulkier than a point-and-shoot, but shouldn't be an issue. Don't know much about the G-15, but was playing around with it this past week - still seams like a great camera.

Since I have a point-and-shoot that still works that I can take (no manual or RAW), I been thinking about venturing towards a GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition with a chest mount. From the videos I've seen on Youtube, it takes great video on HD, even with changing light sources. Ultra-wide lens.

Also read the GoPro Hero3 has the ability of taking still shots. Controllable thru the App on the iPhone or Droid style phones (already mounted on my handlebars). Just started reseaching this option. It would be great to have a shots while riding and not having to fumble with a camera with your left hand.

I'm more of a Landscape / Portrait photographer, but after watching all the videos from Rawhyde, R1200GS, and the Continental Divide, I think the GoPro may be the way to go on a motorcycle adventure, at least for myself. Taking my point-and-shoot with me too.

Alan
  18. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    A good amount of thoughtful discussions happening here.

Like I said, there' no right or wrong and it's a good time to be wanting to buy a camera with all the excellent options in size, features and IQ for anyone to find what compromises they want to make.

I do travel a lot on a small bike, and I also do take the time to setup photos, (yes the night time photos are using a mini tabletop tripod), but I also have traveled and still do on much larger bikes where packing size is no issue. I've BTDT with carrying around a DSLR kit with an assortment of glass while traveling, and undoubtably in challenging lighting situations a DSLR will perform better or you can have more options with lenses, though 90% of the time I had larger cameras I shot with a 35mm prime lens because I like that focal length and the no compromise IQ and speed a prime gives.
    Granted all of my gear, including some bikes in the garage has been getting smaller over the years as I find more enjoyment with less weight, bulk and responsibly than goes with traveling with cameras that don't fit easily in at least a jacket pocket, especially when out of the country, not to mention more enjoyment in the actual act of riding on a lighter bike.
    It's also hard to get candid shots or not stick out when you have a big camera around your neck or shoulder, or stick a huge lens in someones face.
    I think the OP already came to the conclusion of not carrying a DSLR for his own reasons though.

We all have different tastes in what makes us happy and there's pro's and cons to everything.
    I've had some of the best cameras & glass that money can buy thinking that ultimate IQ somehow mattered and carried them on bikes for many miles, and for me, for my personal use and internet display I'm very content with the IQ the RX100 produces while taking into consideration the convenience it's size allows both on and off the bike. It's serious enough for me. :wink:

I agree about the smartphone comment, most of us have one and in good lighting conditions it's amazing what they can do and how they are improving, but the files don't hold up to any cropping plus once lighting isn't perfect the IQ turns to garbage and there's no manual control either.

I do however disagree about the MILC being that much if any better in IQ in most conditions, I haven't seen any photos that back up the comment about "cameras aren't that much bigger than P&S [size] cams but produce enormously better image quality, for more serious photography". Of course "better" is always subjective, but pocketability is not. :evil
    While I had the APS-C sensor Leica X1 and RX100 at the same time I did many side by side comparisons and there wasn't enough of a difference in IQ to justify keeping it or consider making the switch to any APS-C or 4/3 MILC camera.
    The only "larger" camera that interests me is the Sony RX1, but that's a pricey Full Frame camera in my favorite focal length and makes images on par with a Leica M9, but still would fit in a jacket pocket.
    One can only dream... :evil

A fun side by side comparison of a 5DII vs RX100.

http://mirrorlesscentral.com/canon-5d-mark-ii-vs-sony-rx-100-head-to-head/

The most honest review I've seen based on my own feelings about the RX100 that's also fun to watch for us camera geeks.

http://mirrorlesscentral.com/sony-rx100-review-dlsr-in-a-pocket-body-does-it-suck/
  19. SpeedyK

SpeedyK Lone Rider

Oddometer:
  20. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: