The Long Way..Part Three

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kneeslider, Oct 22, 2008.

1. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    I'm just glad there is SOMETHING to watch that has motorcycles in it. I really liked LWR, enjoyed RTD and was reasonably pleased with LWD. I'll watch whatever else they come up with - and it's certainly better than watching Friends re-runs.

And after watching all three series, my wife wants to ride with me more and doesn't give me "that look" when I talk about what bike to buy next.

Lastly, give Ewan a break. After LWR, he went back to Mongolia and adopted one of those homeless kids. That's a MAN for ya, in my opinion.
  2. Darkjedip

Darkjedip Designated Thread Killer

Oddometer:
    I'm very surprised by the amount of negative comments about both projects.

As many have said, ultimately most of us would give a finger for the opportunity to be wealthy or famous enough to pull off that kind of trip. Yes, there are some who have done more on less, but there aren't many.

I would further suggest that most of the criticism stems from the viewing of only the films, and not the books. Most of the posts I have read knocking Ewan and Charlie reference the films as they portray them.

An example of this:
    On another board, there was many posts knocking Ohlins because their shocks blew out in the early stages of the trip. What many did not know, because they only saw the shortened movie release, is in fact the crew blew out a total of 5 shocks, 3 Ohlins and 2 BMW stockers. While this still looks bad for Ohlins, its a clear demonstration that the conditions of the trip were hard on the bikes, and most shocks would probably not have lasted the whole trip. but because the films only included the information about the Ohlins, it makes that company's shocks look bad.

My point is, its really hard to form an opinion of the two, as the films (and even books) represent a small amount of the time actually spent on the trip. What may seem like whining for a majority of the tv series may actually represent 1/1000 of the time spent in country. For all we know, the other 999/1000 of the time, the boys were all smiles.

Further, I can't hold a grudge about the "more commercial" nature of the 2nd trip, as that was bound to happen. The more popular something becomes, the more corporations take notice and the more they are willing to part with money to get a piece of the action. While I agree that this has a detrimental effect of the validity of the work in progress, I think that the ends justify the means. As others have said, the trips have a lot to do with furthering the causes of UNICEF and other children's charities. Without these films, a lot of us (including myself) would have absolutely no knowledge of the fine work of this organization. And as Ewan said, he didn't care what others thought of his promotion of the cause, he wanted to do it for the kids. If anyone had doubts about his sincerity, he did go back and adopt a mongolian girl.

Really, when it comes to any kind of work of art, whether it be film or music, photography, etc; there will always be those who criticize because they can't, or because they can do better. Most here are the former, not the latter. If Ewan and Charlie do end up in my neck of the woods (S.F. bay area) i'll be there, no matter what.
  3. RTW Motorcycling

RTW Motorcycling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yup, there is a lot on ongoing debate and commentary about the series.

It's easy to forget but it is a reality show at the end of the day and meant for entertainment. It's not a documentary, even though it does come off this way at times.

To be more interesting, any series has to create conflict. That's why they dramaticize certain events. The tough riding in Monglolia? Sure it's wet and slippery and the bikes are heavy, but it's for only a day or three on a three month trip. It is also one of the most interesting parts of the series. But I can guarantee you that there were many other sections that were as challenging or more in different ways. They may have edited them out, maybe didn't get good film, or it didn't make as good of a story.

The shocks? Actually a little under represented as mentioned as many an Ohlin shock has died in Northern Kenya on the Moyale to Marsabit route. The fact is that the suspension on the 1200 has been suspect for a long time and the Ohlins are prone to failure. If you don't believe me, ask someone like Helge Peterson who is pretty open about stating that fact, and he is indeed sponsored by them. None of the guys that I rode with or met in Africa who had an assortment of different bikes had any rear shock failures, not one.

Couple of additonal things, I met a few guys along the way who had a chance to interact with them on either of the trips. Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, they are both really decent blokes, friendly, helpful and outgoing. At the end of the day they act like your everyday biker that you would meet on a long trip. I'm not sure I would be as kind putting up that sort of attention everyday so they certainly deserve a lot of slack.

Now that the cat's out of the bag and they are promoting the trip dates, I doubt that for security reasons that they'll be able to go back to a lean crew like in the first series. Africa is dangerous, but they'll be going through places like Colombia in South America as well and in a lot of places, the risk of kidnaping etc. is pretty high.
  4. Horton

Horton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like to travel by bike. I make photos and sometime a Video. But I didn't
    believe that anyone will see me riding through Iceland or Romania.

I love to see this Travel Bike Movies. And that's it...

Not a religion, a misson, a "must" to do the same.

It's good for a cold lonly Winter day
  5. dusty308

dusty308 wanderer

Oddometer:
    you know what i loved LWR and liked LWD (not a big fan of the wifey going along) and im really looking forward to LWU my only problem is they arent going all the way up i agree with you guys they should go to purdhoe bay it would just make sense. and your totally right novaboy Ewan isnt a pro and neither am i so i like the fact hes putting forth the effort, god knows we've all biffed and i certainly know i have, on a paved track (NHIS) and trails and most recently the TLH.
    cheers :beer
  6. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I for one am happy they are going to make another series - the previous have been quite entertaining. I must say that I agree with some here that California is only "The Long Way *Half*way up"... I also know that Charlie also reads these forums so... Charlie, I know you are reading this... dinner is on me when you get to British Columbia - continue the "up" and go all the way to Inuvik - even though you covered most that that boring highway on the LWR!
  7. Stkmkt1

Stkmkt1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone else remember a previous discussion By Ewan regarding not going all the way up? I seem to remember seeing it somewhere, but cannot put my finger on it. But I do remember that at first they were going up to north Alaska, but then decided not to do so.
  8. PacificPT

PacificPT Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just finished reading Lois on the Loose. Would like to have a film of the adventures she had riding all the way through the Americas.
  9. coyotetrips

coyotetrips Traveller

Oddometer:
    On the Long Way Down they started in John O'Groats, but in my opinion they should have started at the North Cape. So, It will be the same with Long Way Up, they don't do the longest possible trip.

I loved LWR (the book as well as the DVD), but wasn't so impressed with LWD. I hope their schedule is not as tight this time.

Stefan
    www.coyotetrips.de
  10. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I enjoyed both of the shows. It actually helped explain to SWMBO why I like to ride. I think both shows captured that transition from a day long ride, to a longer trip where the dates and schedule are let slip. When today is book-ended by more riding, and you live entirely in the present. As soon as you (I?) make that transition the whole mood and point of the trip changes and small things start to be interesting again - suddenly you feel properly alive and not just plodding through.

So both LWR/LWD were good... showed me places I want to take my bike. Made me dream of setting off on my own trips like that more. Now the itch is insatiable.

If it weren't for the shows I wouldn't have found Ted Simon story. (Preaching to the converted here it seems, but if you haven't read his books, well worth grabbing at very least the first one 'Jupiter's Travels')

I'm interested to see what they do... and disappointed they don't keep going north. But I suppose once they hit California it will be all slab, hotels, and garages. Where's the adventure in that ;) Ok tongue in cheek, but going from South to North the big adventure, the big new, that'll be much further south than the American border.
  11. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    One more thing - if they're looking for a company, I'm more than willing to saddle up for the trip. Heck, if the role of crash monkey is needed I'll even do that.

From the shows they seemed like regular guys that would be fun to ride with. Sorry I'm not sure the ADV crowd is normal :wink:

I always thought they should bring a real nobody on these trips to make the group seem even more regular. I think the big point has been that you don't need to be superhuman to do this. You just need time and money, and a strong desire to get out and do it. The stronger the desire the less money required ;)
  12. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:

They did.......Charley Boorman.

Had anyone ever heard of this guy before LWR? He was an out of work actor doing kitchen re-modeling to support his family when the trip started.
  13. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ya - but I mean a guy who never was an actor... sorta like me? ;)
  14. falcojake

falcojake Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i went to the NEC bike show today in birmingham (uk).

my uncle and i were mooching round the touratech stand whan my uncle says 'hey look theres charley borman, and hes changing a light bulb'

so i looked round and there he was standing in a chair adjusting a light a few feet away. (he was doing a book signing). later tory corsa came along and started talking to charley.surreal

all three of charleys TV show bikes were on display on the adjacent BMW stand.

anyway charley wasnt in south america. but i must admit i didnt talk to him or ask him about his plans.
  15. Rick West

Rick West Function not Farkles

Oddometer:

I know what you mean, but that would still apply to Boorman.:lol3
  16. woot_in_NS

woot_in_NS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    LOL - we know who Charlie would veto, but when Ewan's in a mood he might pick you ;)
  17. EEzz-rider

EEzz-rider 185lbs of creamy goodness

Oddometer:
    Celebrity...non-celebrity....he was doin this befor the ride ....the other guy was doin that befor the ride....who cares. IMHO these guys are bikers just like the rest of us when they put on that gear and head out on the road. They are exposed to all the same risks (more or less) as the rest of us when there out there. Much respect to both of these guys for having the balls to do what I can only imagine (at this piont in my riding life) are very challenging rides. Hell I give them props just for blowin off there regular jobs and going riding. I wish I could do it more often:lol3
  18. dusty308

dusty308 wanderer

Oddometer:
    what does IMHO mean??
  19. MarcMuller

MarcMuller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry but I have to bring this one up.....a lot of the comments here are about how little value LWD and LWR have just because of Mcgregor's fame and high profile and at the same time, I read ignorant and envious comments like the one above "Charlie Boorman is nothing but a kitchen remodeler and blah, blah...." so, I find it pretty contradicting and stupid. First of all....who the fuck cares what he does or did for a living, all that matters is that he went on an amazing trip and shared it with all of us. Second, I never heard him proclaim himself a Hollywood star....in fact, he doesn't even talk about it even though he's been in movies since the early 70s in about 11 or so films.....more than enough to call himself an actor.
    Last but not least, I think I'll never be able to go on an epic ride.....since I'm just a simple musical instruments sales person.....maybe I'll go to school and become a lawyer or a doctor or I'll be like one of the assholes in JoMomma bragging about their financial success.............before I'm worthy of getting on a bike and go.
    Also, I swear I'll never take the opportunity to enjoy an experience like this if one of my rich and famous friends wants to help me become part of the Production Team, generate a great business opportunity and the chance to help others at the same time....and I'd rather die before all of the above gets me free BMW R1200GSAs and Snap-On tools an all the other sponsorship perks Charlie Boorman got.......no fucking way in hell!!!!!!!

I wonder what the negative bunch think of StrikingViking and Pyndon....they shure go out of their way to share their rides with us and all they get is nothing but ass kissing and praise......
  20. idea man

idea man Remote Plate Spinner Supporter

Oddometer:
    If they did continue on past LA and SF and got up into BC, they would be best served to go over to the Cassiar and go up that way. Of course that would leave Quesnel out of the way (sorry). Then the only parts they'd retrace would be the part between Watson Lake and Whitehorse. They could decrease this even more if they took the Campbell highway from Watson Lake.
    Their reason for not going all the way up, is again, time away from the fam. Can't blame them on that. I'm just glad they are doing another one and hope they finish off the series with a Lap of OZ. They could call it All the Way Round .