The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. sail2xxs

sail2xxs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry! You're right.

We were talking about tires before.... - anyone have comparative experience running a 140 vs 150 rear on the Tenere? :ear

Chris
  2. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe Wasp has run both sizes - some discussion over on his thread
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=595933

can't tell you where to find it! but the thread is worth going through if you haven't read from page 1 before :lol3
  3. Big Mistake onWheels

Big Mistake onWheels Banned

Oddometer:
    And the topic IS ??? jus wondereds,all.
  4. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Panniers!

AND...contemplating tidy dash setup. (HDB top clamp, Warm N Safe Heat Troller for it, Ram ball with mirror eyelet)...other ideas for tidy minor farkle.

That's what's rolling through my head right about now.
  5. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK how's this for on-topic?

Nick Sanders in his latest blog post, written at the Guatemalan border (where he was held up for 8 hours), after riding from Prudehoe Bay over the last 9 days. Talking about the Super Tenere;

"I put 250mls of oil into the bike and set off. This bike is so tight. I never had reservations, just didn't know of what it was capable. It is more than tight; it is taut, like a piano string. It is a thoroughbred of a bike dressed in quiet clothing. It has a sense of understatement, as if to say, 'can I really do this?' but my God it can. My understanding of what this machine can do has been up-ended by the experience it has given me. It is superb. It will be a world beater. "

I think somehow this bike will be "good enough" don't you?

Trevor

PS When he says "worldbeater" I think that can safely be translated to "BMW beater".... But enough of that! :lol3
  6. Big Mistake onWheels

Big Mistake onWheels Banned

Oddometer:
    Yeah boy. I was off to buy another stinkie GS(& cancel the Tenere) the morning my Yammy dealer called about the August(rather than November) delivery dates for the Tenere. Was saved by maybe 20 minutes. Somebody up there likes me. Whew! Gonna LOVE this Yamaha . Gosh, I was lucky. This bike just keeps sounding better & better.
  7. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    you are both lucky and ........a....a sucker for punishment. We have learned on another thread that Sanders is a big self promoter and has a way of embellishing the facts. Since Yamaha supplied him the bike I suspect his rhetoric is a litlle over the top.
  8. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes that's quite likely but... being a self-promoter is a part of being in the business he's in. He wouldn't be able to do a lot of the stuff he does otherwise. So, take what he says with a grain of salt, sure, and Yamaha did supply the bike so of course he's going to say nice things if he wants another in the future. In the end though the bike still has to perform, and AFAIK it has been perfect so far, except for leaky fork seals. Don't forget it had already been South to North before he turned it around and started the record attempt.

Trevor
  9. Old Git Ray

Old Git Ray Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer:
    UK based, Bored because I am not travelling
    As for the fork seal problem.
    He has been riding non stop and has hardly had a chance to clean the bike. In fact he was disapointed when they did clean it whilst is was being serviced.
    Its not surprising that the seals have gone. Few of us would do that kind of mileage without cleaning the crap off many many times.

Or he could just be telling the truth... Stranger things have happened.

I spoke to nick before this trip and he had never even sat on an S10. He was asking me what they were like. And yes, he is full of himself but he is still the fastest man to circumnavigate the world on any bike. He has done this many times and ON HIS OWN. You need to have a special kind of dogged personality to do that. Probably not one that everyone would like.

On top of that he does this for a living and needs to promote himself. When was the last time you bought toothpaste or aftershave that you did not see advertised on TV with girls falling over themselves for the actor ?
    Promotion is all about embellishment but at then end of the day, all he has done to the bike is put 250ml of oil in the engine and blown a set of fork seals in about 24,000km.
  10. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    I like my topics better. :dunno

Sounds like you guys just started another debate. :bueller
  11. sail2xxs

Oddometer:
    250 mL oil? :huh Troll food! It's an oil burner. :roflSynthetic? Regular Rotella T? Which filter? :lol3

On a very serious note, I've been having a hell of a time trying to figure out which bash plate to start saving for.

The general consensus seems to be that the Yamaha plate is too light duty. Past personal experience makes me hesitant to use a bashplate that mounts to the sump, though I guess it's got to mount to something up front, and the engine is the only option (unless using the Rumpax integrated setup?)

I've been trying to get information on the Hepco Becker plate, which seemed to have the best solution (according to H3B? - what happened to him?) from his Intermot show visit.

Am I right in thinking that the rear of the AltRider and Hepco Becker plates both use the footpeg mounts in some way? What about the front of the plate? All the bracketry has me a bit worried. Also (with no intentions of turning this into an oil thread!) which is easier to remove for oil changes?

Thanks,

Chris
  12. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    SW-Motech fits into this same catagory as it also mounts via a pressed cross piece to the frame both sides at the rear.

Greg
  13. Ze_zaskar

Ze_zaskar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you can see by their manual:

[​IMG]
  14. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:

Still mounts to the sump up front though? or are these set up somehow that they can't damage the engine the same way the OEM one can?
  15. dave6

dave6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. Goldie05

Goldie05 Fast George

Oddometer:
    Wow, looks like 8 bolts need to come out so you can get to the filter :eek1 for an oil change

With the miles I do it will become a pain pretty soon :wink:
    Looks like I will be making a little mod to the unit to add a few more bolts just so I can get the filter out
  17. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    I believe the problem with the OEM is the rear mount, which bolts directly to the sump underneath.
  18. sail2xxs

Oddometer:
  19. ~TABASCO~

~TABASCO~ Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Picture shows it still being bolted to the sump... NO WAY for me... No you dont pop a hole in the rear,,,, you blow the whole front out.. :lol3 I know the SW guys are thinking they are using the plate as a fulcrum, and they think they are safe with those front sump mounts, but not for me...
    Thanks for posting pic....
  20. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Are those solid metal collars or are the two sump bolts rubber "bumpers". If rubber bumpers I can see that being about the best solution you could hope for. The plate will take most of the hit with the bracket but a serious hit will be further absorbed by the rubber bumpers, if they're rubber.